GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,471
2 members and 1,469 guests
*winter*, znathanhulzeo24

Old 02-21-2015, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

UT Austin Rush (OOS)

Hi everyone! So I am seriously considering attending UT Austin next year, and I definitely want to rush. I know that the school is mostly kids from Texas, so I'm nervous it will be really hard to get a bid since I'd be an OOS student. How difficult is the recruitment process? What should I do to prepare? What are my chances of receiving a bid to a well-respected sorority? Thank you in advance!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:03 PM

Hi!

1. We don't have a crystal ball to predict what your chances are.

2. You need to be open minded to EVERY group on campus, not just those deemed "well-respected" by you. There is likely something desirable about every group, because it's Texas.

3. If you have a list in your head of "would accept this group" and "wouldn't accept a bid from this group" you're headed for disappointment.

4. Just know that yes, in-state women are going to KNOW more members from school, camp, etc. That's going to give them an advantage, but it is possible for OOS girls to get bids. Are they going to be from Phi Beta Popular? Maybe not. But the opportunity definitely exists.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:07 PM

Some light reading to get you started:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ighlight=Texas

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

This next one is big because personal connections are HUGE:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=135221

And more:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=127132

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ighlight=birth

Happy reading and good luck!

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

The vast majority of girls going through rush will find a home if they finish the process. If you stick with it and allow yourself to be happy with any and all invitations, you will likely be happy on bid day. Most girls who don't end up with a sorority home at the end dropped out. Texas seems to have a tier structure that goes beyond visible to infamous. If you don't allow yourself to get caught up in that nonsense, you'll do fine.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is OOS and successfully pledged a sorority at UT this past Fall. At UT, it is important to have letters of rec for each sorority (and they don't need to come from a UT alum, so you can ask you friends, neighbors, teachers, etc.) and do what you can to meet some sorority girls now and in the next few months so you can make some connections ahead of time. Contact everyone you know who went to or goes to UT and try to get those relationships going.

My daughter's sorority has a fair number of OOS girls, as do a few other sororities. A few sororities have very few OOS because they draw primarily from certain areas/HS's in Texas, summer camps, etc. If you present yourself well, and are outgoing, you will do fine. Shy/reserved girls often have a tough time of it, given the competitive nature of recruitment.

Good luck!