GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,176
2 members and 2,174 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 AM
GreekChat Member

As I've said up thread, the number of documents you use for recommendations or letters of reference per Chapter is dependent on the individual Chapter's requirement for PNMs. Also I said two should be considered the minimum necessary. However, if it's just not possible because of there not many Alumnae around for a particular Chapter it's just not possible.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014rebelpnm View Post
Hey you guys! Quick question, as I am securing recs I am realizing that finding two for each sorority may not be the most realistic thing for me as I do not know many sorority alumnae. Will one suffice or will I face cuts because I have less than two?
Ask each woman who is doing a rec for you if she knows someone else in her group who could do one for you. And also ask them for members of the groups you don't have yet. Greek women know other Greek women.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Also ASK friends! When I was going through one of my friends had an older family friend who was in a GLO that I did not know anyone from / did not have a rec for, and vice versa…I had a cousin in a GLO that my friend didn't have a rec for…. by asking and making introductions we both secured the recs we didn't have!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Just wondering, are letters of support as easy to send along with recs if the recommendation is done online?
Old 04-08-2014, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014rebelpnm View Post
Just wondering, are letters of support as easy to send along with recs if the recommendation is done online?
Not something that you need to be concerned with. The alumna will handle it

Last edited by thetalady; 04-08-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I have to say that a rec + 3-4 letters seems like overkill, even for Ole Miss. Mary Poppins can correct me, but I really think that 1-2 recs and 1-2 letters is really plenty. Of course, it is more helpful if the recs/ letters are from Ole Miss alumnae.
Absolutely better to have Ole Miss greek alum recs for Ole Miss recruitment. It is also worth the time and effort to find someone willing to contact an active alum or member of each sorority to speak/write on your behalf in each house. You need at the very least two recs and personal letters of support are always helpful. Keep making phone calls and tapping every resource you can think of to contact. Your local Panhellenic is a great resource. Register as early as possible for recruitment!
Recruitment at Ole Miss can be heartbreaking for great young ladies with great grades, lots of activities and no connections. To maximize your choices try to get support in each house!
There are houses at Ole Miss who take grade risks with alum recs and support. But you really need to work hard to get the proper support. It is important to remember just like any other SEC school, with larger numbers going through recruitment and with lesser number of established houses, Ole Miss recruitment is rough! It is hard work and harder if you do not come from a greek family. But it is NOT impossible to end the week with choices and find a great home! Even for out of state girls! Important to keep an open mind about each and every possibility! Don't listen to any "tent talk"! Every sorority at Ole Miss is great! Recruitment at Ole Miss is all about preparation and anticipation!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellastar1 View Post
Recruitment at Ole Miss can be heartbreaking for great young ladies with great grades, lots of activities and no connections. To maximize your choices try to get support in each house!
There are houses at Ole Miss who take grade risks with alum recs and support. But you really need to work hard to get the proper support. It is important to remember just like any other SEC school, with larger numbers going through recruitment and with lesser number of established houses, Ole Miss recruitment is rough! It is hard work and harder if you do not come from a greek family. But it is NOT impossible to end the week with choices and find a great home! Even for out of state girls!
Not diminishing the importance of preparation ahead of time -- just a little perspective on the scary impression of it all. The Ole Miss stats for receiving a bid are actually pretty favorable compared to some other schools.

According to stats posted on this forum for 2012*, around 90% of the PNMs who attended first round received a bid:

"Of the 1250 participated in first round
50 released from system prior to bid matching
71 withdrew prior to bid matching
1129 participated in bid matching"

(and note that 71 PNMs withdrew during the process -- only 50 were released)

For the purposes of comparison -- during the same year at Bama (2012*), about 86% of PNMs who attended first round received a bid -- stats:

http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/documents...r2002-2012.pdf

(note also at Bama there were more withdrawals than releases)

Does anyone have the stats on the number of OOS PNMs participating in recruitment at Ole Miss? At Bama OOS participants now exceed 50% as I recall. Just wondering -- the girls I have known from my city and state who went through recruitment at Ole Miss received bids -- and they would all be OOS. I don't know any who were released (thankfully!).

Last edited by Hartofsec; 04-08-2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: *most recent numbers I found
Old 04-08-2014, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Not diminishing the importance of preparation ahead of time -- just a little perspective on the scary impression of it all. The Ole Miss stats for receiving a bid are actually pretty favorable compared to some other schools.

According to stats posted on this forum for 2012*, around 90% of the PNMs who attended first round received a bid:

"Of the 1250 participated in first round
50 released from system prior to bid matching
71 withdrew prior to bid matching
1129 participated in bid matching"

(and note that 71 PNMs withdrew during the process -- only 50 were released)

For the purposes of comparison -- during the same year at Bama (2012*), about 86% of PNMs who attended first round received a bid -- stats:

http://greekaffairs.ua.edu/documents...r2002-2012.pdf

(note also at Bama there were more withdrawals than releases)

Does anyone have the stats on the number of OOS PNMs participating in recruitment at Ole Miss? At Bama OOS participants now exceed 50% as I recall. Just wondering -- the girls I have known from my city and state who went through recruitment at Ole Miss received bids -- and they would all be OOS. I don't know any who were released (thankfully!).
With those numbers in mind and when you get stressed, just repeat over and over again... At least I'm not rushing at Indiana... At least I'm not rushing at Indiana... LOL!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
With those numbers in mind and when you get stressed, just repeat over and over again... At least I'm not rushing at Indiana... At least I'm not rushing at Indiana... LOL!
Seriously! At least at Ole Miss and Bama (and other SEC schools it seems), more PNMs means larger pledge classes -- not more releases!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Do OOS students attending Ole Miss tend to be more academically qualified than in-state?
Old 04-09-2014, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Do OOS students attending Ole Miss tend to be more academically qualified than in-state?
Do schools keep track of this information? I would think that at least some do, but searching online has yielded no results for me, whether I search for Ole Miss or any other school. I just looked for this info for about 10-15 different schools; big and small, southern and northern, and I'm coming up empty.

If schools do keep a record of GPAs for in-state vs. out-of-state students, it doesn't appear as though they release that information publicly, which is probably smart. I could come up with a few reasons why it'd be a bad idea to do so.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 04-09-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 AM
GreekChat Member

DB- I don't know if "academically more qualified" is exactly correct, but in-state students are automatically accepted if they meet certain GPA or if they meet a certain GPA and ACT combo score marks. Out of State Students are admitted if they meet a certain GPA/ACT score which is slightly higher than the GPA/ACT combo of the instate students. So in theory your freshman class could be comprised of 3 students.... 2 in-state - one who had an overall GPA of 3.75 yet bombed the ACT with a 10, and one with an overall GPA of 2.55 yet a better ACT of 17. (this would make an instate combined GPA of 3.15 and a combined ACT of around 13)-- Then you have your OOS who had an overall GPA of 2.8 and ACT of 22. So you see, unless you are a firm believer in standardized test as a predictor of future success (WHICH I AM NOT!) the OOS student is not necessarily "more qualified academically" than the in-state students... just did better on their ACT's... and has a higher GPA than "half" of the in-state students.

BTW- getting things back to recruitment--- ONLY in-state student A. with the 3.75 GPA would stand any sort of chance during sorority recruitment. :-)
Old 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOleMiss View Post
DB- I don't know if "academically more qualified" is exactly correct, but in-state students are automatically accepted if they meet certain GPA or if they meet a certain GPA and ACT combo score marks. Out of State Students are admitted if they meet a certain GPA/ACT score which is slightly higher than the GPA/ACT combo of the instate students. So in theory your freshman class could be comprised of 3 students.... 2 in-state - one who had an overall GPA of 3.75 yet bombed the ACT with a 10, and one with an overall GPA of 2.55 yet a better ACT of 17. (this would make an instate combined GPA of 3.15 and a combined ACT of around 13)-- Then you have your OOS who had an overall GPA of 2.8 and ACT of 22. So you see, unless you are a firm believer in standardized test as a predictor of future success (WHICH I AM NOT!) the OOS student is not necessarily "more qualified academically" than the in-state students... just did better on their ACT's... and has a higher GPA than "half" of the in-state students.

BTW- getting things back to recruitment--- ONLY in-state student A. with the 3.75 GPA would stand any sort of chance during sorority recruitment. :-)
Okay, I was more or less asking if OOS students tend to "look better," academically, to the chapters than in-state students. It sounds like the answer is not necessarily.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I know the past couple of years, Ole Miss had more OOS freshman students than in state. I don't know if that translated to more OOS students going through recruitment than in state. Same with the question of being "academically more qualified". OOS may be more qualified than some in state students but those in state students probably aren't signing up for a competitive recruitment.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay so I've been busily securing recs through personal connections and alumnae associations and there are about two organizations that havent emailed me back and I not sure if I will be able to find these recs personally. One of them actually emailed me back asking for my resume and picture but never responded after I sent those so I was just wondering what you guys would suggest I do? I don't want to seem pushy and make it seem like I feel like I'm entitled to a rec but I also want to find out whether or not a rec will be sent for me to that chapter.