GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,643
2 members and 2,641 guests
oncegreek, PGD-GRAD

Old 03-21-2006, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PiKA2001
Over here wearing your pledge pin while wearing a canadian tuxedo was strictly forbidden.
What is a canadian tuxedo?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-21-2006, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
we only got to wear our pledge buttons once the whole time b/c they said making us dress up to wear them was hazing. That's BS we should have got to wear it more.
Asking people to participate in a dress up day and wear their pin is not necessarily hazing...and someone may be taking the rules too far. The question is this-if someone chose not to participate in the dress up (normal clothing etc.), what would happen to them? If there is no punishment or retribution of any kind, then it is not hazing to ask for their participation. If there is, then you could make an argument that it is.

Scavenger Hunts--this is an FIPG thing. FIPG, which most national groups are a part of, specifically fordbid them and I was told it was because there were too many instances of people travelling long distance, stealing things, make buffoons of themselves etc. I know that's not always the case, but that is where the objections are stemming from.

I do think some of the rules we have are because people cannot always be trusted to not go too far, unfortunately (the whole given an inch, take a mile kind of thing....)
Old 03-21-2006, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Heather17

I do think some of the rules we have are because people cannot always be trusted to not go too far, unfortunately (the whole given an inch, take a mile kind of thing....) [/B]

This is so true.......
Old 03-21-2006, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW! They do exist! And they hang out on Greek Chat!

Quote:
The Cavepeople of Today...
Have you seen the television commercial for car insurance where the salesman makes a reference to cavemen......then the cavemen are having dinner at a white-tablecloth-restaurant with him and they seem to be very enlightened and intelligent......then the salesman says he didn't know that cavemen were still around? (Whew!)

That's kind of like hazing. It should be an ancient thing of the past for today's Greeks. However, too many men and women think that it holds a place in their chapter and in their membership process.

In many areas of their lives, these college men and women seem to be enlightened and intelligent, yet they resort to "procedures" and "worth-proving" tactics that don't belong in our society and in our Greek associations any longer.
NEW MEMBER/PARENT/PROFESSOR/TYPICAL OFF-TO-COLLEGE KID: "And, since we saw it on TV, I KNOW it has to be true! And, since I read it in a magazine/heard it/saw it on TV that Greeks haze, OF COURSE it has to be true!"

Can't we just be finished with this crap?

Iris
Old 03-21-2006, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally posted by ecupidelta
I bonded with the girls in my group b/c we got to share that fun together while we ran all over town looking for clues and trying to put it all together and see if we were actually right It's unfortunate that such fun and harmless activities have to be done away with b/c of a minority of people.
That's exactly it - you ran all over town...
If you had stepped off campus and one person got hit by a car or broke their leg, the lawsuit would cripple the organization. We live in a litigious society and everything we do is to prevent a major lawsuit.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iris
Can't we just be finished with this crap?

Iris
This is why I love you---you never say anything half way.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:24 PM

I really don't get the analogy between a car insurance commercial and wanting to eradicate hazing, but ummm whatever.

And many people have been told that it's not only hazing to require someone to participate, it's hazing to even ask, because if an active asks, the pledges will feel pressured.

The "rules" nowadays go insanely too far, and if they keep going down this path we will kill ourselves off in 50 years - not from scavenger hunts or drinking or paddling, but because Greek life will be so lacking in fun that no one will want to join. We'll be groups that do nothing but community service and expect members to pay $500/semester for the privelege.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Do you think that hazing is becoming frowned upon more because it's culturally obsolute or because it's too expensive in terms of insurance, lawsuits, etc. for our respective organizations to allow it to continue?

It doesn't seem like many organizations placed a very high priority on hazing when it was at its zenith 20+ years ago. I don't mean to be cynical, but could it be that the only reason we're even talking about this has nothing to do with the human tragedy, the danger, etc. and everything to do with the financial survival of our respective institutions?
It's purely about money. Considering every time I go to a convention or panhellenic luncheon everyone is laughing uproariously about the "terrible" things they had to do when they pledged, I think a lot of this is lip service. I don't mean things like beating the crap out of someone - I am hoping most groups have wised up where that's concerned, although I'm sure there's some national officers out there who still believe "wood is good" - I mean silly things like getting your pledge book stolen and such.

Someone wah wahed because they had to ask the big bad fraternity man for a signature, so we can't do that anymore. Someone in one chapter was bitchy about giving out interviews, so we can't do that anymore. It all has to do with the complete abdication of personal responsibility that's overtaken this country. On my campus, there were groups that everyone knew hazed, and hazed hard. The general consensus was that the pledges were stupid to stick around and put up with it.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33Girl...
I really don't get the analogy between a car insurance commercial and wanting to eradicate hazing, but ummm whatever.
...in the commercial, there's a guy talking on the phone about how easy the Geico website is to navigate....so easy that "even a caveman could do it."

Then, flash-ahead, he's sittiing at lunch in a fancy restaurant with two cavemen who have called him out on his statement. One, with an attitude and in very plain English, orders a fancy meal; the other has lost his appetite. Both cavemen LOOK like what comes to mind when thinking of a caveman, yet both are obviously intellingent and articulate.

Analogy to Greek Life and hazing.......young men and women in our Greek orgs are intelligent and articulate, yet in the clouded secrecy behind their new member "rituals", they aren't what they appear to be far too often. They haze.

They need to stop.

Iris
Old 03-21-2006, 05:59 PM

I've seen the commercial. I still don't think there is a connection.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

.....Hmmmm....takes too many Greeks too long to get the "don't haze" thing, also.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iris
.....Hmmmm....takes too many Greeks too long to get the "don't haze" thing, also.
If "hazing" is getting sorority signatures, having to interview at least 25 actives, and participating in team building exercises with my pledge class, I'm glad I was "hazed". These simple, non-damaging tasks brought me a lot closer to the actives/pledge brothers and was a very easy why to introduce myself to the sorority girls on campus. I'll say it again that I believe some people are taking this no hazing policy way too far.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I don't get the connection between the commercial and hazing. It's not the best analogy. I do get the don't haze thing.

As I see it, hazing really doesn't create a sense of unity within a fraternity or sorority. It might create unity within a new member class, but it creates resentment between the new members and the brothers or sisters. It becomes an us against them dynamic which is ultimately unhealthy in any org.

And I knew pledges (yes, they were called pledges) who were hazed in the way that KillarneyRose described including the chocolate syrup. This was in the late 80s and early 90s when GLOs were beginning to focus their efforts on eliminating hazing. That type of behavior didn't build brotherhood or sisterhood and only hurt and humiliated people.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
And I knew pledges (yes, they were called pledges) who were hazed in the way that KillarneyRose described including the chocolate syrup. This was in the late 80s and early 90s when GLOs were beginning to focus their efforts on eliminating hazing. That type of behavior didn't build brotherhood or sisterhood and only hurt and humiliated people.
We didn't have the chocolate syrup thing, but we did have the 'match test'. Basically we had to learn to say the greek alphabet before a match burnt out - and we are talking the paper matches found in match books not wooden matches.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by Beryana
We didn't have the chocolate syrup thing, but we did have the 'match test'. Basically we had to learn to say the greek alphabet before a match burnt out - and we are talking the paper matches found in match books not wooden matches.
Ahh the match test. I could do that.

I just want to add that it was a fraternity that turned the pledges into human ice cream sundaes. One of my freshman dorm neighbors walked in covered in chocolate and whipped cream. It was pretty gross.