GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,671
1 members and 1,670 guests
Cookiez17

Old 10-25-2008, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Suspended

Right after I got in last spring, the national sorority I pledged got suspended from campus for 4 years because our formal got really out of hand. My pledge sisters and I are all really upset because we feel like we're missing out on the experience we worked so hard for. We've been trying to figure out something we can do, that will allow us to still be a sorority, do community service, take pledges and not get ourselves into more trouble. Would it be possible for us to become a local sorority even though we're a part of a national sorority, and how exactly would we go about doing that? I want to be able to present something concrete to my sisters so that we have some kind of set plan to follow. Any advise or info would be really helpful! thanks!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

If your university was aware of your infraction and had a hand in your suspension, it's unlikely they will permit the exact same members to form a local sorority. They would be too worried about a repeat of the same behavior, but this time without a national governing body to help regulate. If the suspension was only generated by your Nationals, you might have a chance.

When you describe what you're looking for, you emphasize the sisterhood and the service and the ability to continue to grow your sorority with new members. What about socializing? I'm just guessing that a formal getting out of hand probably involved infringement on your alcohol policies, yes? Is that kind of social life important to your members? Your best chance at either forming a local or affiliating with a non-NPC national is if you can convince the decision-makers that the members who "got out of hand" are not involved in this new group.

One more thing.... Is your intent for the group to bide its time until it can reaffiliate with your Nationals after the suspension is lifted? Obviously, the current members will be gone by then (which is the whole point, from National's perspective) but would you expect the local's newer members to seek reaffiliation when there is a chance?
Old 10-25-2008, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Our suspension was carried out by our school, not by nationals. The school is basically trying to get rid of greek life, so if we created a new group it would have to not be affiliated with the school at all, if that's possible. The social aspect is still important, but right now we still have that, which is why I didn't mention it. We still all go out and have fun together, but to take new members and do community work, we need to be an organization. The hope is that once the suspension is over, the new members of the local group will reaffiliate with our nationals, but only if they want to. It depends on what the new members think is the best thing for them when the time comes.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Unregistered-

AGDBubblesITY?
Old 10-25-2008, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

yea, she's my sister
Old 10-25-2008, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySarah View Post
We still all go out and have fun together, but to have socials with fraternities and wear letters, we need to be an organization.
FYP.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 AM

Your school is not going to allow you all as a group to do anything. The only option for a not affiliated with the school type group is a community sorority, and once they get wind of WHY you want to join, they'll say forget it.

If doing community service is important to you, join a service group on campus as individuals.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillySarah View Post
Our suspension was carried out by our school, not by nationals. The school is basically trying to get rid of greek life, so if we created a new group it would have to not be affiliated with the school at all, if that's possible. The social aspect is still important, but right now we still have that, which is why I didn't mention it. We still all go out and have fun together, but to take new members and do community work, we need to be an organization. The hope is that once the suspension is over, the new members of the local group will reaffiliate with our nationals, but only if they want to. It depends on what the new members think is the best thing for them when the time comes.
Be thankful that AGD will be allowed back in 4 years. Not too many groups have the privilege of returning after being told to leave.

If I were you, I wouldn't do anything that might jeopardize that.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Spam-o-Rama!!