GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,152
3 members and 2,149 guests
No Members online

Old 06-02-2013, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, and I went to HS in St Louis where the French pronunciation prevails so have a hard time in NOLA! Which way to say it????????
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Oh - don't get started on all the pronunciations of Lafayette in this country! Let's see, there are:

1) Le-FAY-it in Alabama
2) Laugh-fee-ette in English and La-FI-ette in French in Louisiana
3) The one above in MS
4) LA-fee-ette in Indiana
And there are probably others!
There is Lafayette County in Florida and it is pronounced La-fee-ette.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA SE285 View Post
In New Orleans, the French street names have their own unique "Yat" pronunciation:

Burgundy = Bur-GUN-dee

Carondelet = Ca-ron-da-LETT

Chartres = Charters

Fontainebleau = Fountain Blue

Toulouse = TOO-looz
Calliope = Callie-OH-p

Delachaise = Della-chase

Clouet = Clue-ette

Chartres = Char-terz

Just returned from a Ben Franklin High School Reunion in NOLA.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-11-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: University of Mississippi - Ole Miss,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss greek life,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss sum
Old 06-02-2013, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Or Terp-si-core.....
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

GreekChat supporting member subscriptions are now available!
- $29 for 1 year of premium access to GreekChat as a Supporting Member.
- $99 for 5 years of premium access to GreekChat as a Supporting Member.
Click here to subscribe: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/payments.php

GreekChat Subscribers will receive:
- Access to a private subscribers-only forum
- Virtually unlimited private message storage (from non-paying limit of 70 to premium subscribers 10,000 messages)
- Priority forum tech support
- Priority username change requests (valuable for PNMs and PNM Moms who rethink their usernames.)
- Option to turn off most of the advertising (coming very soon to premium access GreekChat)
- Avatars (coming soon; can be turned off for those who do not want to see them)
- Plus any other bonus account features that are currently in development for premium users

Your financial support of the GreekChat community is greatly appreciated! These funds are used to support the expenses of server rental, software licenses and upgrades, site fees, and the server bandwidth used by all of the GreekChat community. Due to GreekChat current popularity the site has grown so busy that nominal fees are necessary to support these expenses and to help keep the level of advertising on GreekChat limited.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-11-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: University of Mississippi - Ole Miss,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss greek life,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss sum
Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Calliope = Callie-OH-p

Delachaise = Della-chase

Clouet = Clue-ette

Chartres = Char-terz

Just returned from a Ben Franklin High School Reunion in NOLA.
You must have been in my sister, Anna's class!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-06-2013, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
You must have been in my sister, Anna's class!
I was adopted by '83 when I transferred in from Virginia in to the '82 class, so I attend back to back reunions. I couldn't find an Anna on the '83 attendee list, but found one on the '82.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was adopted by '83 when I transferred in from Virginia in to the '82 class, so I attend back to back reunions. I couldn't find an Anna on the '83 attendee list, but found one on the '82.
My Anna was later than that. Her reunion must have been more informal, but she kept mentioning it on FB.

AOII

Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
My Anna was later than that. Her reunion must have been more informal, but she kept mentioning it on FB.
Because Franklin is such an endurance race from application to graduation, there is great bonding among the students. I wasn't the only crasher at the reunion, the class from '83 is super fun, and not as self impressed as my class. By the way, I died laughing when my half brother moved to New Orleans from Alabama, never having lived there before, and then met and married . . .

Wait for it . . .

A Franklin girl! She's like 15 years younger than me (he's 12 years younger) but she is a wonderful SIL and mother to my niece and nephew.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-11-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: University of Mississippi - Ole Miss,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss greek life,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss sum
Old 06-06-2013, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Because Franklin is such an endurance race from application to graduation, there is great bonding among the students. I wasn't the only crasher at the reunion, the class from '83 is super fun, and not as self impressed as my class. By the way, I died laughing when my half brother moved to New Orleans from Alabama, never having lived there before, and then met and married . . .

Wait for it . . .

A Franklin girl! She's like 15 years younger than me (he's 12 years younger) but she is a wonderful SIL and mother to my niece and nephew.
I feel like I know so much about Franklin because of Anna and another AOII sister from there. The only other HS in NO that I know about because of all the sisters from this school is Mt. Carmel.

AOII

Old 06-07-2013, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Linguistic conflicts

I read an article today that reminded me of this thread. It's 22 maps that show the deepest linguistic conflicts in America.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Linguistic conflicts

I read an article today that reminded me of this thread. It's 22 maps that show the deepest linguistic conflicts in America.
Loved that article!

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 07-11-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: University of Mississippi - Ole Miss,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss greek life,University of Mississippi - Ole Miss sum
Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Linguistic conflicts

haha I read that too, and immediately thought of this GC thread!

ΔΔΔ

$15 Million in 5 Years for St. Jude
Old 06-09-2013, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Oxford Area NPC <oxfordareanpc@gmail.com>

Just a reminder that we will be meeting on Sunday, June 9, at 1:30pm at the Newk's on University Avenue, Oxford, Mississippi. The new campus Panhellenic Advisor will be in attendance so we hope you can make it!

Fraternally,
OANPC

Old 06-10-2013, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoolemiss View Post
The requirement is 3.0 or higher...does anyone know what higher is???
Quote:
It's up to the individual Chapter and its Headquarters to determine the GPA requirements for that Chapter. This is part of Membership Selection and is considered to be confidential if not secret ritual by the Chapters.
Under the Greek Affairs web site is a FAQ that has the maximum disclosed information regarding grades: http://dos.orgsync.com/org/umgreeks/npcfaqs