GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 304,653
Threads: 114,428
Welcome to our newest member, Erlina
» Online Users: 209
3 members and 206 guests
clemsongirl, uberduxulys

Old 05-30-2004, 11:30 PM

Republicans and Democrats getting along just fine...

If you've read my posts, you probably know how sick I am of all of the finger pointing, charges, countercharges and just plain mudslinging. And that's just here on GC, let alone in the campaign.

I watched the dedication of the WWII Memorial, and was really pleased to see Presidents Clinton, Bush and Bush just sort of standing around smiling and chatting.

That was nice.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:38 PM
laidbackfella

Re: Republicans and Democrats getting along just fine...

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
really pleased to see Presidents Clinton, Bush and Bush just sort of standing around smiling and chatting

They were talkin about interns and "high" times on Air Force One.

Old 05-30-2004, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
When it comes to hero's or times of tradgity, Democrats and Republicans get along great and actually work together. To bad it can't be an everyday case.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:14 AM
Unregistered-

Democrats and Republicans getting along on GC? It would never happen. The thread's lockdown would come faster than that of a Blackface one.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The1calledTKE
When it comes to hero's or times of tradgity, Democrats and Republicans get along great and actually work together. To bad it can't be an everyday case.
No, that'd be bad.

Say they did cooperate and get along... Then we'd have more legislation make it through. More laws to complicate our lives and just more crap to deal with. The more gridlock on capital hill, the less new pains in the ass we have to deal with.

I kind of like this 50/50 split thing.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-31-2004, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

There is a big difference between disagreeing on issues and getting along versus trying to make each other look bad and insulting people over the differences of opinion. It is possible to debate without slinging insults.

This brings me to the topic of "waffling", which some politicians are accused of. I sometimes hear it called waffling when one person wants A, another wants B, and they agree on C, which is actually compromise or negotiation. Compromise and negotiation are the best methods of conflict resolution. If someone does either though, they are "waffling", rather than using good communication and conflict resolution.

There is another thing that a lot of people don't seem to realize about bills that go through the House and Senate (for both state and federal bodies). You can really believe that A should happen but another group believes A is really a bad idea. You also believe that B is a very bad thing and there is no way you'd vote for it. Often, the bill that addresses A suddenly gets B attached to it. This happens frequently, taking on extra stuff to a major bill. You might have to vote against A because you are so vehemently opposed to B, even though you totally agree with A. Voting on a bill is rarely cut and dried. The parties (BOTH parties) manipulate each other this way, trying to stick on something that they want to something they know the other party wants more.

Lastly, if you've never had an opinion, then changed it, because your life experience changed you, or you received more information that changed your opinion, then you've been very closed minded. People do change opinions as they gain experience and knowledge and this doesn't make them bad people, it makes them wise people.

Dee