GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,734
2 members and 1,732 guests
Cookiez17, Sen's Revenge

Old 05-07-2010, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
LOL.

I was thinking a super masculine guy lifting weights so he can be buff and accomplished when he kicks it with the Masons and Illuminati.
LOL, that's just as entertaining!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPHI JOURNEAUX View Post
So that really puts it in context..... women are under a different standard, their pledging processes are a lot different than anything I've seen, cause well women are emotional, men we like a sense of accomplishment... Yes we actually want our members to feel like they accomplished something, and it wasn't just given to them...

thanks for the first bit of good advice. ill look into the pledging standards for other frats.

thanks
It's your state laws that define hazing. Local and institutional laws may be even stricter.

Wisconsin Hazing Law

948.51 Hazing.

(1) In this section "forced activity" means any activity which is a condition of initiation or admission into or affiliation with an organization, regardless of a student's willingness to participate in the activity.

(2) No person may intentionally or recklessly engage in acts which endanger the physical health or safety of a student for the purpose of initiation or admission into or affiliation with any organization operating in connection with a school, college or university. Under those circumstances, prohibited acts may include any brutality of a physical nature, such as whipping, beating, branding, forced consumption of any food, liquor, drug or other substance, forced confinement or any other forced activity which endangers the physical health or safety of the student.

(3) Whoever violates sub. (2) is guilty of:

(a) A Class A misdemeanor if the act results in or is likely to result in bodily harm to another.

(b) A Class E felony if the act results in great bodily harm or death to another.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Bump for the rest of the morning crew who, like myself, missed out last night.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I've watched a LOT of curling this year...wonder how anyone can have curling be their LIFE!?

To the OP, your statement that women play "mind games" and men are just physical is just patently BS. As for women not needing a sense of accomplishment, take a look at the college graduation stats! Women are beating men at that little sign of accomplishment...I think that's a little more important than putting up with stupid hazing as a sense of accomplishment!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Thanks! I would have missed this!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
This is absurd and yet so much fun. Better watch out though, OP could go all Da Vinci Code on our asses.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. Look what finals made me miss!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by AZPHI JOURNEAUX; 05-07-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thank god someone with a constructive post.
Then you are truly an idiot who has not done your research.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank god someone with a constructive post.

ok apply that to what we do, I'm sorry I don't see it. the student org director closely monitors the group, if he had a problem with it he would ask us to change it.

I know what others do to make their process more fun and such.

to answer all the other questions Illuminati means enlightened.... Wikipedia actually has it close to what we do.... and what we have done.... theres a lot here that isn't discussed and wont be.

as for the Curling, its a sport like any other, go trying before you dis it. its a lot of fun.

as for the Freemasons, for those that don't understand what Freemasons do, yes there are things that Templars do that isn't for the public, but its for the most part a society of philanthropy. we run hospitals for children, that there is no costs for the patents.
Yeah...that's a defense that would hold up in court

I think the point you are missing is that your pledging activities should be constructive and should have a point. Interviewing pledges with a bright light shining in their face is neither. This would also look questionable when added to other activities should something go wrong during your program. And sorry, saying "Well, they don't have to do it if they don't want to" isn't a good enough defense against the hazing charge.

AOII

Old 05-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
And sorry, saying "Well, they don't have to do it if they don't want to" isn't a good enough defense against the hazing charge.
Yeah because the question is whether they can decline without any negative consequences.

On that note, what I call "legalized hazing" is so common and normative in so many non-GLO aspects of societies. I understand why GLOers get confused about what is and is not appropriate. That's why they should defer to policies and the law rather than "common sense."
Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah because the question is whether they can decline without any negative consequences.

On that note, what I call "legalized hazing" is so common and normative in so many non-GLO aspects of societies. I understand why GLOers get confused about what is and is not appropriate. That's why they should defer to policies and the law rather than "common sense."
Very good point.

AOII

Old 05-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not exactly, the law seems to add that the forced activity must endanger the physical health or safety of the student. It then goes on to enumerate thigns which definitely violate the Act. An interview (or whatever) under most conditions under this particular Act is fine. This is a pretty weak anti-hazing statute. That said, I'm not licensed to practice law in Wisconsin, so this isn't legal advice. While this particular Act doesn't look applicable to the situation described here, I very well could be wrong.

Quote:
We've had the discussion on this forum a lot of times -- the word "hazing" carries such varying definitions from group to group that it's darn near meaningless. In many cases, groups describe hazing (in part) as something which might cause "mental discomfort." WTF is that? Or better, WTF isn't that?

Am I to understand that the only physically exerting activity for initiation into this group is curling? As in the Olympic sport?

+1000 Internets for weirdness, but what's the issue there?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Not exactly, the law seems to add that the forced activity must endanger the physical health or safety of the student.
I wasn't talking about the law in that part of my post. When you say someone can technically decline something, you have to be realistic about whether declining will result in the same rights, responsibilities, and treatment as those who don't decline.

It rarely does.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Oh, thank you for the entertainment tonight.

----------
. . . [I]"I am both a first degree Freemason and a member of the Illuminati. "
Quote:
to answer all the other questions Illuminati means enlightened.... Wikipedia actually has it close to what we do.... and what we have done.... theres a lot here that isn't discussed and wont be.
Shades of Dan Brown, now this is some funny stuff. How did I miss this earlier?

Illuminati poser, everyone knows the first rule of the Illuminati is to publically deny that the Illuminati exists. Naughty, naughty Illuminatus.