GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,243
0 members and 2,243 guests
No Members online

Old 06-25-2015, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

White Dress Sightings 2015

Lord and Taylor have an entire section on their website called "Little White Dresses." Many of them are on clearance.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/...1_L2_WMNS_STAC
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2015, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Cute!!

PNMs, most sororities will require that you have a white dress for initiation. Some do not allow strapless dresses or those with spaghetti straps.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

And the need to be white white with no colored trim. Not ecru, not off white, not eggshell-you get the idea.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

AND, sometimes the Little White Dress isn't just for Initiation. It could be used for other ceremonies before and after Initiation.

Keep in mind that you're not buying this to impress men; you're buying this dress as a sorority woman. As carnation said, nothing strapless nor with spaghetti straps. Not too short, not too long, not skintight.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Think of it as something you'd wear around your grandparents - something very classy, elegant, simple, timeless. Buy quality, it'll last the entire time you need it in college (and possibly beyond, unless your body shape changes or you get taller or something of the sort).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-25-2015, 09:34 PM

And if you end up in a chapter that doesn't need them, or you end up not pledging for any reason, they still come in handy! You can lend them out to other girls, you can use them for costume events (angel, bride, etc), and white casual dresses are great to wear in the Spring and Summer.

So get one even if you're not sure because finding them in the Fall is not easy!
Old 06-25-2015, 10:13 PM

Disclaimer: Always check with your New Member Educator or VP of NM Ed prior to purchasing. These dresses may or may not fit your organization's guidelines for white dresses.

From Saks:

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...&bmUID=kUGidFg

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...&bmUID=kUGidFf

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/...&bmUID=kUGh2GY

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-25-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:19 PM

A few from Macy's for those on a budget:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/j...26slotId%3D102

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/k...26slotId%3D103

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/j...%26slotId%3D99

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

A Note for Curvier PNMs

Hello Everyone,

This is going to be a little long but hopefully it has a good message. I was one of several alumnae initiates initiated on May 3rd into Pi Chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta so this issue is still fresh in my mind. I want to encourage curvier PNMs not to settle on a dress.

I selected this one http://media.plussizetech.com/roaman...86_mc_0478.jpg and although it met all the requirements, I was uncomfortable through the entire day which was initiation in 2 groups, reinstallation, and the Feast of Roses banquet. It also ended up being big and it stretched so it got looser on top throughout the whole day. Now, I give Roaman's a lot of credit because they do have larger sizes and they do have some nice things but I settled on this dress because it met requirements and it was on sale. It also was 100% polyester and wore like a sack on me. However, if you click on the link I provided, there are other great white dress options currently there for the curvier PNM.

Please all PNMs check and make sure what type of white dress that you are going to need. I needed tea-length or longer and it had to be conservative so no low back or exposed cleavage or shoulders. Ritual is an important part of membership and it needs to be respected but please wear something that you feel good about even if it's not what you would normally wear. You don't want to keep pulling up the top of your dress and trying to fan yourself to stay cool because your skin is stuck to Polyester. It's an important day and you should able to enjoy it.

The reason that I told my story and some of these lessons can be used for all PNMs not just curvier ones is to tell all PNMs to please buy now if you can. If you don't need it after formal or informal, leave the tags on and return it if possible or gift it to someone who needs one, or loan it out to sisters in different chapters who might unexpectedly need one and not have time to get one. But please, be prepared with a white dress that works for you and your sorority. Also, you may think that it'll be easier to get a dress in a different month, most likely not. I shopped in April/May and I was too early for a lot of white dress options. I'd also advise checking out shoes early as well.

Oh and above all, you do not want to put yourself in the situation of having to immediately replace your dress. I am on the lookout for a new one already.

Notes: I only had 1 month to find a dress. I was notified that I was going to join Alpha Gamma Delta in April at IRD. I also went to several stores and none had a white dress in my size that met requirements. If you can find a store with your size, always always always try on the dress. I didn't have this option.

Thanks Everyone! I hope you have a good day!

Last edited by KohawkAlumna08; 06-26-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:59 PM

As someone who had to try and locate a white dress in September, yes the earlier the better!

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohawkAlumna08 View Post
Hello Everyone,

This is going to be a little long but hopefully it has a good message. I was one of several alumnae initiates initiated on May 3rd into Pi Chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta so this issue is still fresh in my mind. I want to encourage curvier PNMs not to settle on a dress.

I selected this one http://media.plussizetech.com/roaman...86_mc_0478.jpg and although it met all the requirements, I was uncomfortable through the entire day which was initiation in 2 groups, reinstallation, and the Feast of Roses banquet. It also ended up being big and it stretched so it got looser on top throughout the whole day. Now, I give Roaman's a lot of credit because they do have larger sizes and they do have some nice things but I settled on this dress because it met requirements and it was on sale. It also was 100% polyester and wore like a sack on me. However, if you click on the link I provided, there are other great white dress options currently there for the curvier PNM.

Please all PNMs check and make sure what type of white dress that you are going to need. I needed tea-length or longer and it had to be conservative so no low back or exposed cleavage or shoulders. Ritual is an important part of membership and it needs to be respected but please wear something that you feel good about even if it's not what you would normally wear. You don't want to keep pulling up the top of your dress and trying to fan yourself to stay cool because your skin is stuck to Polyester. It's an important day and you should able to enjoy it.

The reason that I told my story and some of these lessons can be used for all PNMs not just curvier ones is to tell all PNMs to please buy now if you can. If you don't need it after formal or informal, leave the tags on and return it if possible or gift it to someone who needs one, or loan it out to sisters in different chapters who might unexpectedly need one and not have time to get one. But please, be prepared with a white dress that works for you and your sorority. Also, you may think that it'll be easier to get a dress in a different month, most likely not. I shopped in April/May and I was too early for a lot of white dress options. I'd also advise checking out shoes early as well.

Oh and above all, you do not want to put yourself in the situation of having to immediately replace your dress. I am on the lookout for a new one already.

Notes: I only had 1 month to find a dress. I was notified that I was going to join Alpha Gamma Delta in April at IRD. I also went to several stores and none had a white dress in my size that met requirements. If you can find a store with your size, always always always try on the dress. I didn't have this option.

Thanks Everyone! I hope you have a good day!
Congrats. I used to live in CR and loved the campus. I left CR at the end of February
Welcome to the Syracuse Triad
Old 06-30-2015, 12:54 AM

I just recently came across the following from Chico's:

Geometric Renee Maxi Dress (may not pass muster with some sororities, as the opaque part is only knee length and it is sleeveless)

Travelers Classic Drop-Needle Dress (also may not pass muster because of the side slits)

Sleeveless and cap sleeve dresses may be ok, or you may need to pair them with a white jacket or wrap.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:37 PM

Nordstrom has an entire section of their site for white dresses right now.

It's also Anniversary Sale time so many of them are marked down 20% - 40%!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-l...origin=leftnav

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Seriously, why isn't there a whitedresses.com or something? There are enough sorority women looking for white dresses out there. (And back in the day - I had to look for a white dress in October!)
Old 07-19-2015, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

What about White House Black Market? http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/ Not necessarily budget friendly but white is one of their specialties.