GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,140
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zolivilittlez29
» Online Users: 1,283
2 members and 1,281 guests
JayhawkAOII, John

Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
If she is going to a school where if your greatest shot at joining an NPC as a first semester freshman, but you can't join an NPHC until you're a sophomore, I personally don't see anything wrong with maximizing the odds. Do NPC and NPHC women really compare notes like that? Will an NPHC woman have memory of NPC rush *the year before?*

In any case, there's nothing wrong with gathering recs now and changing her mind later, right? Wouldn't that be the wise thing to do - have your bases covered?
Thank you Senusret. That is my goal in all of this, to be prepared. I would rather have the recs than not and be put at a disadvantage.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If she is going to a school where if your greatest shot at joining an NPC as a first semester freshman, but you can't join an NPHC until you're a sophomore, I personally don't see anything wrong with maximizing the odds. Do NPC and NPHC women really compare notes like that? Will an NPHC woman have memory of NPC rush *the year before?*

In any case, there's nothing wrong with gathering recs now and changing her mind later, right? Wouldn't that be the wise thing to do - have your bases covered?

ETA: Unless you were suggesting that she can't be a *member* of both or shouldn't actually begin pledging an NPC until she's made her mind up, which I agree with.
Maybe not "compare notes", but if afwilliams is attending a PWI with a small AfAm student population, nothing needs to be said because it will get noticed and word will spread that way.

If afwilliams has an unsuccessful NPC recruitment then tries NPHC I'm almost certain she will not be looked on favorably by the NPHC sororities. Why? Because those women in the NPHC sororities will interpret that as us being her "sloppy seconds". This may not happen, but it also very well could.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwilliams View Post
The reason I added that part is because I read in a thread on here that sometimes things like being a legacy and talking about loving a certain chapter can hurt a PNMs chances, I just didn't know if it crossed into the same "category" if that makes sense.
The rec forms for most if not all NPCs includes a section about a PNM's legacy status to any NPC group, so that information becomes common knowledge. How many recs you get to each chapter is not common knowledge.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Maybe not "compare notes", but if afwilliams is attending a PWI with a small AfAm student population, nothing needs to be said because it will get noticed and word will spread that way.

If afwilliams has an unsuccessful NPC recruitment then tries NPHC I'm almost certain she will not be looked on favorably by the NPHC sororities. Why? Because those women in the NPHC sororities will interpret that as us being her "sloppy seconds". This may not happen, but it also very well could.
Yes, it could go either way. My experience with college students doesn't suggest that being a likelihood, but everyone's mileage will vary.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Do NPC and NPHC women really compare notes like that? Will an NPHC woman have memory of NPC rush *the year before?*
At some schools, yes.

Quote:
ETA: Unless you were suggesting that she can't be a *member* of both or shouldn't actually begin pledging an NPC until she's made her mind up, which I agree with.
I also agree.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Do NPC and NPHC women really compare notes like that? Will an NPHC woman have memory of NPC rush *the year before?*
SERIOUSLY? You think that if pledging an NPC doesn't work out that the campus NPHC organizations might not know? and even more, won't CARE that she tried to join an NPC organization first & came to them only after her attempt to join an NPC group failed?

Really don't see that happening....
Old 05-17-2012, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
SERIOUSLY? You think that if pledging an NPC doesn't work out that the campus NPHC organizations might not know? and even more, won't CARE that she tried to join an NPC organization first & came to them only after her attempt to join an NPC group failed?

Really don't see that happening....

There are a lot of possibilities in addition to the one you posit, including the young lady going through recruitment and deciding it's not for her, or getting a bid and turning it down, or getting all of her recs but deciding not to even start NPC rush.

Lots of things could happen and I'm not disagreeing that having an unsuccessful NPC rush and THEN attempting to join an NPHC would be problematic. But I am saying it's not the only outcome.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There are a lot of possibilities in addition to the one you posit, including the young lady going through recruitment and deciding it's not for her, or getting a bid and turning it down, or getting all of her recs but deciding not to even start NPC rush.

Lots of things could happen and I'm not disagreeing that having an unsuccessful NPC rush and THEN attempting to join an NPHC would be problematic. But I am saying it's not the only outcome.
No, it usually goes like this (I've noticed):

Unsuccessful NPC recruitment OR unsuccessful NPHC intake ==> try to join a MCGLO ==> try to join a local ==> "I think I need to start my own sorority because none at my school are for me."
Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it can also go like that.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a little clarification, I am preparing for both NPC and NPHC. I have not ultimately decided where I would like to become a member at just yet. I have weighed the pros and cons of both and understand that I cannot be a member in both. I also know that it is a serious decision because of the lifetime commitment and it shouldn't be taken lightly.

I am getting recs for NPC so that if I decide to go that route I won't be scrambling at the last minute. I have even started to make a list off sorority women from NPHC that I can go to when that time comes for letters of recommendation.

Although I truly want to be a part of sorority life, I would not consider one or the other a "back-up". I feel that I could be happy in either group. I am just asking the question about NPC recs because that is the first event that will come up if I decide to go that route.

I know that I still have a lot of thinking to do, I just want to have all my bases covered no matter which way I go
Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwilliams View Post
Just a little clarification, I am preparing for both NPC and NPHC. I have not ultimately decided where I would like to become a member at just yet. I have weighed the pros and cons of both and understand that I cannot be a member in both. I also know that it is a serious decision because of the lifetime commitment and it shouldn't be taken lightly.

I am getting recs for NPC so that if I decide to go that route I won't be scrambling at the last minute. I have even started to make a list off sorority women from NPHC that I can go to when that time comes for letters of recommendation.

Although I truly want to be a part of sorority life, I would not consider one or the other a "back-up". I feel that I could be happy in either group. I am just asking the question about NPC recs because that is the first event that will come up if I decide to go that route.

I know that I still have a lot of thinking to do, I just want to have all my bases covered no matter which way I go
I think the way you are going about this is to cover all of your basis, and for most things that is exactly what you would do. But, in this case it does not exactly work like that. From an NPHC perspective, it is understood that one selects the sorority because the aspirant has thoroughly researched the org, and she can see herself as a benefit to the aims of the org.

Personally, it sounds to me as if you should do more research into the various orgs that you are interested in so that you can be more prepared for the recruitment process. In any process one of the first questions you will be asked is "Why do you want to join?" You should have a well thought out answer, and not just "because I want to join a sorority" - that makes you look as if you are only in it for the letters.

Understand that I am not criticizing what you are doing. I just think you need to do more research so that this fall you will be fully prepared to go through the sorority recruitment process of your choice.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think the way you are going about this is to cover all of your basis, and for most things that is exactly what you would do. But, in this case it does not exactly work like that. From an NPHC perspective, it is understood that one selects the sorority because the aspirant has thoroughly researched the org, and she can see herself as a benefit to the aims of the org.

Personally, it sounds to me as if you should do more research into the various orgs that you are interested in so that you can be more prepared for the recruitment process. In any process one of the first questions you will be asked is "Why do you want to join?" You should have a well thought out answer, and not just "because I want to join a sorority" - that makes you look as if you are only in it for the letters.

Understand that I am not criticizing what you are doing. I just think you need to do more research so that this fall you will be fully prepared to go through the sorority recruitment process of your choice.
I completely get where you're coming from, and that you for explaining in such a "non-bratty" way I see how what I'm doing could possibly be seen as just being in it for the letters, that is definitely not my intent. Thank you very much for the info
Old 05-17-2012, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I completely get where you're coming from, and that you for explaining in such a "non-bratty" way I see how what I'm doing could possibly be seen as just being in it for the letters, that is definitely not my intent. Thank you very much for the info
Old 05-17-2012, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

You're welcome. Good luck in your pursuit. I hope you find the org that is best for you!