GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,263
2 members and 1,261 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM

Which is the lesser of 2 evils?

This question is for alums, actives, rushees, everyone!!

Reading thru the rush stories, I see phrases like -

"There were women here from another chapter talking to us, it was very uncomfortable."

and

"My daughter didn't like that the conversations were 2 & 3 rushees to one sister."

So - which do you think is preferable for a smaller chapter to do - bring in sisters from another chapter (not necessarily a chapter you are close to or with) so every rushee has someone individual to talk to, or just deal w/ the double/triple rushing problem?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

From my own experience, I was more uncomfortable with the 2 - 1 ratio than I was speaking with a girl from another campus. At least you can have a normal conversation without being ping-ponged around.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

The best solution I saw during rush was when it was 2 rushees to 2 rushers. One of the rushers was from that chapter and the other was from a different chapter. It was more of a group conversation but at least you were able to speak with someone from your school (most of the chapters had group conversations for the first round).

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 01-24-2008, 04:25 PM

I'd prefer double rushing to having sisters from other chapters rushing PNMs. Our Panhellenic didn't allow alumnae to "rush" PNMs anyway, so we had to work with the # of actives we had. When we had to double rush when we were smaller, we did it 2:2 as opposed to 2:1. Oddly enough, the year we had to do the most double rushing was the year we made quota and went on to double our chapter size.

M reasoning is, yes the chapter is small, but at least those woman can actually speak to the experience of being a member of that chapter.

I've always thought it would be really awkward if a PNM was being rushed by a sister from another chapter and the PNM asked something like "What makes your chapter unique?" As much as the sister from another chapter wants to help, she can't really answer that question the way a sister from that particular chapter really can.

I also think that having women from another chapter rushing PNMs actually does the chapter a disservice because those women aren't going to be around anyway. A PNM might really connect with some sisters, but they're from another chapter and won't be there once they get bids. It creates a "bait and switch" situation.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-26-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

I also think that having women from another chapter rushing PNMs actually does the chapter a disservice because those women aren't going to be around anyway. A PNM might really connect with some sisters, but they're from another chapter and won't be there once they get bids. It creates a "bait and switch" situation.

This happened to a friend of mine that rushed at another school. She got a bid from a chapter who had one of their chapters from not far away come to help them with recruitment.When the girls from the other chapter left and my friend found out several of the girls she liked during recruitment were not in this chapter she depledged and went through recruitment again the following year.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

There just isn't an easy answer. Once a chapter gets noticeably smaller than the other chapters, they immediately have an obstacle to overcome. PNMs think something must be "wrong" with the chapter, even if it is filled with wonderful women. It's hard to avoid the death spiral - the chapter is small, takes in fewer members through formal recruitment, is unable to cob to get the numbers up . . . I've lived through it, and it's the pits. I was able to help another chapter as an alumna adviser avoid it - but it took a lot of work on the part of the actives, and massive cobbing.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

At my alma mater, we came up with a way to avoid this problem in the first round. They do round 1 in suites in the student union, even though we have chapter houses. For every chapter to meet every PNM, it takes literally 24 hours, split into 2 days, 8am-8pm, but no one was there the entire time (except for PHA recruitment team).

They had 7 chapters in the Union on Saturday and 7 on Sunday. Although we had 35 groups of about 10-15 PNMs, there were 3 "super groups" for round 1, split into 3 shifts. Shift A PNM groups would come both days from 8am-12pm, shift B PNM groups would come both days from 12pm-4pm, and shift C groups would come both days from 4pm-8pm. All PNMs see the same 7 chapters on Saturday and the rest on Sunday. A chapter is only allowed to have a fixed number of women in the room (like 25 maybe?), but they can rotate their members throughout the day, lessening the burden on individual members. The president, recruitment chair, and recruitment advisor are there all day though.

This way, a PNM won't see if a chapter is smaller, and if any chapter has to double rush for the first round, they all have to double rush that group for the first round because each chapter has a fixed number of members in the room. Plus, PNMs won't have the chapter house clouding their judgement. Also, logistically, things go smoother and faster because there is not much walking between chapters.

There's not a HUGE discrepancy between the largest (95 before FMR) and smallest chapters (80ish before FMR), though there used to be a much bigger gap, 95 being the largest and the smallest being 40-50. If a chapter is way smaller than the largest, the dilemna between double/triple rushing and having sisters from other chapters help will still be present in subsequent rounds, and the members may have to stay more than one shift in the first round. But it is a way to level the playing field a bit more in the first round.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
At my alma mater, we came up with a way to avoid this problem in the first round. They do round 1 in suites in the student union, even though we have chapter houses. For every chapter to meet every PNM, it takes literally 24 hours, split into 2 days, 8am-8pm, but no one was there the entire time (except for PHA recruitment team).

They had 7 chapters in the Union on Saturday and 7 on Sunday. Although we had 35 groups of about 10-15 PNMs, there were 3 "super groups" for round 1, split into 3 shifts. Shift A PNM groups would come both days from 8am-12pm, shift B PNM groups would come both days from 12pm-4pm, and shift C groups would come both days from 4pm-8pm. All PNMs see the same 7 chapters on Saturday and the rest on Sunday. A chapter is only allowed to have a fixed number of women in the room (like 25 maybe?), but they can rotate their members throughout the day, lessening the burden on individual members. The president, recruitment chair, and recruitment advisor are there all day though.

This way, a PNM won't see if a chapter is smaller, and if any chapter has to double rush for the first round, they all have to double rush that group for the first round because each chapter has a fixed number of members in the room. Plus, PNMs won't have the chapter house clouding their judgement. Also, logistically, things go smoother and faster because there is not much walking between chapters.

There's not a HUGE discrepancy between the largest (95 before FMR) and smallest chapters (80ish before FMR), though there used to be a much bigger gap, 95 being the largest and the smallest being 40-50. If a chapter is way smaller than the largest, the dilemna between double/triple rushing and having sisters from other chapters help will still be present in subsequent rounds, and the members may have to stay more than one shift in the first round. But it is a way to level the playing field a bit more in the first round.
I REALLY like this solution, it's very Panhel and would have been nice to see at my school. It always seems unfair to me that the big groups get bigger (taking over quota) and the small groups stay small. This would definitely make things a little more fair.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

When I went through rush there was a chapter on my campus that was considerably smaller than the others (80-100 pre-Rush for most chapters, compared to about 25 for this one). They brought in actives from a nearby campus, but we as Rushees felt very weird about that. It was almost a "bait and switch" type thing... you got to know some women through Rush, and then "poof" they were gone back to their own school and you were left with women that you did not talk to during Rush. The PNMs were not impressed at all... in fact I don't know of a single PNM who chose to go back to that house for any round... all return visits were because they had to go. They did not have a good rush that year and sadly closed down later in the semester.

You could tell they were *really* trying, but none of the PNMs were impressed with being rushed by people who would not be around 5 days later.

Violetpretty's idea, while giving me extreme tired-head over the logistics, does seem like a nice way to level the playing field. KSUViolet's idea of 2:2 is also a good one.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder, based on especially KSUViolet's comment, does the situation become better if the PNMs are being rushed by recent alums (graduated within 10 years) of that chapter (instead of actives of another chapter)? Or is it still awkward, but for other reasons?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylark View Post
I wonder, based on especially KSUViolet's comment, does the situation become better if the PNMs are being rushed by recent alums (graduated within 10 years) of that chapter (instead of actives of another chapter)? Or is it still awkward, but for other reasons?
I think this may depend if Campus Panhellenic rules allow alumnae to recruit. I could see recent alumnae (1-3 years) working out fine, because they know women still active in the chapter, and I think it might seem more natural if the alumna were introduced as an active's big. But there is definitely the pitfall that the PNMs know that these women will not be there in day-to-day activities in the chapter, plus an alumna, albeit a recent one, may have trouble relating to 18 year olds. I like the idea of using recent alumnae better than sisters from other chapters.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

IMO, it's better to have sisters from another chapter - but they have to change tactics. The sisters should emphasize the (inter)national appeal of the sorority in question, how they're there to help out because XYZ had more PNMs than they had expected, the national philanthropy, etc etc.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
At our school, we had the alums in the room to make our chapter appear larger but our school's panhel stated they weren't allowed to rush any of the PNMs so they mainly helped with setting up, refreshments, etc. and just looked busy when the PNMs were in the room. Also, their nametags specified they were alums and oftentimes they would be dressed differently than the collegiates in the chapter to further signify they were not actives. That was the best my chapter could do since we were on the smaller side.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 PM

I think double rushing is better. The chapter just has to train better for it because, ideally, the conversation should be just as natural as one on one would be.

We would have a handful of alum and sisters from another chapter in the room but they never spoke to a rushee.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I would say it depends on the campus. Neither would work on my campus. If you are double rushing or have to bring in girls from another chapter I would say chances are you will be closing your doors soon. When I went through rush both of the small chapters double rushed us (and still did very poorly). The next year one of the chapters brought in girls from their Auburn chapter (they still pledged way under quota)-it did not matter their fate was set unfortunately. Both closed within a few years. One tried to reorganize the year after it closed but was not successful.