GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,033
1 members and 1,032 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 07-10-2009, 03:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
My story of sisterhood is quite long, and some of you already know it if you've been around Greek Chat long enough. It was just published in Delta Gamma's ANCHORA (our magazine). The online version can be found here:

http://digital.watkinsprinting.com/publication/?i=9605

My story starts on page 17...on the right half of the page, it's called, "She may have Died, but I am my Mother's Sister."
OMG... Thank you for sharing that! It was such a beautiful story.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I just read WhiteDaisy's story in the Anchora and am sitting here crying tears like a baby! What an amazing story! It is so refreshing to hear stories of women working to lift each other up rather than bring each other down. Sometimes I feel like society wants to stereotype all women as catty bitches out for only themselves, but we know what women are really like.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Sisterhood is for always

Here's my latest - a Gamma Phi from Arizona had to come to the Houston Medical Center for her husband's surgery. She had to stay at a hotel, with no car, alone in a strange city. Her son, who worked on the Arizona State campus for years and had been impressed by his mom's sorority,wrote the president of the Houston Alumnae Chapter. We kicked into action - sent pink carnations to her hotel, and then arranged for members to take her to coffee, lunch, and last night a wonderful dinner. Saturday she is being taken to the Faberege exhibit at the Museum of Natural Science. She is just amazed - and was crying as we sang the blessing at dinner last night. "THIS" she said "is what being a Gamma Phi is all about".
Of course, THAT is what sisterhood, for all of us, is about.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
My story of sisterhood is quite long, and some of you already know it if you've been around Greek Chat long enough. It was just published in Delta Gamma's ANCHORA (our magazine). The online version can be found here:

http://digital.watkinsprinting.com/publication/?i=9605

My story starts on page 17...on the right half of the page, it's called, "She may have Died, but I am my Mother's Sister."
I know this is old, but this is absolutely a beautiful story of sisterhood.
I'm sorry for the loss of your mother, but very happy you found such amazing sisters. Thank you for sharing your story with us.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

What a beautiful thread. Thanks for the bump!

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority was very hard hit by breast cancer. (If AKAMonet is still on the board, thank you to you and your sisters for walking in the Susan Komen walk. And thank you to all who have supported the search for the cure.) Over 30% of my sisters have had breast cancer, and frankly, many died because they got cancer so young.

One of my sister's husbands, a physician, actually conducted studies to see if there was an ecological reasons as to why so many got sick.

Please bear in mind that it has been many years (and time and space and deaths) since I graduated from college. But, four years ago..this week...I felt a lump. And yes, it was cancer. And yes, I needed chemo.

Sisters that I hadn't heard from in years contacted me to support me, to offer advice, to send over meals. One of my friends who is an neighbor (and lost her mother to breast cancer) and was a sister not only brought food to my house, took me out when I was able to go and sat with me...making me eat. One day she sat for an hour while I struggle to eat 3 ounces of ice cream. And then she stayed to make sure it stayed down.

As one sister, who was also a survivor, who I hadn't heard from in years, said, "We have lost too many to breast cancer. I won't lose another sister."
Old 07-04-2010, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping 'cause it's been a month, and this thread is one of my favorites.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Annual bump in preparation for recruitment - sometimes you just need to remember what it is really all about.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been a part of this board for over three years and have never read this thread. This is why we join sororities. I'm in tears.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-04-2011, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

These stories are a wonderful example of what sisterhood really is.

This is fairly minor compared to most of these stories, but it was very touching to me.

I go to school in IL, six hours away from my home in TN. My car is rear wheel drive--definitely not equipped for IL winters, especially with someone from a place where snow and ice are scarce behind the wheel. It was the week before Spring Break, and my roommate, another sister, and I all decided to go out to dinner. I offered to drive because I never expected the weather could be at all bad so close to Spring Break--it had been warm all day. When we got outside I was a bit surprised to see ice that had to be scraped off my windshield, but I didn't think anything else of it since it had been so warm that week. As I was about to drive over a bridge, my roommate warns me to be careful because there might be black ice. I slowed down to much below the speed limit, but my tires just couldn't handle the ice. We spun out, spinning around multiple times, bouncing off a sidewalk and guard rails before finally stopping. We were all very luck and no one was injured (other than my car, of course). I however, was in shock over it, and didn't really know what else to do other than get out of the car and talk to an elderly man whose car had spun around as he tried to avoid mine. My sisters immediately took over for me, calling the towing companies to figure everything out. We were in a not very safe neighborhood at the time, and when the police showed up, they told us to wait inside a gas station down the street because standing on the bridge wasn't safe. Within five minutes of getting to the gas station, three other sisters had shown up (two alum sisters) to wait with us and drive us home. It meant so much to me to have my sisters show up and help me take care of everything since I was so far from home and didn't know what to do in an accident situation. One of the alums even offered to go buy me a sweet tea to calm me down.

Later that night, it really hit me how badly the accident could have ended since it was only the sidewalk that kept us from flipping over the bridge. I began crying because I felt so awful that I was responsible for almost hurting my sisters. Another sister's boyfriend (who is in a fraternity that I'm very close to) sat down and talked with me because he'd been driving in a similar accident that same year. He helped me to realize that it could have happened to anyone, and that I couldn't blame myself over it. I just had to be thankful that we'd been so lucky.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I have been a part of this board for over three years and have never read this thread. This is why we join sororities. I'm in tears.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

The one story that always touches my heart goes out to AOII. My mom was a sister when she was in college. When she was 25 or so she found out she had thyroid cancer. The doctor's said it probably started developing around the age of 20. Her sisters helped support her emotionally, because that is one of the most important things someone can do at that time. And now, she will be celebrating 27 years cancer free on Saturday. She gets to do so with the two children she wouldn't otherwise have. I also believe it was her big, my brother's godmother, that introduced my mom to my dad. He was in another fraternity on campus. So in a way, I always say to her that her sorority helped give me my life.

As for SAI... I have only been a member for a few months. Already I have heard plans of us helping one girl raise the money to have the little she has always wanted. They told us that the average big at our school ends up spending maybe $125 on their little. She has always saved for it and then last year, her little dropped. We want to give her another opportunity if we can since this is the one thing she really wants, and she had saved for 2 years in preparation for her last one. Oh, and because she is one of the sweetest and smartest girls we have ever known. She makes everyone smile when we see her, so we want to give her some smiles back!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I actually shed tears at some of these! This is the support and love I am hoping to find when I rush this fall!
Old 08-05-2011, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to knoxie13
Although this seems like something small, here is my story.
Shortly after becoming a pledge, after struggling with what I should do for weeks, I broke up with my long-term boyfriend. He is a wonderful guy but it just wasn't working for me and I was devastated. That night, I had a pledge event to attend, and the second I got there, I was swarmed with hugs and support from the actives. It meant the world to me that, after only a few weeks of knowing everyone, they already cared about me that much.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My story happened about a few weeks pledging. I was by myself, had recently had my tonsils removed, and suddenly started spitting up little bits of blood. Well, it turned into more than just a little bit and the only persons number I had in my phone was my Silver sister (kind of a pre-big) so I called her and told her what was happening and her and another sister got there quickly and took me to the hospital. They stayed there with me for the few hours that I was there. I was so glad that they were there, they really didn't have to stay but they did. When I got back to the house I got this HUGE hug from the house mother. Lol, I think she was more relieved than my actual mother that I was okay.