GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 748
3 members and 745 guests
indygphib, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-03-2003, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

The difference between Black Greeks and Multi-Cultural Greeks?

Do you think that Black Greek fraternities are better then Multi-Cultural Fraternities. Why? There is a strong sense of brotherhood in both, one just focuses on one color the other does not. So why did you decided to be part of a black Greek organization as opposed to a multi-cultural fraternity/ Other then the obvious reason of the culture around black Greeks i.e. the steps. I am just confused. I do not ask this questions for advise about joining, just out of curiosity, because I have talked to my local chapter about it and I am still just curious about what others have to say, before I make my decision.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

It all depends on what you're really looking for.

I have a lot of admiration for MCGLO's, but that wasn't what was in my heart.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
"perhaps we are asking the wrong questions..."

No one can say that one kind of Greek-lettered fraternity is better than another one- it all depends on your interests.

Historically Black Greek Organizations don't focus on color as opposed to other Greek organizations. Our organizations were founded in a time when there really was no other choice. Today, I personally see HGBLO's as testaments to African-American culture. The focus is not on one's skin color- all of our orgs have members of different shades, races, what have you. The difference is that HBGLO's focus more on the needs and concerns of peopole of African descent; and we celebrate US as people of African descent.

So in short, the premise of your question is incorrect. We do not focus on color while others do not- rather we are focused specifically on communities of African descent.

Does that answer your question?
Old 09-04-2003, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
Re: "perhaps we are asking the wrong questions..."

Quote:
Originally posted by enlightenment06

Historically Black Greek Organizations don't focus on color as opposed to other Greek organizations.

The difference is that HBGLO's focus more on the needs and concerns of people of African descent; and we celebrate US as people of African descent.

So in short, the premise of your question is incorrect. We do not focus on color while others do not- rather we are focused specifically on communities of African descent.

Does that answer your question?
Can you please elaborate? It sounds like you are splitting hairs, ie, focusing on color vs. focusing on the needs of people of a certain color.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
clarification

What I'm saying is that we don't focus on a certain community because of color (meaning actual pigmentation) nor race. Race is a socially constructed system which doesn't really exist except in our own minds. Our organizations were founded to address the specific needs of people of African descent who are labeled in western society as Black. We are historically "Black" as a result of the institution of race. Nowhere in any of our constitutions do we mention race, but we do make reference to being people of African descent.

For example the ancient civilizations of Kush, Egypt, etc., holds meaning for us because these are ancient African kingdoms. You might then ask, "why use Greek letters?" Well if you think about it, if we used Swahili, Arabic, or some other African language in the early 20th century, no one would understand nor accept our organizations. Futhermore lynching was very much an overt reality and a "Black" person could be hung from a tree at any moment.

Is it racist or anti-white? No. Alpha Phi Alpha was founded specifically for the reason that people of African descent, called black, colored or negro then, were being persecuted on a very regular basis. One of our founders said the quote in my signature, "Society offered us narrowly circumscribed opportunity and no security. Out of our need, our Fraternity brought social purpose and social action."

We were integrated in the 1940's nearly 20 years before Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society" rocked U.S. history.

So, in short, we don't focus on race. I went on a little longer than I meant to, but I guess that's the Alpha in me.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool Whatever suits you

I get the impression your question seeks the reader's opinion on which organization is culturally the best. I hope I'm wrong. My take on it is that no culture is better than the other. Every culture is equally important and equally valuable-depending on who you ask. When a person decides which organization to join, they should consider what is important to them personally, and then look at the prospective organization and see if the organization promotes and commits to the same virtues. As for culture and Greek-lettered organizations, it's a natural part of one's decision. People gravitate to people who share their interests. I decided to pledge my fraternity because it was founded by African-American men FOR African-American men; and I'm African-American. Also, I liked and believed in the principles of the founders of my frat, and the chapter I pledged did what they could to practice those principles.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

...Glad to see the Original Ape is back in the House. What up, bruh? Can DirtyMike1906 be far behind???
~ Luke 19:10
Old 09-12-2003, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool Eh Bruh!

I'll probably see him next weekend. You goin' to the big game in Cleveland?
Old 09-12-2003, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no problem saying we (the Alphas, and I think the other D9s as well) focus on the needs of the AA community, the community from which most of our brotherhood comes. As Enlightenment06 alluded to earlier, A Phi A was born because our founders were denied entrance into the existing fraternities of the day.

To me that's always been a guiding focus of Alpha's work. The problems in the AA community (pick a state, it's the same all over) are too acute for us not get involved and make positive change happen. If we don't do it, who will? Sure, we're citizens of the world, and as such will help anybody in need, but our primary goal, in my opinion is leading the spiritual, moral, economic and social revitalization of our community. To me, that's as laudable a goal as anyone can suggest.

Don't know if this answers your question, but hopefully it offers additional perspective.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 09-12-2003, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: The difference between Black Greeks and Multi-Cultural Greeks?

Quote:
Originally posted by ethnic20
Do you think that Black Greek fraternities are better then Multi-Cultural Fraternities. Why? There is a strong sense of brotherhood in both, one just focuses on one color the other does not. So why did you decided to be part of a black Greek organization as opposed to a multi-cultural fraternity/ Other then the obvious reason of the culture around black Greeks i.e. the steps. I am just confused. I do not ask this questions for advise about joining, just out of curiosity, because I have talked to my local chapter about it and I am still just curious about what others have to say, before I make my decision.
The issue has more to do with what is your "motivation"... Asking which one is better is a judgement statement.

Of course, those of use that are a part of the D9 will say our respective organizations...

However, the motivations to join one of D9 vs. a MCGLO is a question that you must ask yourself, not us...

Personally, I cannot justify why one should want to join my organization as much as I love my Sorority... I only know why I joined. Because of my heritage--my legacy... That is my reason... And I appreciate that aspect about myself.

If you do not have family member that are a part of the D9's, then you won't ever get an answer suitable enough for yourself until you actually are invited to join one the D9's...

So do continue with your own research and examine what is best for you.

Good Luck...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 09-22-2003, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to prodigal_son
I agree with the fact that it depends on what you're looking for. The many organizations are as different as the colors they wear. To say one group is "multi-cultural" isn't that accurate. I know some supposedly multi-curltural orgs that only allow asians, or hispanics. Then I turn around and met a caucasian Kappa the other day who was twirling his cane at a step show.