GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,535
1 members and 2,534 guests
No Members online

Old 04-14-2012, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

PREF

Waking up on Saturday morning, I could hardly believe it was already the last round of rush. I was very excited for bid day because every sister in every sorority I talked to had told me bid day is the best day ever. I did not know where my three best friends would be going today because we did not discuss our picks from the night before, but my roommate, Jenny, made it pretty clear that if she did not get Punta Cana, she would not be accepting a bid. (The day before she had also been to Puerto Vallarta, San Juan, and Orlando).

I put on my dress and the girls on my floor and I made our way down to our Rho Gamma groups, and the room was buzzing with excitement and nervousness. Carly handed me my schedule, and I opened it. I quickly glanced down and saw that (in order) I would be returning to Punta Cana, Nassau, and Las Vegas. What happened to Cancun? I had been so sure that Cancun was a chapter I could see myself in and even though I still loved all three houses I was invited back to, I was still hurt that Cancun for whatever reason did not want me. Still excited for the day, I walked to my first house of my last round of recruitment.

Punta Cana- It surprised me how different preference round was than the previous ones because I knew it would be more serious, but I did not know that there would be no more singing and screaming. Not surprisingly, my good friend Lindsay greeted me at the door at Punta Cana. We sat down and had a serious talk about Punta Cana and how much she loves it. She also told me because we had been good friends prior to rush, she wanted us to be honest with each other so she said that I probably already knew she really wanted me in Punta Cana and that all of her sisters had loved me throughout the week, but that she did not want me to choose it just because she was in it as she would be leaving long before me (she's a junior) and that I needed to take her out of the equation when deciding what to do. The ceremony was very nice and I loved it, and I left Punta Cana thinking that this was the sorority I definitely wanted to join.

Nassau- I had loved Nassau throughout the rush process, but I think I knew I felt a little more at home at Punta Cana and Las Vegas. The girls here were all wonderful and the sister who I talked to for pref round was one I had met and gotten along well with earlier during rush, and the ceremony was beautiful. I would not be at all disappointed if this was the house I received a bid from, but I left Nassau knowing that they would not be my first choice.

Las Vegas- Of course, my friend Emily greeted me at the door at Las Vegas. I had made up my mind I wanted to be a Punta Cana, but then Emily started talking about everything Las Vegas had done for her and I had loved Las Vegas the entire week as well. The ceremony was so nice and sweet, and Emily told me that she really hoped I would choose Las Vegas and that every sister I had met had such great things to say about me. All in all, I left Las Vegas thinking I might rank them first after all..

We had to wait awhile before we were able to make our final rankings, and during this time I kept confusing myself more and more. I had loved all three houses I visited, and I really felt at home at both Punta Cana and Las Vegas. Also, I know Lindsay had told me not to feel this way but I felt that no matter what I put first, it would appear as if I was choosing between Lindsay and Emily rather than their sororities. Morgan, my favorite Rho Gamma, saw I was distressed and came over to talk me through my decision. She told me that as much as I thought I loved both houses, I really need to take Lindsay, Emily, and every person I knew in either sorority ahead of time out of my head and think about all of the sisters I had simply met during rush. She said that a sorority is comprised of many more girls than the few I already knew in each one, and I would be much happier at a place I knew I loved even the girls I had only met for a 3 minute period during recruitment. I was probably one of the last people to do my final rankings as I was so torn and kept going back and forth, but finally, I made a decision.

1. Punta Cana
2. Las Vegas
3. Nassau

(Unless I got a phone call in the morning saying I did not receive a bid) I knew I would be happy at any of the three chapters. After the day was over, we were all so exhausted that we got food and just went to bed. None of my friends (beside my roommate, who had preffed at Punta Cana, San Juan, and Orlando, and it was already very clear how she ranked them) discussed what we had done or where we had gone, but I hoped they were all happy with their choices.

Bid day will come soon!

Last edited by icecream123; 04-14-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to see where you end up!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-15-2012, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

BID DAY!

Waking up Sunday morning, my entire dorm was buzzing. We had all been waiting for this day pretty much since we got to school in August, and now we would finally be able to find out what sorority we would become apart of for the rest of our years of college. Our Rho Gammas were to call us in the morning if we did not receive a bid, and luckily, no one I knew received a phone call. We were told to just wear jeans/leggings and a tank top because we would be receiving shirts from our new sorority.

I made my way into the classroom my Rho Gamma group met in and everyone was so nervous and antsy, just wanting to be able to open our bids already. My Rho Gamma who I already knew was in Punta Cana, Morgan, would not make eye contact with me so this made me even more nervous than I already was. I knew I would be happy in any of the three chapters, but I still hoped for either of my top two, and hopefully, my top choice. Our Rho Gammas handed us our bids and we had to sit on the envelopes until everyone had received them. Finally, at the same time, we were all told to open the envelopes. I ripped mine open and saw that I was now a member of.....

PUNTA CANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I had ever been so excited for anything in my life. All of the girls in each classroom who received a bid from the same sorority ran and hugged each other, and then I took out my phone to text my three best friends and my roommate. However, I already had texts from Courtney (best friend), Lisa, and Alex. Courtney and Lisa's texts both read "I'M IN PUNTA CANAAA!!!!! WHAT ABOUT YOU?!!" and I actually think I could've passed out from excitement especially since I didn't even know either of them preffed there. As it turns out, Courtney preffed Punta Cana, Montego Bay, and Cabo (and ranked in that order) and Lisa preffed Punta Cana, Las Vegas, and Puerto Vallarta (and ranked in that order). My other best friend, Alex, got her first choice as well, which was Las Vegas so I was very happy for her (she ranked Las Vegas, Punta Cana, and Puerto Vallarta). I realized I did not yet have a text from Jenny (my roommate) and I knew this could not be a good sign because she had told me if she did not get Punta Cana she was dropping her bid. I texted her to see how everything went, and her response was "I got San Juan. I'm going back to our room it's not what I wanted." I tried as hard as I could to convince her to at least go to her bid day and see how things went but she refused. The other four girls on my floor who rushed are now members of Puerto Vallarta, Miami, Nassau, and Panama City.

After all the excitement died down in the classrooms, we were released to our student center where every single girl who rushed and members of every single sorority were there to greet us. Lindsay literally attacked me because we were both so excited, and I finally found Courtney and Lisa. Our Rho Gammas also did a big reveal so we could see where they all were, and I was at last allowed to go hug Morgan.

We met with our whole pledge class, and I discovered that there were several other girls I already knew and liked in Punta Cana with me. Now, more than two months later, we are all proud initiated members of Punta Cana and I can honestly say it has been the best two months of college for me so far. My big (the girl who I thought was the same person as me during rush) is one of my best friends, and I am now so close with so many people I never even knew only two months ago.

Because I feel like my school is pretty obvious (many people have already messaged me correctly guessing it) I would rather not post what the sororities actually are. If you would like to know, though, just message me and of course I'll tell you through that

Thanks for reading everyone!!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on getting your first choice! Can you at least post who Punta Cana is?
Old 04-15-2012, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Yes, please do!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! Wonderful story.

"I am often at my best when things look the worst." -Meb Keflezighi
Old 04-15-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream123 View Post
Waking up Sunday morning, my entire dorm was buzzing. We had all been waiting for this day pretty much since we got to school in August, and now we would finally be able to find out what sorority we would become a part of for the rest of our lives.
Fixed your post - first, I'm a bit of a grammar nazi and it's "a part" rather than "apart", and second, you join a GLO for life, not just for your college years.

Congratulations on Punta Cana!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Fixed your post - first, I'm a bit of a grammar nazi and it's "a part" rather than "apart", and second, you join a GLO for life, not just for your college years.

Oops, thanks for correcting my grammar mistakes

I figured since I've gotten a few complaints I might as well go ahead and post my sorority...I'm now a member of Phi Sigma Sigma!

Thanks to everyone who read, and feel free to message me!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on Phi Sigma Sigma!!!

ΑΓΔ
Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on Phi Sigma Sigma!! I know a ton of wonderful Phi Sig women. I actually preffed there, and you're right, the ceremony was beautiful. I'm so happy you found your home
Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to Phi Sig!
Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post

*See sig below! Bugs me too!*

Thanks for posting your story!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Loved your story! I was rooting for Cancun (although I've never been there), but it sounds like you found your home and your home found you.

What happened with your roommate?

Since others are posting corrections, I would also add ... you mean "practically," "virtually," or "essentially," not "literally."
Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone!

My roommate did not show up to bid day and is thinking about re-rushing next year.