GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 977
2 members and 975 guests
baadamashtolzea, Sarak24034

Old 06-18-2009, 08:40 PM
AEcutiePhi

Small Chapter preparing for Recruitment

Last edited by AEcutiePhi; 04-07-2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-18-2009, 09:21 PM

I find that skits, ice breakers, etc. aren't the things that draw people in.

This is a good thread to check out:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ghlight=chosen

One of the best pieces of advice I have is:

Don't be SO caught up in "selling the sorority" to PNMs on Day 1.

Doing that can actually creep PNMs out if they walk in your doors the first day and you all just start rattling off AEPhi facts, why you love AEPhi, etc.

You have to connect with PNMs and talk about OTHER STUFF FIRST, before you can start selling the sorority experience.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-18-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello AEcutiePhi,

As you've probably seen in several other posts, there is currently a TON of good information that is already posted.

Additionally, you've probably already read that the very best resource is always your inter/national headquarters and your regional advisors and directors. There are women out there specifically to help your chapter! You need to reach out to your headquarters and ask to start working with someone asap. The fact that you are willing to work (and hopefully work hard), is a fantastic starting point!

That being said, the biggest opportunity you have to improve your chapter's recruitment is PREPARATION!!! I assume that you're already into the summer break on your campus. Did you prepare the chapter with recruitment workshops in the spring? Did you go over the clothing, attendance and other requirements expected of them in the fall? Preparation for fall recruitment should ideally begin directly after your election as Recruitment Chair.

If the answer to the above questions is "no", then start getting information out to your members asap - in the form of emails, and/or an informational packet that you mail to their homes (sometimes a physical packet of information has a much greater impact than emails).

Plan out your workshops on conversation, presentation, rotation, songs that you're going to use, etc. RIGHT NOW. If you don't feel comfortable giving these workshops, work with advisors and alumnae to either become familiar with them, or have them volunteer to work with the chapter in the fall.

Make sure that the chapter PRACTICES more than any of them think they need to on: rotation, songs, conversation, common recruitment topics, and cheering during your skit/slideshow, etc.

If the chapter has a problem with attendance, reach out to EVERY SINGLE member right now via phone, email and snail mail to make sure they are aware of the attendance requirements and the consequences if they do not comply (fines, inability to go to social events, etc.)

Please remember that whatever skit theme or icebreaker you use, what makes them successful is almost always the preparation and execution. I've seen very successful skits with seemingly horrible themes, and vice versa: make sure the actors, dancers and singers are GOOD, and well-practiced; make sure that the script makes sense, doesn't contain inside jokes, and, if possible, somewhat funny.

Read through the Recruitment Stories, and you'll see a very similar pattern throughout: with few exceptions, the PNMs pay the most attention to the quality of the conversation. Practice, Practice, Practice conversation! Reach out to other local chapters, or find a chapter on your campus willing to practice with.

Good luck!!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 PM

For the first day, have info on the sorority available (including dues and fees if you're allowed to do so) but as KSUViolet said, don't bombard the rushees with this is our flower, this is our philanthropy etc etc. Honestly, they don't care. They want to meet the members.

For the open house days, try to have just a loose theme (i.e. Paris, 50s, beatnik, etc) throughout the party rather than planning a skit - especially if the rushees can come and go at will. You don't want anyone to feel like they're walking into the middle of something, or forced to stay longer than they want to.

I'm afraid to even ask what you mean by your members were chosen for you. This might be why you have an attendance problem. I think you mean campus total/ceiling is 40 not quota.

In addition to those girls doing formal rush, every girl should have in mind a friend they would like to ask to COB parties afterward - even if they DON'T go through formal rush. Some people are fantastic Greek material, they just don't want to get there by rushing.

Don't be afraid to release people who are very definitely uninterested - I don't mean girls who are on the fence, but those who are outright rude or impolite. You shouldn't have to put up with that and the rushees who are into your sorority shouldn't have to put up with it either. I know this might be contrary to some advice you've been given, but trust me, having negative people around just brings down everyone.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I, too, come from a smaller chapter on my campus. This fall we'll have about 70 members while the other two have 95 or 100. My first suggestion would be to buy "I Heart Recruitment" from the people at phiredup.com. We've passed it around our chapter and it's been really helpful! It has a lot of exercises to get your members excited for recruitment - they might seem kind of hokey, but they really do get people motivated!

One of the BIG points they emphasize is personal connections. PNMs wgo go into recruitment wanting a certain group almost always have a personal connection to that group. Make friends with PNMs before recruitment starts (if that's allowed), or at least try to get some face time by helping with freshman move-in/orientation, or more events if your recruitment is deferred. In the recruitment room, focus on conversation skills, not glitz or refreshments. Those things are nice, but no one joins a sorority for the decorations or the rice krispie treats. They join because they felt a personal connection with the sisters.

I agree with what someone said above - for COB, have every sister bring someone. If every single girl in your sorority could recruit just one PNM, you could double your size - or if that would send you above quota or chapter total, you'll at least have a really big pool to choose from when you decide who to bid. And don't just tell your sisters, "Give me a name and I'll send the girl an invite." Have the sister PERSONALLY deliver the invite, then PERSONALLY meet up with the girl to walk them to the event. Many PNMs are intimidated by the thought of walking into a room of sorority women they don't know, so having someone they know to walk them in and introduce them around can make a big difference. It may also get them motivated to go to the event even if they're on the fence or aren't super-excited about it - and if your sisters are strong recruiters, they'll be able to change that PNM's mind