GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,254
0 members and 2,254 guests
No Members online

Old 04-22-2010, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
So, what you're saying is that unless we went to an SEC, Big XII, Ivy, or University of California, we should just stay out of the Sorority Recruitmet forum alltogether?

If some girl is only following advice from GC without checking first with her campus panhellenic I'm not sure I care if she got a bid or not.
Oh come on - you know that's not the takeaway from this thread.

Everyone is free to give GENERAL advice that is beneficial regardless. HOWEVER we all know that these schools (plus others outside ones you listed) have their specific intricacies that could make or break it for PNMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
This thread reminds me of why I like NPHC's way of dealing with recruitment questions.

...I didn't realize PNMs (and their fragile dreams) had so much influence here.
Seriously. It wouldn't hurt for some of you to not jump all over Patty PNM everytime she posts a "OMGZ i'm planning to rush as State U, what should i wear, who should i pledge, what should i doooooooooo i'm a freshnaannnnnnn" thread.

Refer to the siggy. We tell PNMs/aspirants to not put all their eggs in one basket, yet we do the most in trying to give the most advice to just any ol' body. No, it doesn't make us bitches for simply replying "refer to your campus' website or your school's recruitment office for more information" every once in a while, especially when its CLEAR the OP hasnt done their part (especially when we don't even ask "have you checked with your campus/greek family members/older siblings?").
Old 04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I declare before God that you people are crazy.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Seriously. It wouldn't hurt for some of you to not jump all over Patty PNM everytime she posts a "OMGZ i'm planning to rush as State U, what should i wear, who should i pledge, what should i doooooooooo i'm a freshnaannnnnnn" thread.

Refer to the siggy. We tell PNMs/aspirants to not put all their eggs in one basket, yet we do the most in trying to give the most advice to just any ol' body. No, it doesn't make us bitches for simply replying "refer to your campus' website or your school's recruitment office for more information" every once in a while, especially when its CLEAR the OP hasnt done their part (especially when we don't even ask "have you checked with your campus/greek family members/older siblings?").
U R AWE SOME.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

i'll give you an example. in the "ready2011" thread, the op asks the general question,"if her religion will impact her ability to join or her membership experience." she is a 7th day adventist and keeps the sabbath, which for them is sundown friday to sundown saturday. i pointed out that many times initiation ceremonies are held either friday nights or saturdays. when she mentioned that she was interested in join a NPHC group, i asked her to disregard my statement, as it pertained to NPC. I have no experience in NPHC matters, and had she specified from the get-go that she was looking into NPHC organizations, i would not have responded to the thread.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
i'll give you an example. in the "ready2011" thread, the op asks the general question,"if her religion will impact her ability to join or her membership experience." she is a 7th day adventist and keeps the sabbath, which for them is sundown friday to sundown saturday. i pointed out that many times initiation ceremonies are held either friday nights or saturdays. when she mentioned that she was interested in join a NPHC group, i asked her to disregard my statement, as it pertained to NPC. I have no experience in NPHC matters, and had she specified from the get-go that she was looking into NPHC organizations, i would not have responded to the thread.
And even that is a chapter-to chapter thing. My chapter always does Initiation on Sunday mornings/afternoons and I know some other chapters at UMD initiate on weeknights.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I have seen incorrect or off-the-mark info handed out on many threads by many people. Not just 1 thread and not by just 1 or 2 or 4 posters.
Well, did you call them out, or did you just sit there and say "tch, tch, tch" and let the PNM have the wrong advice? If you did the latter, you're just as guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
(especially when we don't even ask "have you checked with your campus/greek family members/older siblings?").
There have been some family members of rushees on here who straight up admitted they didn't know jack because 1) they rushed the year everyone was wearing "Nixon Now" buttons 2) they went to Teeny Noncompetitive School and little sister/brother is going to Big Scary School. Not to mention the helicopters. So sometimes the family isn't the best place to go.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
That doesn't matter. We don't like giving advice to any aspirants because the informal stuff often varies by chapter so people need to get off the damn message boards and research and interact with others. And the formal stuff is NOT meant to be discussed on a message board. Either way, any NPHC aspirant who holds their breath for a GC response and takes it that seriously is a complete idiot who will probably never become a member.

As I always say, I come here to be entertained and not informed. I may choose to give an aspirant a serious helpful response one day and tell them something completely off-base just for shits and giggles the next day. The smart aspirants won't take ANY of it seriously.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And the fault was hers for being so vague about what she was talking about. If she came out immediately and said NPHC, we all would have kept our mouths shut. I personally don't care in that instance if she was confused.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Stop giving incorrect Judaism advice!

I thought Bar Mitzvah actually, I've had cake at those and Bat Mitzvas, never cake at a Bris.
ditto.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, that is a Bar Mitzvah (or Bat Mitzvah) cake. Generally, not that large (don't go there) because French pastry is de rigeur, with the make your own hot fudge sundae bar for the B'nai Mitzvot. And a good pig in the blanket (you should excuse the expression) is always welcomed.

Food for a bris (if kosher) can be the fish platter OR meat platter but can range up to, and including, Wolfgang Puck from Spago catering everything including Jewish pizza and sashimi cones. But, dessert almost always includes rugelach. (Go look that one up! not the salad green) We do not discriminate: a good French pastry is always welcomed.

The new gift of choice is, I believe, a watch. We went to one Bar Mitzvah where the boy got 5, yes 5 Rolexes. But most of the time a Tag will do.......

So, while I do know my Bar/Bat/Bris Mitzvahs (mitzvah means a good deed) food selections if I have made any mistakes in advice for recruitment: mea culpa.

Last edited by ellebud; 04-23-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Ellebud, you have me intrigued- "Jewish" pizza? I get the feeling you mean something besides kosher.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Jewish pizza: (created by Wolfgang Puck) pizza dough pre baked. His isn't too crispy nor too chewy. Topped by: creme fresh, then Nova lox covering the entire pizza. A few dabs of red caviar and a few bits of chive snipped on top. Heaven.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
Jewish pizza: (created by Wolfgang Puck) pizza dough pre baked. His isn't too crispy nor too chewy. Topped by: creme fresh, then Nova lox covering the entire pizza. A few dabs of red caviar and a few bits of chive snipped on top. Heaven.
Forgive my unsophisticated palate, but I gag at caviar. Had it at 15 at a theater opening and again at 16, and I just....ugh...

Old 04-23-2010, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

No prob. Hold the caviar!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll make reservations...