GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,485
1 members and 1,484 guests
NikiMussen

Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
It's not about living off of your upper class parents or denying that anyone has worked hard to earn what they have. It's about recognizing that that upper class background can provide advantages not available to everyone and possibly open doors not open to everyone.
That's not necessarily true.

We live for each other.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpimiz View Post
It's not always true, but think about it this way. Kid A comes from a single parent household, Mom has a high school diploma only and works at Family Dollar. Kid B grew up in a house with a lawyer mom and a doctor dad. Both kids can, through hard work, ace the SATs, make straight As and get into a great college, right? Right!

But Kid A didn't grow up in an environment where it's common knowledge that you should take the PSAT, study for the SAT and take it early. Let alone an environment where it's common knowledge that SAT tutors/courses are available. Kid A has not been exposed to professionals in social circles, and those differences in social norms stick out like a sore thumb in an interview situation. I could go on, but I don't want to write a novel.

I'm not much for entitlements but can you at least acknowledge that difference?
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpimiz View Post
Quote:
It's not about living off of your upper class parents or denying that anyone has worked hard to earn what they have. It's about recognizing that that upper class background can provide advantages not available to everyone and possibly open doors not open to everyone.
You did note that I said "can" and "possibly"?

That said, I think it's fairly rare that it's not true, at least to some extent. And frankly, I think it's fairly common for people from more advantaged backgrounds not to realize, at least for a long time, just how much difference that background may have made.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
You did note that I said "can" and "possibly"?

That said, I think it's fairly rare that it's not true, at least to some extent. And frankly, I think it's fairly common for people from more advantaged backgrounds not to realize, at least for a long time, just how much difference that background may have made.
I agree with all of this. And it can even be extended to prenatal care while your mom was pregnant with you, having more nutritious foods available to you making you healthier, living in areas where you don't lose sleep at night because of the gun shots in the streets, and being warm because the heat and electricity are on.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
I agree! I live in a swing state and I've never seen so many commercials in one day! I am Republican and voted as such.
Ditto with the phone calls. I decided about a week ago that everything was going to voicemail.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
I am a republican-----I have voted independent (though rare), but NEVER democrat.

I do consider myself a more moderate republican in the sense that i do think there should be more stricter laws regarding the environment.

Other than that, I'm republican all the way, I support Ernie Fletcher for Kentucky Governor this year, I support George W. Bush, and especially our troops at home and abroad.
EEK! I've changed. I'm still a registered republican so I can vote in primaries, but I consider myself more libertarian these days. If the democrats put up a better candidate (as was the case with several offices in Kentucky this past election) I have no problem voting outside my party. I vote for the best candidate, not the party line. That is how dipsticks get elected.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
If the democrats put up a better candidate (as was the case with several offices in Kentucky this past election) I have no problem voting outside my party. I vote for the best candidate, not the party line. That is how dipsticks get elected.
I agree. I consider myself Republican/Libertarian. Fiscally very conservative, socially liberal/moderate (VERY pro gay-rights, pro-choice, pro-environment). However, economic issues tend to be more important to me, so I lean right. I really dislike the crazies on both sides of the spectrum.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I am extremely liberal. I vote that way every time. I live in a fairly split location, leaning towards the red. I'm also a poli sci major. My professors are mostly liberal but i choose a very conservative advisor to get a more well rounded view.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I've voted Republican most of my life, but have also leaned Democrat on a few occasions. This year I'm voting Third Party, and what's surprised me is the criticism I'm getting from my Democrat friends and colleagues, who've said everything from "a vote for Johnson is a vote for Trump" to "you're giving the election to a racist".

I've gotten zero criticism from my GOP friends.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

That's because they agree with your Democratic friends; they're just too savvy to say it.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
I've voted Republican most of my life, but have also leaned Democrat on a few occasions. This year I'm voting Third Party, and what's surprised me is the criticism I'm getting from my Democrat friends and colleagues, who've said everything from "a vote for Johnson is a vote for Trump" to "you're giving the election to a racist".

I've gotten zero criticism from my GOP friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLadyAKA View Post
That's because they agree with your Democratic friends; they're just too savvy to say it.
BossLady is correct.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW, this has not been up dated in a really long time???

Look at what is going on in OUR COUNTRY so, is anyone besides me upset with all of the Shinola that has me been going on???

What happened to The Three Branches of The Government?

If Trump did nothing illegal, why not let his people testify?

Is The NEWs reporting the NEWs or MAKING IT?

Is there a need for a 3 rd Major Party?
Do not mean like the clucks from from the tea bag party, LMAO!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-02-2020, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
WOW, this has not been up dated in a really long time???

Look at what is going on in OUR COUNTRY so, is anyone besides me upset with all of the Shinola that has me been going on???

What happened to The Three Branches of The Government?

If Trump did nothing illegal, why not let his people testify?

Is The NEWs reporting the NEWs or MAKING IT?

Is there a need for a 3 rd Major Party?
Do not mean like the clucks from from the tea bag party, LMAO!
Sorry can't resist.

What happened to The Three Branches of The Government? Working perfectly fine. All at odds, bitching at each other -- Since the beginning of our time.

If Trump did nothing illegal, why not let his people testify? Executive privilege is very import. The Pres. has be able to talk crazy chit to his immediate staff -- i.e.; brainstorming, goofy policy ideas, etc. Let the courts decide -- see answer above.

I'll leave the others alone.