GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,406
3 members and 2,403 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek

Old 05-07-2003, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VirtuousErudite
I think that these girls probably didn't expect it to go this far. No one in their right mind would go to have feces smeared in their faces knowing that would happen. Just my take on it.
I totally agree.. I'm sure they expected something to happen to them, but nothing to the extent of what actually did happen to them.

I guess I just don't understand why someone would go knowing that just something would happen to them.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2003, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I caught a glimpse of the report and was horrified! What was even more unbelievable was an interview by a girl who was there. She said that she didn't understand what the big deal was. So what that someone had stitches in her head--she's not permanently injured. (Now, I am REALLY, REALLY paraphrasing because I can't remember exactly what she said, but that was the gist of it.)

What is even more shocking is all the bystanders doing nothing to help. I guess video taping it will help the juniors' case!
Old 05-07-2003, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
After watching alot of the tape, I think some of the more violent girls should go to jail. At least the police are reviewing it and picking people out.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAMiami
Absolutely horrendous! The Today show showed a girl with 15 stitches in her head, a cracked tailbone, partial hearing loss and bruises on her face. They showed a good chunk of the video and one of the senior girls had a bat. They showed girls being punched repeatedly in the face while being held down. One of the girls has a bacterial infection form the HUMAN feces that was poured on them!

You can see a clip here:
http://www.nbc6.net/news/2186530/detail.html

i heard on the news that they actually had to eat the human feces
Old 05-08-2003, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I actually go to school in Chicago, and this is all that has been on the news. I keep hearing school officials say that they can't do anything, but there has been something called the Illinois Hazing Act for the past century or so, and these girls are able to be punished through that (with jail time too!). It can be a felony if there is bodily harm. I'm really not sure on the exact details, but I hope none of these girls expect to get away with this!
Old 05-08-2003, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedRoseSAI
It happened at Glenbrook North HS in Northbrook, IL, not too far from where I live. To be honest, I'm not terribly surprised to hear this is going on at GBN.
OK EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWw. What is that supposed to mean??????
I graduated from GBN and those 10 ANIMALS in no way refect what ANY of our kids are like.

Seriously, you need to explain yourself.

I'm definitely posting more on this but I've only gotten to the first page.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BSUPhiSig'92
There is video from the event on msnbc.com under the Today Show. They even forced a girl to swallow fecal matter! This supposedly happened after their Powder Puff football game.

For all Illinois Greeks (and potentially others) at Recruitment next year, if you have a PNM from Glenbrook North High School, DON'T GIVE THEM A BID!!!
JESUS CHRIST!!! ARe you even reading what you're saying??????
I'm sorry but where the hell do you get off with this holier than thou attitude???? Oh yeah b/c every single senior girl participated in this, right????? GOD if greek life has taught you anything it should be that 10 people do NOT represent an entire group.

Glenbrook North has been one of the top 5 highschools in the nation for 3 decades STRAIGHT. You would only be so lucky to get a girl from Northbrook, IL.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LXAAlum
That's what shocked me. They're JUNIORS. They desperately want to "fit in" with the seniors? They'll be gone soon - this occurred at homecoming which is what - October? These girls allowed this abuse to happen so that they could feel accepted for a whole five or six MONTHS? Wow.

The hardest part is trying to have them realize how much "fitting in" will really matter in one year - when those that ABUSED these girls are gone... Of course, in a year, these girls will have some sense of "entitlement" that it is now their turn to turn their wrath on the new crop of juniors. Tradition. Crap.
This did not occur at Homecoming. It began as a homecoming tradition in 1977 but was banned in 1980. It went underground and its been done ever since the weekend before the seniors graduate. It happened this past Sunday. And you can't participate as a senior unless you do it as a junior. If you do not show up, worse things are threatened to happen to you.

Last edited by AXJules; 11-06-2004 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LXAAlum
The hardest part is trying to have them realize how much "fitting in" will really matter in one year - when those that ABUSED these girls are gone... Of course, in a year, these girls will have some sense of "entitlement" that it is now their turn to turn their wrath on the new crop of juniors. Tradition. Crap.
Absolutely.

The thing that worried me about the "entitlement" to haze is that no matter how trivial the hazing may be at the beginning, it can get totally out of control -- as evidenced here.

I suspect that's why hazing laws and GLO rules are so all encompasing.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

OK now that I've read the whole thing....

Let me first say that this incident completely horrified me. Powderpuff has NEVER been like this in the past. There are unwritten rules and things and this is in no way representative of the event. Its not a good event, but nothing like this.

I will explain and write everything I know about its history and what I've experienced when I've calmed down.

What I find most offensive is the attitudes of some of you. You constantly post about how houses have bad reps b/c of someone who is NOT REPRESENTATIVE of them, and how unfair it is. You constantly post about being respectful of people, yet you turn around and say to blackball/block GBN graduates from your houses. How elitest/snobby is that when you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the situation???? If a XYZ hazed at University of Illiinois, would you come running to this thread and post "HEY, BLACKBALL ALL U. OF I TRANSFER STUDENTS NEXT YEAR!!!" No you wouldn't, and the fact that you would do it to 400+ students from one of the nations best highschools is absolutely ignorant.

I completely understand that this was sick, sadistic, and I am just as horrified and upset as you b/c I KNEW some of the girls. But how dare you sit here and post incorrect information just b/c you heard it and its something scandalous you can post on GC. Maybe you thought that you could just make generalizations and post whatever gossip your ears have gotten ahold of, but SURPRISE...someone was hear to call you on your bullshit. LET ME SAY, AND THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT....SERIOUSLY THIS ONLY APPLIES TO LIKE 3 PEOPLE IN THIS POST BUT IT HAS TO BE SAID IN THE OPEN AND NOT IN PMS. MAYBE WE CAN STOP A LITTLE OF THIS BEHAVIOR.

I will be more than happy to answer any of your questions openly and honestly. IN NO WAY will I defend GBN or the people involved. But do me a favor and refrain from letting your mouth fly simply b/c it wasn't a GLO, but a highschool.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by AXJules
This did not occur at Homecoming. It began as a homecoming tradition in 1977 but was banned in 1980. It went underground and we've done it ever since the weekend before the seniors graduate. It happened this past Sunday. And you can't participate as a senior unless you do it as a junior. Also, you are not invited as a junior unless you are cool or there is someone who wants to beat your ass. If you do not show up, worse things will definitely happen to you.
Do you mean worse things than what the videotape showed? I can't imagine that that is even possible.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXJules
If you do not show up, worse things will definitely happen to you.
AXJules, thanks for clearing that up.. as you probably have read in my posts, I was so confused as to why these girls would actually *show up* knowing something would happen to them.. much less pay for getting the crap beaten out of them

It really is sad, but I guess I can sort of understand why the girls would actually go to something like this now...
Old 05-08-2003, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

No. As I said, this year was not representative at all. I'll explain more when I explain the whole thing, but basically its just getting food and stuff rubbed in your hair. Worse than that would be having someone come to your house and beat you up.

There is nothing i can think of thats worse than this.

P.S. thank you so much for asking a question. I appreciate it.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Here's another article

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyj39
... an annual hazing ritual in which seniors would square off with juniors -- all of them female students -- for a touch football game.

The younger girls, who were charged $35 to $40 apiece and provided with jerseys, said they were expecting some form of mild hazing during the contest...

"It was supposed to be a friendly initiation into our senior year," one 17-year-old told the newspaper, saying she required stitches after being "hit over the head with a bat or a bucket."
Isn't it sad that our children these days have no more self esteem than this.

Quote:
For all Illinois Greeks (and potentially others) at Recruitment next year, if you have a PNM from Glenbrook North High School, DON'T GIVE THEM A BID!!!
I don't know that I could say that about EVERY freshman female from that school, but I would definately find out the names of these ladies (they should be charged as adults, which means their names will be released) and SERIOUSLY, SERIOUSLY consider whether they should be on your bid list. And I would send the above warning out to every chapter I have. Nationwide.

And I don't think they should be allowed to walk at graduation. I wouldn't want to associate them with my graduating class. But they'll walk (if they haven't already) because the school will have to figure out what consequence to give, and then someone will appeal, and while it's being appealed they can still do whatever. I love red tape.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:

Wow, I'm sorry, but that is quite an ignorant statement. How would that be appropriate to not extend a bid to someone from Glenbrook simply because this took place there? It doesnt mean every girl in the school was involved. What extreme stereotypes are you already forming?!?! Don't extend a bid to any girl from GLenbrook, because after all about 10 girls were involved out of a graduating class of about 570. THat is not a representative total of the school. I am saddened that people, greeks like ourselves, college educated people would be so quick to form such generalizations, such stereotypes, to make a statement as harsh as "if you have a PNM from Glenbrook DON'T GIVE THEM A BID!!"

It would have been a shame if you didn't receive a bid because of somethign a girl happened to do at your highschool.....