GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 717
0 members and 717 guests
No Members online

Old 03-01-2020, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

COVID-19

I read that this thing could infect 70% globally.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Banned

What source did you get that number from? One of the most important things right now is to stop the spread of misinformation and stress that people should not panic.

If no one has read it yet, please read the CDC’s website detailing best practices and current information. It is updated frequently.

http://https://www.cdc.gov/coronavir...out/index.html
Old 03-01-2020, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
I read that this thing could infect 70% globally.

Your thoughts?

Yeah.....no....
Old 03-01-2020, 03:36 PM

Don’t worry.

Robert Neville’s got this.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAnchor View Post
What source did you get that number from? One of the most important things right now is to stop the spread of misinformation and stress that people should not panic.

If no one has read it yet, please read the CDC’s website detailing best practices and current information. It is updated frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Yeah.....no....
I've also read worldwide models predicting between 40% to 70%. Of course, it depends on who's running the models and predictions. The CDC is putting out their own information, as are different organizations and government agencies around the globe.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-01-2020, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard 60%, so same ballpark.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

CNN newsfeed from a CDC representative is where I read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Yeah.....no....
Can you back your comment up? How do you know?
Old 03-02-2020, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I read the same figure last week - 40% to 70% infection by the time the virus has run its course and/or a vaccine can be formulated. That figure came from an epidemiologist who has worked with the CDC, and was quoted in The Atlantic magazine.

Given that the Spanish Influenza of 1918-19 eventually infected more than a third of all humans on the planet before it mutated into less deadly strains (that have been with us ever since), a 40% infection rate for Covid-19 isn't so far outside the realm of probability.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:06 PM
Banned

My response was not meant to indicate disagreement, rather to encourage citation of sources in a time where panic and clickbait fear-mongering is incredibly common. It’s incredibly important to stop the spread of false information in the face of a pandemic, my state has had to lock down all surgical masks because people have bought most supplies and are now breaking into hospitals to steal them. All this effort despite the fact surgical masks will do nothing to prevent someone from CATCHING, rather they are meant for the infected individuals to prevent SPREADING.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My response was not meant to indicate disagreement.
No one here is saying your response was meant to indicate disagreement, and no one here is disagreeing with you. My initial post was to get thoughts and opinions, and to my knowledge, that’s what it reads like everyone here is doing.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
No one here is saying your response was meant to indicate disagreement, and no one here is disagreeing with you. My initial post was to get thoughts and opinions, and to my knowledge, that’s what it reads like everyone here is doing.
I was just clarifying the purpose of my original comment, and multiple people have quoted it and mentioned a similar percentage. I’m not trying to argue with anyone here, just trying to make sure the intent of my original comment was clear.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I’m not trying to argue with anyone here, just trying to make sure the intent of my original comment was clear.
No one here is accusing you of trying to argue. I think everyone’s comments here are clear.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
No one here is accusing you of trying to argue. I think everyone’s comments here are clear.
I didn’t think anyone was “accusing me of arguing” but you keep replying to my clarification post... arguing? I don’t know how to say this without getting a retort, but I was just trying to stress the importance of citations during a potential pandemic.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I didn’t think anyone was “accusing me of arguing” but you keep replying to my clarification post... arguing?
But you’re the only username whose original posts contain the word “argue”. No one else’s does.

You posted your thoughts and opinions on COVID-19 like everyone else. That’s all my OP was asking.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
So what was the purpose of this reply and every reply following that? I was just trying to stress that I was clarifying my thoughts when I realized later that they may have been unclear in my original post. I never stated that I thought people were disagreeing, which is why I didn’t quote anyone specifically, I was just clarifying in case that was how it was interpreted. My reference to arguing in the first post was to clarify that wasn’t my intent, I wasn’t accusing anyone of arguing with me at that point. I don’t understand why you feel my clarification needs continued discussion, to me that comes off as you disagreeing with what I’m saying in some way. I have only been trying to clarify my intent the entire time but you keep quoting me rather than just letting it be. If you weren’t disagreeing why reply? If you aren’t arguing why reply? It was a clarification, and now it’s turned into a silly disagreement about how I was interpreting the thread. I am allowed to clarify my own post.