GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,255
2 members and 1,253 guests
PGD-GRAD, Titchou

Old 08-11-2007, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

2007 UGA Sorority Rec. Article

UGA sorority tradition: Young and in a rush
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...ge_tab_newstab

By ANDREA JONES
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/12/07

(Here's highlights of the article.)

It is an annual rite of passage playing out for thousands of young women on hundreds of college campuses this time of year, a time of emotional highs and lows that some describe as more cutthroat and competitive than getting into college itself.

At the University of Georgia, where the process is now called "recruitment," nearly 1,300 sorority hopefuls arrived on campus Friday morning in sweltering heat to move into their residence halls. Red-faced fathers lugged boxes and bags to their daughters' dorm rooms as moms hovered, unpacking IKEA bedspreads, hair rollers and piles of clothes.....

On greekchat.com, an online network for people in sorority and fraternity life, a mother of a UGA student anonymously posted this after she said her daughter was not invited back to any sororities after the second round of recruitment last year:

"She was devastated, is devastated, and because she is in so much pain — so am I." Her daughter, she said, has "had her share of disappointments and handled them well."

"But, this has been more than she can process — cut by all [the] sororities in two days when her visits seemed to go so well."

Her daughter's experience is rare — most of the women receive invitations to at least some of the sorority houses at the end of the six-day, four-round period.........

Whatever the end of the week holds, the young women will venture out with the encouragement of blue-vested recruitment counselors who tell their charges to keep open minds and positive attitudes.

Overall, about 75 percent of young women who start the recruitment process pledge in sororities on Bid Day, the first day of classes at the university.

Some take the process incredibly seriously and solicit stacks of letters of recommendation from sorority alumnae before they get to school.

There are more than 2,800 active college chapters and 4,500 alumnae chapters of national sororities nationwide, and the National Panhellenic Conference estimates there are more than 3.8 million women who classify themselves as lifelong members of sororities.

Nationally, about 82,000 new members pledge each year.

Greek enrollment peaked in the late 1980s and early 1990s, nationally and statewide. About a quarter of UGA's students were affiliated with a fraternity or sorority from 1985 to 1990. Now, 20 percent are.

It's a mantra that's repeated over and over during recruitment — that girls should go where they feel comfortable.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Your horizons are broad

The AJC article closed with this line, " It's a mantra that's repeated over and over during recruitment — that girls should go where they feel comfortable." That is so true, and girls should be open to the idea that Greek life is not the only option for having a group of friends in college. For those who are not chosen, for those who choose not to accept a bid, and for those who never go through rush (why does everything have to be renamed?), remember that there is life outside of Greek.

I graduated from FSU in 1974. Arriving on campus in the fall of 1970 I had high school friends who wanted nothing more than to be accepted by a sorority, some who disdained it altogether, and then there was me. I knew nothing about sororities, so I went along to some rush parties, dressed up in hose and heels in 98 degree heat and 98% humidity. I did not enjoy it, did not feel comfortable, and did not continue. I did not feel sad or rejected, just knew what was best for me. Back then we non Greeks were mostly Freaks, enjoying a laid back hippie style, and we had our own group, the GDI's, or to be polite, Independents.

My group included Greeks and Freaks, undergrads and grads, guys and girls. We played spades on Saturday nights, had cookouts, took road trips to the beach, and developed lasting friendships. No rules, no pecking order, no formals, no dress code, no dues, and we had a blast.

Greek life is great for many, but it's not the only option as there are many student organizations to join that can meet your social needs. The potential for rejection looms large in the Greek recruitment process. If you are rejected, or you choose not to accept, then in the words of the great philosopher, "Don't Worry, Be Happy." Make new friends and form your own GDI.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^While that's good advice, this is a board for members of Greek organizations, so we tend to think that Greek life is pretty good. Is it for everyone, no, but I can say that my college experience and my life have been enriched by membership in a sorority.

On the article, I assume there will be a correction between National Pan-Hellenic and National Panhellenic. Otherwise, I thought it was a pretty balanced piece.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

The placement of this article is interesting. It is a huge article which takes up nearly half of the front page of the AJC and includes photos.

The writer used the term "all white" sororities in the article. From seeing bid day photos of chapters across the country I know that NPC groups are diverse. Is this a true statement concerning the NPC GLOs at UGA?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
The placement of this article is interesting. It is a huge article which takes up nearly half of the front page of the AJC and includes photos.

The writer used the term "all white" sororities in the article. From seeing bid day photos of chapters across the country I know that NPC groups are diverse. Is this a true statement concerning the NPC GLOs at UGA?
Well, although the NPC groups at UGA are diverse in term of ethnicity, they don't tend to have Black members. I suspect had there been one Black PNM the reporter would have interviewed her, so part of the problem is the lack of racial diversity in the PNM pool.

(Only a few of the groups COB/COR in the average year; the groups who are above total and recruit to quota in formal can essentially only recruit from the PNMs in formal in the fall. If African-American young women don't set themselves up for the joy that is SEC recruitment, the system is in a perpetual demographic loop.)
Old 08-12-2007, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry for the double post, but I re-read the article, and I have to say, it's pretty poorly done throughout. There's not that much factual information that you have to get right, and yet the article misses the council names, the idea of campus panhellenic, the decade of DPhiE's founding at UGA.

It's like they just trotted out the usual junk but couldn't even get the details right. Here's an idea, AJC, why not let someone familiar with the NPC at UGA cover NPC recruitment?
Old 08-12-2007, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Other schools

While recruitment is ongoing at UGA and yet to occur at many schools, both in GA and outside of GA, the article should not have mentioned any sorority by name. As we all know a sorority at one school might be really great and "in demand" while at another school the sorority could be not very well rated, reputation, etc. While DPhiE was founded as a Jewish sorority and has been at UGA many years as such, it is not majority "Jewish" at many schools. There are other strong and active chapters of DPhiE that might now be damaged with regard to the labeling of the AJC article.

Even with bids from some of the more well known strong southern sororities and having four generations of legacies to another sorority my daughter chose DPhiE at another southern school (not UGA) and the members are not "mostly Jewish" nor is my daughter. The chapter is actually one of the largest and most popular sororities on her campus.

With that said the "labeling" done by the AJC article was detremental to DPhiE and could happen to any sorority on any campus (good or bad). Just goes to show that saying DPhiE is Jewish does not really apply to all chapters!
Old 08-12-2007, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Myonlydaughter--I certainly understand what you are saying about DPhiE. I am a member who is not Jewish, in fact, I went to a catholic college. That said, I don't think this article is going to damage the reputation of the organization across the country. The reality is at UGA, DPhiE has historically been known as as a "Jewish chapter" and, to many in the community, that's all they know.

Reputations are unfortunately hard to lose in a system like UGA. I think that was the point of the article--that the system at UGA is stratified based on history or perceptions (and I was pleased that the article attempted to address that issue). DPhiE unfortunately never found an identity after the disbanding of the Jewish quota system at UGA--thankfully that is not the case on many campuses where we have been able to establish strong chapters.

It is certainly hard to see a chapter that just celebrated 70 years close--but hopefully we'll return to UGA in future.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
Here's an idea, AJC, why not let someone familiar with the NPC at UGA cover NPC recruitment?
Actually the woman who wrote this article is an alumnae of a UGA sorority. Who would have guessed?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
Actually the woman who wrote this article is an alumnae of a UGA sorority. Who would have guessed?
an NPC sorority? That blows my mind. How could she get the Pan-Hellenic and Inter-fraternity Council stuff wrong then? Or not check her D Phi E dates?

ETA: I'm not saying that a member of another type of sorority would be more careless, but I might not expect them to know the info. the same way I'd expect an NPCer from UGA to know about the process.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-12-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Don't miss the photos with the article

If you go the front page of ajc.com there is a link to about a dozen photos with the article.

Since so many posters were curious about 'what to wear' - you can see what the PNMs are wearing in the heat of Georgia!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:22 PM

The writer could have had it correct only to have her editor "fix" the names.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTree View Post
Since so many posters were curious about 'what to wear' - you can see what the PNMs are wearing in the heat of Georgia!
I'm seeing flip-flops like whoa.... hmmm.....

Here's the gallery.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 08-13-2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: fixed the link
Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myonlydaughter View Post
While recruitment is ongoing at UGA and yet to occur at many schools, both in GA and outside of GA, the article should not have mentioned any sorority by name. As we all know a sorority at one school might be really great and "in demand" while at another school the sorority could be not very well rated, reputation, etc. While DPhiE was founded as a Jewish sorority and has been at UGA many years as such, it is not majority "Jewish" at many schools. There are other strong and active chapters of DPhiE that might now be damaged with regard to the labeling of the AJC article.

Even with bids from some of the more well known strong southern sororities and having four generations of legacies to another sorority my daughter chose DPhiE at another southern school (not UGA) and the members are not "mostly Jewish" nor is my daughter. The chapter is actually one of the largest and most popular sororities on her campus.

With that said the "labeling" done by the AJC article was detremental to DPhiE and could happen to any sorority on any campus (good or bad). Just goes to show that saying DPhiE is Jewish does not really apply to all chapters!
A lot of D Phi E's chapters are at smaller schools where if you actually found 2 Jewish people, you'd be shocked. I think the rushees at those schools are going to figure out that the "Jewish sorority" label isn't something that applies to every school they're located at. Same with some of the other NPC groups that are "Jewish sororities" (by default or by design) at bigger schools.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

My info says the decade of DPhiE's founding at UGA is the 1930s... does someone have other information?