GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,708
1 members and 1,707 guests
flamboyanttree
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 09:05 PM

A rec was required for a bid to be given, not to invite the girl back to parties which is what I think robinseggblue meant.

The girls at the OP's school have no idea if recs were sent in for them without their knowledge. If the school is near larger flagship schools where recs are de rigueur and sorority alumnae are writing lots of them, I think it would be likely.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
A rec was required for a bid to be given, not to invite the girl back to parties which is what I think robinseggblue meant.

The girls at the OP's school have no idea if recs were sent in for them without their knowledge. If the school is near larger flagship schools where recs are de rigueur and sorority alumnae are writing lots of them, I think it would be likely.
I can assure you that at some schools in some chapters a rec is required and received in hand before recruitment even starts in order to be invited back after round one. The "heavy cuts" after round one we read about here are not always about cuts for grades.

Chi Omega
Old 09-08-2015, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Christ Almighty.... how many times and in how many ways do we have to say this?

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. If the policy of a sorority states that a rec is required, it is required on ALL CAMPUSES, no matter what the "culture" might be.
The campus culture mention reminded me -- I have been meaning to ask about some wording I saw on Belmont University's site:

Quote:
Do I need letters of recommendation?
Quote:

Though it is common practice across the country that for membership in Panhellenic Association (PA) or Interfraternity Council (IFC) organizations students are required or encouraged to seek out recommendation letters from current members in those groups, Belmont’s PA and IFC groups made the intentional decision to not support this practice in an effort to be inclusive so that all students have an equal opportunity to join. Though we allow our students to set their own high standards for membership (GPA requirements, service requirements, personal conduct requirements…etc.), it is the goal of Belmont that any student who wants to be a member of a fraternity or sorority has the opportunity to do so. Due to the personal nature of membership intake into a National Pan-Hellenic Council organization, recommendation letters may be requested for Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. http://www.belmont.edu/organizations/greek/faq.html

Yet on 3 of the 4 Belmont chapters' websites (AGD, Theta, and Phi Mu) instructions/addresses for sending recs for PNMs are included.
Gotta wonder about that "campus culture" statement on the Belmont Greek Life site, as well as how much PA agreement or commitment there is regarding not supporting this "practice."

It seems like erring on the side of caution (obtaining recs in advance) might be a good idea.

Last edited by Hartofsec; 09-08-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:30 PM

That sounds like yet another chapter in the "jeans are ok for rush per the website (but if you wear them you get cut)" novel.

ETA: there are more than a few things on that Greek Life website that I really wonder if the people who they pertain to were actually consulted.

Last edited by 33girl; 09-08-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Yes! Statements such as these can be such a disservice to young ladies going through recruitment. In this instance, a collegiate panhellenic doesn't have the authority to change any participating sorority's selection process no matter how many votes they make take about it. And of course many GLOs don't accept recs from active members. Why they would want to mislead PNMs is quite beyond me.

Chi Omega
Old 09-09-2015, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIXO View Post
It is possible the chapter can call around to your hometown during rush and try to find a rec for you if they want you bad enough.
YEARS ago, I got a call on a Friday night from a friend in town whose sorority had a chapter at a small southern school. The PNM in question had been my student for 7th grade math and science. Knowing the girl, I said, "Lovely girl. Fine family."

(She pledged a another sorority.)
Old 09-09-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
I can assure you that at some schools in some chapters a rec is required and received in hand before recruitment even starts in order to be invited back after round one. The "heavy cuts" after round one we read about here are not always about cuts for grades.
Yes. No one is doubting that. But there are campuses at the other end of the spectrum where if a chapter, even one with a "must have rec to be bid" policy, cut all the girls that didn't have recs at any time in the rush process, they would have zero girls to choose from.

There are sororities who have a "must have rec to be bid" policy. There are schools where very few rushees have recs before rush starts. Sometimes these two things overlap. How and when those chapters obtain recs is strictly their affair. The main difference of opinion in this thread is whether recs are needed at OP's school - she says they're not because laid back, and mostly everyone else says they are, because rerushing in the south.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:55 AM

Quote:
^^^ Yes! Statements such as these can be such a disservice to young ladies going through recruitment. In this instance, a collegiate panhellenic doesn't have the authority to change any participating sorority's selection process no matter how many votes they make take about it. And of course many GLOs don't accept recs from active members. Why they would want to mislead PNMs is quite beyond me.
Wow, I didn't catch the part about current members the first time around. It makes it sound like they have to get them from chapter members at the school. Who on earth wrote this??!? I googled the Greek life director, it's not like she went to a school without NPCs.

Last edited by 33girl; 09-09-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Robionseggblue, I'm not going to argue with you. None of us here has intimate knowledge of membership selection for any but our own sorority. And that is confidential for each sorority. For mine, the National policy is for EVERY chapter regardless of individual campus.

PNMs don't know if a rec has been written for them or not. I've never seen mine! Nor do I know what information was in it! Going out and asking for a rec is not the only way of getting one. Back in the day when I pledged, it was considered very bad form to ask for one. It is actually easier now for a PNM as she can ask for consideration for one. This is especially important for a PNM who might otherwise go unnoticed in the crazy world of sorority recruitment.

Please bear in mind that a PNM is NOT going to change the rules of the game! It's each sorority that gives out invitations, not the other way around.
This. ZTA requires a rec for each woman pledged. University of State campus tradition will not trump that requirement. There may be a lone alum feverishly writing recs in a back room for those PNMs the chapter wants to pledge who do not have recs, but if it is a national requirement, there must be a rec.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:11 PM

My sorority requires recs. Period. Fini. End of story. Don't care what campus culture says.

At a school like my alma mater with relatively small pledge classes, we will procure the rec for a PNM we want. At a southern-type school or any other school with a huge rush, it IS possible that our sorority would go through the trouble of procuring recs for a PNM but it is highly unlikely since there are so many others who checked all the boxes, so to speak.

That said, I truly wish you the best of luck in recruitment. You sound like you've done an impressive job in making the most of the last year!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I can guarantee you that NO PNM at DZ at Drexel had a rec. Not a one.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
I can guarantee you that NO PNM at DZ at Drexel had a rec. Not a one.
Drexel is a small school pledge-class wise. If they got a bid, someone got a rec for them whether they know it or not.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
... or by some poor woman frantically scribbling out recs for girls that she has never met in a back room, A REC WAS REQUIRED.
Because this totally makes sense.

Yes... I get it. You have your "national policy." I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry that your group has to jump through hoops and "some poor woman" has to "frantically scribbling out recs for girls that she has never met in a back room" in order to meet a requirement.

"Hmmm, let me read a piece of paper (resume) with some information about this girl. oh, yeah, she sounds like she's be a GREAT addition to our sisterhood, sure, I'll write this rec for her because it's a national requirement to do so..."

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. And who actually reads these fine pieces of paper and gives seal of approval for initiation? Are you telling me that someone actually goes through with a fine tooth comb during the new member time period and determines if someone's rec should be null and void and not allow that new member to initiate BASED ON THAT REC? Dumb. This policy is a waste of time and resources.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post
Drexel is a small school pledge-class wise. If they got a bid, someone got a rec for them whether they know it or not.
I have been an alum who was working feverishly behind the scenes at a "no rec required" campus, back when KD required recs for every bid. The rushees/PNMs had no idea. Probably most of the chapter had no idea.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOE-7 View Post
Because this totally makes sense.

Yes... I get it. You have your "national policy." I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry that your group has to jump through hoops and "some poor woman" has to "frantically scribbling out recs for girls that she has never met in a back room" in order to meet a requirement.

"Hmmm, let me read a piece of paper (resume) with some information about this girl. oh, yeah, she sounds like she's be a GREAT addition to our sisterhood, sure, I'll write this rec for her because it's a national requirement to do so..."

laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. And who actually reads these fine pieces of paper and gives seal of approval for initiation? Are you telling me that someone actually goes through with a fine tooth comb during the new member time period and determines if someone's rec should be null and void and not allow that new member to initiate BASED ON THAT REC? Dumb. This policy is a waste of time and resources.
So it is lame in your opinion, and a waste of time and resources in your opinion, but since it isn't your organization, then it's not your monkey; not your circus. Snarking on other Greek organizations' rules, traditions and regulations is bad form and makes for an ugly sandbox at playtime.
Closed Thread