GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,383
0 members and 1,383 guests
No Members online

Old 06-05-2009, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Legacy... what does it mean?

I'm not going to name the sororities just in case any FSU sorority girls are looking on here I am a legacy to Sorority A (through my grandmother and my great-grandmother and great-aunt were also in it) & Sorority B (through my mother)... and I am rushing this fall. What exactly does being a legacy mean? Are you guaranteed a bid? Is it desirable for a sorority to have a legacy in their pledge class?

Also, is it okay to send multiple recommendations to a certain sorority, or is it overkill?

Thank you
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Being a legacy does NOT guarantee a bid.

It's nice to be able to have a legacy, but chapters certainly aren't obligated to take them.

Also, at a school like FSU, there are probably quite a few legacies.

I've read here that 2-3 recs per chapter is quite enough.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-05-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPalmTree View Post
I'm not going to name the sororities just in case any FSU sorority girls are looking on here I am a legacy to Sorority A (through my grandmother and my great-grandmother and great-aunt were also in it) & Sorority B (through my mother)... and I am rushing this fall. What exactly does being a legacy mean? Are you guaranteed a bid? Is it desirable for a sorority to have a legacy in their pledge class?

Also, is it okay to send multiple recommendations to a certain sorority, or is it overkill?

Thank you
Make sure that your legacy relative sends the appropriate form to the chapter, it can cause confusion and wasted time on the part of members if they are trying to confirm what you put on your application and there is no supporting documentation. If these relatives are deceased find an alumnae to write one to include that information.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPalmTree View Post

Thank you
Check with your relatives to make sure that their status as a member actually makes you a legacy. I know of at least one NPC group that doesn't count grandmothers for legacy status, and I don't know of anyone who counts aunts, great grandmothers or great aunts. Obviously you are a legacy through your mother. Most NPC organizations only guarantee a legacy a courtesy invitation past the first round. They may not HAVE to invite you back after that. Some chapters, however, value legacies very highly and like to pledge them, but like others have said, some chapters can't possibly take all of their legacies.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

whether or not the sorority that your grandmother, great-grandmother and great-aunt are members of considers you a legacy, i think it would be impressive to the members and chapter advisors to know that part of your(their) history. be sure to have whomever writes a recommendation to that chapter to mention that information, including the names(first, maiden and last name) of your relatives.

as the others have said, being a legacy does not guarantee one a bid. you have to impress them in your own right.

a couple of recommendations per chapter should be sufficient. recommendation forms most often don't allow a lot of room for the author to share detailed information, and redundent information won't increase your chances, so if they feel so inclined, an accompanying letter(sometimes referred to as a letter of support) could be helpful. the letter would highlight your talents and point out how those talents could enhance their chapter.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Check with your relatives to make sure that their status as a member actually makes you a legacy. I know of at least one NPC group that doesn't count grandmothers for legacy status, and I don't know of anyone who counts aunts, great grandmothers or great aunts. Obviously you are a legacy through your mother. Most NPC organizations only guarantee a legacy a courtesy invitation past the first round. They may not HAVE to invite you back after that. Some chapters, however, value legacies very highly and like to pledge them, but like others have said, some chapters can't possibly take all of their legacies.
Everyone's given helpful advice.
I'd like to mention that at least one NPC sorority, Alpha Xi Delta, DOES consider nieces to be legacies -- this is not a "secret," it's posted in the open, public "alum" section of the sorority HQs web site. There may be others, so you and / or your relatives may want to double-check each separate sorority's current policy. I myself haven't researched every single NPC sorority.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much everyone ! For the sorority A- I checked, and I am considered a legacy through my grandmother. Great advice!
Old 06-06-2009, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I had some similar questions about legacies. Thanks for the info!