GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,429
0 members and 2,429 guests
No Members online

Old 06-13-2004, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to deadbear80
Then what happened???? G-d...reading this thread is like watching reality TV--you really want to know what happens next and you don't want to wait until next week...but you're unbearably hooked! Don't leave us hanging!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-13-2004, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

This is better than a soap opera!

I'm still hoping for a happy ending.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
Originally posted by tinydancer
This is better than a soap opera!

I'm still hoping for a happy ending.
I agree!!!

I really hope you find your happy ending, Kelly! You are such a great person that I've enjoyed seeing at various San Diego GC get-togethers, and I know how much you want this!

Love,
Jennie
Old 06-14-2004, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
I can't wait to read the next chapter!

My fingers are crossed for you, Kelly!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Right, you ask....and I deliver!

For quite a long time, a woman I know (let's call her "Ally" for "Ally Alumnae") had been suggesting I give Varekai a try. I knew all about Varekai already as there had been a chapter at my university. That was one of the few sororities I didn't rush as it seemed to me to be one of the chapters that only über popular and pretty girls joined. Ok, so I wasn't a dork or anything at college; I was actually sort of "popular" in my own right. I just wasn't an especially stylish "girly-girl". Again, it seemed like one of those "not in a million years would they consider me" situations.

Yet, Ally really seemed to think that I would make a great member of Varekai. However, every time she mentioned it, I was already involved in pursuing AI with one of the other organizations.

Now, just days after Alegria fell through, Ally e-mailed me saying that if I wanted to consider Varekai, she would be first in line to help me out. Odd timing considering she had no idea about Alegria (as far as I know!).

I gave Varekai's website and ideals a thorough read. I thought through it quite a bit and started to see great things. I always liked this org, I just never thought I would have a chance. One thing that excited me was that there appeared to be a LOT of opportunity to get involved. That was very important to me! I got over my feelings of "Why would you want me? I'm not a cheerleader!" ('cause I know my university's chapter is just *one* in the grand scheme of things) and told Ally that I would be interested in giving Varekai a chance.

That was all she needed to hear.

It was as if she was like lightning on the telephone and keyboard, contacting all of the relevant people in an instant (I'm talking, like, less than one hour later).

One afternoon, I went looking around the website for one of the chapters at a local university. In their alumnae section, I saw a name listed as the Alumnae Chapter President. It turns out that this lady and I both had been members of a local figure skating club!!! This alumnae member, let's call her "Jewel", had been friends with my ice skating coach! What a small world! I shared this with Ally who promptly got in touch with her. Just a couple of weeks after I first gave the green light to Varekai (no pun intended), I received an e-mail from Jewel telling me how excited she was that I was considering AI. We reminisced a bit about the good ol' days when we skated at the same rink and chatted about Varekai. She said that she was no longer the Alumnae Chapter President, but that she'd look into the calendar of events to see what was coming up.

Before she accomplished that, Ally managed to arrange for us all to have lunch together at a local restaurant. Also in attendance were Ally's mom and a sister from Ally's chapter who was in town visiting. We had a great time chatting, getting to know each other, hearing funny stories about being a sister of Varekai and enjoying the amazing ocean view from the restaurant.

I'm not sure what all was going on behind the scenes, but, the next thing I know, Varekai HQ had given the go-ahead for me to complete the AI process with Ally being my sponsor and Jewel working on getting the collegiate chapter approval.

In the meantime, Ally requested my presence at her house so that we could complete my new member training! It was just way too exciting! One of the things I remember was Ally sitting there patiently as I agonized over which badge to choose.

While the paperwork was being sorted out, the current Alumnae Chapter President contacted me to introduce herself. She was very gracious in praising Jewel for filling in for her while she was away (with regards to working on my AI paperwork). She asked me to get in touch with her so that we could meet up for coffee or something. How nice of her to have such faith in her sisters! Also, I had to go around to Jewel's house to pick up my new member manual. While there, I met her precious family and we had a great time chatting and visiting. Jewel even recently phoned me "just because" and invited me around to her house for a get-together that had nothing to do with Varekai.

Everyone embraced me immediately as if I was already a member of Varekai. It felt like there was no question about whether or not I was a sister.

I was....we just simply hadn't met yet.

Who would have thought it? The one chapter at my undergrad university that I felt I had the least chance of getting a bid from, turned out to be the place I run home to.

What a wild, excruciatingly long, and better-than-a-bad-soap-opera seven years it has been.

I am on the home stretch. I managed to get a place as one of only four women to be presented for alumnae initiation at Varekai's International Convention.

In less than two weeks, on Saturday, June 26 at 3pm, I will be be initiated as a member of the Epsilon Gamma chapter of.....

Gamma Phi Beta
Old 06-14-2004, 01:58 AM
GreekChat Member

AND, because *I know* you all are going to ask, I took the initiative to locate a picture of the badge I selected.

I'm not a BLING BLING person...it's just not me. I tend to have more "classic" leanings. Though, sometimes I choose to be just a little different. This is one such occassion.

After staring at the brochure for what seemed to be forever, I finally selected the badge with the crown pearl phi and garnet points.

I guess it's sort of "mini bling".

.....Kelly
Old 06-14-2004, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Let me be the "first" on GC to give you a heartful

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND

GFB

Old 06-14-2004, 02:09 AM
Unregistered-

What an HONOR!

I don't know how long I've been reading up on your AI experience (with all those ups and downs and twists in between) and now you'll be initiated at Convention in front of all your soon to be new sisters. WOW.

Congratulations to you, my soon to be new Triad sister, and congratulations to Gamma Phi Beta.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Holy isht! I doggone near spit out my water reading this! You are going to be my Triad sister! Congrats to you and
Gamma Phi Beta!

They are some great women...I hung out with one this weekend (SmartBlonde)
Check out my location!

Last edited by Jill1228; 06-14-2004 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats Kelly!!

You deserve this!!! We are all so excited for you! You're story is an inspiration for others who might have or want to give up on the AI process. It just goes to show that you can't give up on something that you want!

Congrats again to you and Gamma Phi Beta!
Old 06-14-2004, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

CONGATS KELLY!!!

I'm one of those people who believe that things happen a certain way for a certain reason. It may suck while you're going thru it but its worth it in the end.

We gotta hear some more as Convention gets closer!!

{{{HUGZ}}}

Adrienne
Old 06-14-2004, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Congratulations! I am so happy for you! I know it has been a long rollercoaster ride for you, but I am so thrilled that you have made it home.

Now, I am even more bummed that I cannot attend convention, but that's another topic of conversation all together...

Congratulations again!
Old 06-14-2004, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

and I get to be there!!!!!!

Oh my god is about all I could say to this story.........

Congratulations!!!!!!!

"As convention gets closer"???? Oh my, I wish I had more time to get ready....lol
Old 06-14-2004, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats, Kelly, my triad-sister-to-be!!
Old 06-14-2004, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
CONGRATS KELLY!

What a story!