GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,081
1 members and 1,080 guests
Sarak24034

Old 08-12-2000, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

RUGreek--I'm feeling you, esp on that last part. Making someone partake in hazing "just becuz" is stupid! I was taught that everything that goes along w/ educating new members should have a point--a good one at that! Hazing for the hell of it is for those who have nothing else better to do w/ their time and to me, they don't respect themselves, the people they are bringing or their orgs. But that's just my opinion. But I do think that something is needed when bringing in new members. I mean, how boring would it be to just sit and simply learn about the sister/brotherhood however often. Wouldn't a fun activity make things so much better and enjoyable? I think learning by doing is an excellent way to instill things like sister/brotherhood, teamwork, discipline and other things when joining any type of group
Old 08-13-2000, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Quote:
Originally posted by satin:
If people KNOW that hazing is wrong, why is it still being done? ...Give some insight!!!
Does S&M mean anything to you? Just kidding, why do people haze..hmm a very difficult sociological question. I think there are many reasons from "it's fun" to "we had it done to us, so you're gonna get it too" arguments. Hazing is supposed to show discipline and devotion to the higher authorities, in my opinion. I don't think it's right, and I certainly do not condone it, but this is the impression I get whenever people discuss the subject. Hazing has been around a long time now, maybe not as abusive and ridiculous, but it has a long history. When a person gets hazed and accepts the consequences or whatever that goes along with it, the Hazors (if I can make up such a term) believe that this person will honor and sacrifice for them. I believe it could be a positive tool, if not abused and turned into a meaningless torture device. To test a person's loyalty to an organization is a common trait everyone looks for in a member. Hazing is being done for the wrong reasons, but I think that it could be a respectable learning instrument.

Now, Why do people do the wrong hazing? Because they are pathetic assholes who can't seem to figure out that inflicting pain and harm on another is the most dangerous and stupid thing you could possibly do to someone. If hazing has no alternative purpose except to create unhappiness, it has no merits and is completely usless. I hope some of this makes sense, if not, please comment.

RUgreek
Old 10-07-2000, 04:26 AM
GreekChat Member

ZChi4Life:

I am apart of the father of fraternities and as you this is called MASONRY. I am going to tell it to like this, hazing is not what make your fraternity stronger of any kind. Us as a race of people think that this is right but it is totally wrong. Now I didn't say that I was against having some fun with folks, but you can have good CLEAN fun! You don't have to place your hands on anyone in a improper way at all. I think that alot of men of this page might want to read Psalms 133! And your founders wasn't hazed so why should you?

P.S. Keep the Lord first in all that you do!

Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petit_jolie View Post
isnt masonry a part of the devils work? I have also been hearing that many GLO's and BGLO'S are part of Freemasonry or order of the eastern stars? Is this true? Are their certian symbols to watch out for?? I am not a member of GLO but I am just curious because many people told me I would go to hell if I was to partake in one. I hope I dont offend anyone I just want some specific answers. Thanks
No.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petit_jolie View Post
isnt masonry a part of the devils work?
No. Some religious sects have issues with masonry, but they aren't doing "the devil's work"

Quote:
I have also been hearing that many GLO's and BGLO'S are part of Freemasonry or order of the eastern stars?
Some GLOs have ties to masonry, as in their founders were Masons. Some members of different GLOs are Masons or OES. It's probably about the same as the general population percentage wise. No GLO is a part Freemasonry or OES, at least not as far as I've ever seen.

Quote:
Are their certian symbols to watch out for??
Probably when people use the wrong version of "there/their/they're." Oh you meant to tell if they're masons? The organizations aren't. If you want to avoid actual people, you're on your own.

Quote:
I am not a member of GLO but I am just curious because many people told me I would go to hell if I was to partake in one. I hope I dont offend anyone I just want some specific answers. Thanks
Some people are anti-GLO for religious reasons such as taking an oath, or claiming we worship pagan gods, or the devil or whatever. Only you can decide what's right for you, but I know many religious GLO members who have no problem with the values, ideals, exemplars, etc. of their GLO.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

In the days of Yore (Long Time ago) many more people were members of Free Masonary as there were not GLOs.

Many times the people who started these male GLOs were Masons.

I am sure that parts of those rituals were used in writing their rituals.

As a member of a GLO and a non praticing 32 Degree Mason, I can easily state there is no devil worship as Masonary has many things in their ritual beleiveing in God as we know him as do many GLOs.

Symbols are just that and have to do with their rituals.

I just wish you could see the LXA Ritual and see the meanings and how profound it is and the teachings that go along with them.

Masonary was a Brotherhood much the same way as GLOs are today.

They had like beleifes and worked with each other much the same way GLOs today do. Was it secret, of course it was as you had to be asked to join.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-28-2007, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satin View Post
If people KNOW that hazing is wrong, why is it still being done. I think that the simple fact of being hazed oneself causes them to take that out on the next. Future frats and sorors start to expect the things that are done during hazing. I've heard a girl actually say,"Yeah girl, they are going to beat my ass." (Name of the organization will stay unmentioned). When I heard this, it pissed me off that that was what she was looking forward to. Give some insight!!!
How many hazing threads are there going to be?! Post under an existing hazing thread! There's your "insight".
Old 11-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Cheer -- the OP was over 7 years ago.

(just FYI)
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-28-2007, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I keep seeing "Why Hazel" when I sign on . . . .
Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I keep seeing "Why Hazel" when I sign on . . . .
Why not. They do have good antiques.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL - but that would be about all they have!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
LOL - but that would be about all they have!
Fireworks? Well, maybe "South of the Border".
Old 11-28-2007, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

OH - and Stateline Tack, which also has lots of concrete statues. (??!!)
Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

This is kind of like going down (641) memory lane. Just need a *cold one* and it would be complete.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Remember - SOUTH OF THE BORDER is your "last chance"!!!