GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,732
0 members and 1,732 guests
No Members online

Old 03-11-2016, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
If Americans actually knew what they wanted and were prepared to do what it took to get there, there would be a revolution. But the fact is most Americans want easy, feel good answers and don't really want to search inwardly to see how they feel. As an example, seriously, when it comes down to it, am I a racist who thinks the one true America is white and Christian and we just tolerate the rest of those people? Disregarding my opinion that you need serious mental health support, you need to start by owning that. You think healthcare and education should be free, as they are in so many other countries? You have to be able to tax for that. You think rich people shouldn't have to pay taxes? You need to be able to deal with the fact that schools may not function and streets won't be plowed. I think far too many people want to say "We're #1! We're #1!" but not address the fact that we are not #1 in virtually any definable category, including, health, education, safety or life expectancy. They want free free free but don't want to pay taxes. Or want no taxes but still expect services. It's time for Americans to become grown up voters. Do your research, figure out what issues are critical to you and vote based on that.

There are online polls out there where you can answer a bunch of questions and it will tell you which candidate/s you most closely align with. But the test in an of itself is helpful because it forces you to decide how you really feel about a bunch of issues.
Hear, hear DubaiSis! I happily voted for Senator Sanders in our primary and will proudly support whoever the Dem nominee is. Win or lose the nomination, Senator Sanders has moved to the fore many issues many of us haven't wanted to look at, much less address. But which are very real and very pressing. No, we haven't been Number One for years and years. It's time to face facts and acknowledge that and then take the necessary steps to improve ourselves from within. Perhaps because I have lived in both European and South American countries for extended periods of time, I have seen up close and personal how superior many of the systems they have developed are to ours. Even in Colombia, where I lived for two years as a Peace Corps volunteer many years ago, there is now Universal Healthcare. Public transportation in Europe is a dream and car traffic and emissions are down, down, down. Skies are brilliantly blue such as I haven't seen here since I was a child. Garbage is recycled and put to use for district heating and recently in Vienna, Austria district air conditioning. We are so far behind in these things it is pitiful.

Yes, we could be Number One again if we had the public will and political power to do so. And I am hardly thinking of the way The Donald is proposing LOL!

Chi Omega
Old 03-11-2016, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not crazy about any of the choices, but I will make a point of voting if only to cast my ballot against someone I hate.

That may involve voting for someone I don't necessarily love, but if I can do my part to keep someone I FREAKING DESPISE out of office, I view that as my civic duty. I have been an "Anyone but X" voter a few times; I'm all right with that.

Also, both of my parents separately took me aside to chastise me the one year I skipped voting. I had a very busy day, and it was a year that there was no presidential election and no local mayoral election**, and no policy votes that particularly interested me. I got bitched out separately by my then-separated parents, both of whom, individually, pointed out that as a minority and as a woman, I had better not ever take that for granted that two separate groups of people literally have died so that I could vote. That? Hit home.

(**I'm registered to vote in Washington DC, where my presidential vote matters perhaps less than anywhere else. I STILL got bitched out such that I for sure will never skip a presidential election.)
Old 03-11-2016, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Aren't we #1 in college education? Not sure if that's worth bragging about, but I do believe US is the top choice for foreign students to further their education.

I lived in France briefly during the Bush years, and what was surprising to me was how tuned into American politics the people were there. And everywhere I traveled to - Spain, Italy, Germany, UK - I met many young people, who despite the problems/issues we have in America, desperately wanted to come here, some of them told me it was their dream to live in America.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWguy View Post
Aren't we #1 in college education? Not sure if that's worth bragging about, but I do believe US is the top choice for foreign students to further their education.
I think you may be missing the point...

@~/~~~~
Old 03-11-2016, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I think the point has been missed. But as far as college education, I would contend there is a gap between interest in and quality of education. Huge Big 10, Pac10, SEC type schools are definitely huge interest, but do you get a better education? Arguable. Going to school in England or Germany (or Iran) would not be nearly as fun, but the actual academics are there. And free. In Germany it's free even if you're a foreigner. I don't know the details like that in other countries. So yes, we KILL it on frat parties. Med school or business school training? maybe, maybe not.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Probably at the Ivy level, yes--at least in terms of prestige, who knows about actual educational attainment? Comparing U.S. educational attainment with other countries becomes very problematic very quickly.

Let's just start at accessibility. We have such a laissez-faire approach to education here. We've allowed the proliferation of fly-by-night for-profit colleges, our bachelors degrees have become watered down and costs to students have soared and access to lower-income students isn't improving.

The Sanders campaign has made some excellent points regarding education. I think we'd do well to join much of the developed world and fully funding higher education. Massive student loans cripple students upon graduation and delay or deny them the opportunity to start families, buy houses, nice cars, etc.--activities which grow the economy.

I think most international students come here for American language and cultural immersion--not necessarily because of the quality of our academics. Ivies and high-end schools excepted.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-11-2016, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone said upthread, too many people fought and died for me not to vote, so I do.

As is also the case, there are no "virgins" in American politics -- those looking for ideological purity are always disappointed. Either vote for whom you like best or against whom you dislike most.

But if you sit at home and don't vote, the rest of us will decide.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 03-11-2016, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I came out of longtime lurkdom especially to respond to this. I am European (continental, not a native speaker so I hope I get my point across without insulting someone unintentionally) but studied in the US for a while and I found the course work to be very easy. Granted, I didn't go to an Ivy League school but it was a decent state school in the Midwest nontheless. So yes, for me studying in the US was all about the experience (which was fantastic and second to none!), not the intellectual challenge.

As for your pending elections... To quote Joseph de Maistre (I had to Google that): "Every nation gets the government it deserves." But following your elections from the other side of the pond, I think you deserve better than, well, one particular candidate. So choose wisely please. Having said that... We seem to have our fair share of embarrassing politicians in Europe these days as well.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Or another favorite quote, I believe credited to Churchill, "Americans always do the right thing. After they've tried everything else."
Old 03-11-2016, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I almost didn't vote in the primary this year. I had absolutely no preference among the available candidates so why vote? Pros and cons are as close to equal as you can get for me. I ended up voting and I don't even know why I circled in the bubble I did. I could have just as easily gone the other way.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
After tonight, I am completely convinced that Trump is deliberately inciting violence and setting himself up as the one who can restore law and order. I think he is dangerous, I think a President Trump is the road to fascism, and I will vote for anyone I think can prevent him. That means that, depending on where things stand by the time my state's primary rolls around, it's possible I will actually take a GOP ballot and vote for Cruz.

I dislike just about every one of Cruz's policies, social, economic, and military, but I don't see him reminiscing about the good ol' days when it was cool to rough up people who got out of line.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
I'm an Independent as well. I've voted GOP the previous two elections (2012, 2008) and Dem before that (2004, 2000).

I think Kasich isn't capturing the mood of the GOP party right now. They appear to be angry, hostile and fed up (with whatever they're fed up about), and Trump's brash tone of political campaigning appeals to them. Kasich is too low key, too nice for them at the moment.

I'll research third party candidates - thanks for the recommendation. I was hoping that Michael Bloomberg would jump in the race, but he reportedly isn't doing it.
As a civil rights activist focused primary on 2nd Amendment issues, I am tickled that Bloomberg chose not to run. I find him just as dictatorial as most of the Republicans, on an okay-for-me-but-not-for-thee stance.

But unless Kasich can pull out a win, in which case I will reconsider, it's third party for me this year.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I like Kasich! He is not in the fray of beating up on the others! He is a lot calmer than the hell bent kill your opponent! Trump is wearing me out with his inciting people to beat up on those that oppose him! Reminds me to much of someone who did that in the late 1930's.

I am not ready for that at all!

While at 74, I am considered and Oldster, those in Congress My ge on both sides of the aeiles must be voted out and get new and younger blood in there who do not make a damn job out of it, not a calling!So, figure out if you are getting screwed on your own!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-12-2016, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 03-12-2016, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't like going into the election with having to choose between the lesser of two evils. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, or maybe I'm boneheaded, but I feel that my vote should go to the candidate that best deserves it. Not saying that's right, just saying that's how I feel. And, thus far, without yet researching third party candidates, I'm not satisfied with giving anyone my vote.

Trump annoys me, but he doesn't scare me. If elected, I think enough members of Congress are going to butt heads with him and he won't get anything done. At the very worst, we'll end up with a lame duck president, or he'll get impeached.

I think the only guarantee right now is that it's going to be a bumpy ride through November.