GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,688
2 members and 1,686 guests
Overthinker, Sister Havana

Old 11-28-2009, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Any info on grandfather's fraternity?

Last night, my grandmother and I were looking through some of her old jewelry and we came across some really great stuff. My grandmother kept a couple of her old badges (one from a drama fraternity and the other from a sorority formed of women educators). We also came across some items that belonged to my grandfather, but I can't for the life of me find any information on Alpha Beta Gamma.

My grandfather studied Aeronautics and Meteorology at St. Louis University; he graduated 1952. One of the items (a beer stein, actually) has the the fraternity crest, letters and has a plane and rocket flanking the crest. The other item, a necklace, is rectangular with a diamond shape in the middle. At the peak of the diamond is a star. In the middle are the greek letters and below the letters is a lamp. I will post pictures when I get home tomorrow evening.

I know there is an Alpha Beta Gamma honorary business fraternity, which was founded in 1970 but I don't think this is the same fraternity.

If the brilliant minds of GC would help me learn more about my grandfather's fraternity, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I can contribute a little to the mystery. Parks College, located in Cahokia, Illinois, specialized in aeronautics and was a part of St. Louis University. In 1997 it closed and consolidated with SLU. Alpha Beta Gamma was one of four local fraternities at Parks and was founded in 1945. In the late 1980s & early 1990s both Kappa Delta Rho and Theta Xi installed chapters there. It is possible that it was the predecessor of one of those as I do not know if they were formed from colonies or existing locals. When the consolidation took place the KDR chapter transfered to SLU but the Theta Xi chapter closed. Perhaps someone else can add to this information.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Oldu,

Your information is greatly appreciated. I figured the fraternity would either be a professional aeronautical type or a local. I'm going to poke around some more, maybe try to get in touch with someone at SLU.

Thank you so much!

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 11-30-2009, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Contact the university historian/archivist and they can pull old yearbooks - locate ether your grandfather's pic with listing of clubs OR the group page for the fraternity.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Just out of curiosity, did your grandfather work with NASA or another aspect of the space program? I ask because my uncle did.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Just out of curiosity, did your grandfather work with NASA or another aspect of the space program? I ask because my uncle did.
As far as I am aware, he did not directly work with NASA. He participated in the Air Force ROTC program during college and remained with the military until he retired, so there is a possibility he did, but I don't know for sure.

Denise DPhiE, I used a similar tactic to learn more information about my grandmother (on the other side) and her sorority affiliation. Now that the Thanksgiving break is over, I can devote more time to this research. I expect to be busy with this through the winter break. Thank you for your help!

Last edited by chickenoodle; 12-01-2009 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello you may want to check this site out. Let me know if i can be of anymore help.

http://www.slu.edu/organizations/adg/home.htm