GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,185
2 members and 2,183 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 06-10-2010, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

How formal is Pref. night?

I know it changes per school, and per sorority, and per year, but my school's website only shows two dresses on the website which doesn't give me a very good idea.

I assume by 'formal' it means cocktail dresses, not prom-like dresses.

I have found a dress that I love, but I keep thinking it might be too formal. It is a form-fitting bubble hemmed pink dress.

It's the same material most prom dresses are made of (the shiny material), but it short and more party-like.

Here's my questions:
1. How formal was your dress? ((A link to a similar dress would help if you can. If not, it's cool. :]))
2. Where did you find your dress?
3. Is the dress I described above too formal?
4. Is it best to stick with neutral/simple colors, or are bright colors acceptable?

Thanks girls! If there are similar threads, just link me. :] I've searched around and can't find exactly what I'm looking for (but I tend to overlook the obvious sometimes. ha ha)

Last edited by Aerylle; 06-10-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2010, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

depends on where you are going through recruitment. Some schools are "no frill" or have a pretty casual recruitment all together. Other schools are more formal. I would think that from what you're saying "formal" means like a cocktail dress...definitely NOT a prom dress. Also, at some schools, PNMs wear black dresses to pref. But, that wouldnt be required but it might mention it in the recruitment info. I would say dresses like these would probably work with what it sounds like they're suggesting.

just make sure its simple and classic. not too short or anything.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerylle View Post
I know it changes per school, and per sorority, and per year, but my school's website only shows two dresses on the website which doesn't give me a very good idea.

I assume by 'formal' it means cocktail dresses, not prom-like dresses.

I have found a dress that I love, but I keep thinking it might be too formal. It is a form-fitting bubble hemmed pink dress.

It's the same material most prom dresses are made of (the shiny material), but it short and more party-like.

Here's my questions:
1. How formal was your dress? ((A link to a similar dress would help if you can. If not, it's cool. :]))
2. Where did you find your dress?
3. Is the dress I described above too formal?
4. Is it best to stick with neutral/simple colors, or are bright colors acceptable?

Thanks girls! If there are similar threads, just link me. :] I've searched around and can't find exactly what I'm looking for (but I tend to overlook the obvious sometimes. ha ha)
The dress you are describing sounds like it COULD be bordering on too prom-y for pref. Think more cocktail, less homecoming.

Personally, I got my dress at a local boutique and it was black with kind of a cut out scoop neck that was covered in a black mesh with beading (that sounds slutty/weird but it was really cute!).

I would say colors are ok if you are a person that normally wears colors (I usually stick to neutrals). You want to be comfortable and still be yourself.

Something like this:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3101832/...bo=6014146&P=1

or this
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3101467/...bo=6014146&P=1

would be great. I personally love Nordstrom but there are cute dresses available at any budget. If you do end up joining a chapter you will probably be able to wear it again for a formal or something so you can get your money's worth.

Ps- now I REALLY REALLY REALLY want both of those dresses. But I am not a PNM, le sigh.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

You want it to be very classic/mature/cute, not so much flashy... I got mine from J Crew.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, good to know. Thank you!

Turns out my taste tends to be more formal than is required. I'll start looking for more of a cocktail dress. Thank you once again, to Nordstrom I go. :]
Old 06-10-2010, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref attire will differ from school to school. I've never heard of a school where PNMs wear formal, prom-like dresses, but maybe there are schools like that.

1. My dress was a 3/4 sleeve multicolored wrap dress. I went through recruitment in winter, though. Looking back, I would have gone for more of a cocktail look.
2. I got mine on eBay. It was BCBG. I had been lusting over it and found it cheaper there. I didn't get it specifically for pref, though. It was just what I decided to wear out of what I had.
3. At my school, it your dress would be too formal.
4. I've never heard of a school where an LBD isn't appropriate for pref. At some schools it is a necessity (Texas comes to mind), at others, a colored dress is perfectly fine.

Last edited by violetpretty; 06-10-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbt1990 View Post
You want it to be very classic/mature/cute, not so much flashy... I got mine from J Crew.
Thanks for the help. And suggestion of store. :]
Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Pref attire will differ from school to school. I've never heard of a school where PNMs wear formal, prom-like dresses, but maybe there are schools like that.

1. My dress was a 3/4 sleeve multicolored wrap dress. I went through recruitment in winter, though. Looking back, I would have gone for more of a cocktail look.
2. I got mine on eBay. It was BCBG.
3. At my school, it your dress would be too formal.
4. I've never heard of a school where an LBD isn't appropriate for pref. At some schools it is a necessity (Texas comes to mind), at others, a colored dress is perfectly fine.
I think I will stick to a LBD with a pop of color to be safe but myself (the pop of color).

I was thinking of checking eBay but I've always been paranoid of things like that because I tend to float between two different sizes so I never know what to do.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

you have all summer to find a dress. I'm sure you can find a cute one that's in your budget and not have to get it off ebay. Or you might even have something in your closet now that would work! Good luck shopping!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBee23 View Post
you have all summer to find a dress. I'm sure you can find a cute one that's in your budget and not have to get it off ebay. Or you might even have something in your closet now that would work! Good luck shopping!
The only dress I have in my closet that is the least bit formal (I have given away all my other formal dresses from the years) is my prom dress from last year (which, now that I look at it, is more like a cocktail dress..).

But thanks! :]
Old 06-10-2010, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

The school that I volunteer for has a no frills recruitment and the sorority women and PNM's wear cocktail dresses- short never long. I think the 2 examples from Bee Bee are perfect. BTW, I would go more classic then high school prom- that way you'll be able to wear the dress again for other sorority functions.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
The school that I volunteer for has a no frills recruitment and the sorority women and PNM's wear cocktail dresses- short never long. I think the 2 examples from Bee Bee are perfect. BTW, I would go more classic then high school prom- that way you'll be able to wear the dress again for other sorority functions.
I'm leaning toward a cute classically cut dress from Nordstrom. :]

Thank you for your advice.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref night at my school is usually a cocktail dress.

Mine was like this: http://www.camillelavie.com/c-produc...g&gid=15&cid=1

...I just had a different color.

I would recommend you buy something simple and nothing too short for taste.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittens View Post
Pref night at my school is usually a cocktail dress.

Mine was like this: http://www.camillelavie.com/c-produc...g&gid=15&cid=1

...I just had a different color.

I would recommend you buy something simple and nothing too short for taste.
That is so gorgeous! It looks similar to the one I am leaning towards. :]
Old 06-10-2010, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Mine was a sundress but our recruitment was low on frills and that was the only day that that level of dressiness was expected.