GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,105
2 members and 1,103 guests
PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 09-29-2002, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

bridesmaids gone wild!

No, not a video. Just a fun time Friday I thought I would share:

That was the name of an outing planned by some of my coworkers and I last Friday. We all donned formal dresses, bridesmaid dresses and old prom dresses - there were about 8 of us all ranging in age from 22 (me) to early 30s - and we went to a nice restaurant in the Chicago burbs. We got stared at in a good way, told our dresses were really nice by high schoolers and were carded for alcohol since its also homecoming season. Bottom line it was just a lot of fun to wear dresses out for the heck of it. And since I miss formals, it was nice to get decked out.

So, now I am recruiting my friends at home in St. Louis to do the same next month.

And at work we are talking about doing it again, this time going somewhere non-chalant like Old Country Buffet or Chilis in our dresses.

Who says you only have to wear a bridesmaid dress once!

Anyone else ever done this before?
Old 09-29-2002, 09:26 PM

That is very funny!

There is also a woman who had a gold bridesmaid's dress.
She decided that since she could not wear it anywhere, that she would wear it EVERYWHERE.
She even wrote a book about it!

The book is
Always a Bridesmaid : 89 Ways to Recycle That Bridesmaid Dress

By Rebecca Whitlinger
The author, Rebecca Whitlinger, writes, "If you can't wear it anywhere, wear it everywhere! If these pictorial adventures help just one person go to her closet and give a forgotten, unloved garment the light of day, then my job is done! I live for the moment when while grocery shopping or performing some other mundane task, I see a woman clad in a long gown complete with butt bow and bustle. You go, girl!
Old 09-29-2002, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

That's awesome!! I haven't done that since I was in college. My best friend & I used to dress up in prom dresses and go to Hardee's or parties. It was totally fun. I'd do it again!

On the same note, one of my Alpha Phi sisters was just telling us about how she once ran into a friend at a movie theater, and her friend was wearing a prom dress (and she wasn't with anyone else who was wearing a dress as well). The friend said that she was "conducting a sociological experiment" and discovered that it made people seem uncomfortable to see someone in a prom dress at the movies. She even ended up writing a paper about it for something. I thought that was so cool.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

That book would be SO cute to give to your bridesmaids along with the "traditional" bridesmaids' gifts!
Old 09-30-2002, 10:02 PM

Thumbs up

As a collegiate we'd always try to get a big group to go to Chuck E Cheese for dinner before our Preference semi formal. Actives in black gowns. Pledges in white. Unfortunately the guys always declined. Guess they're to concerned about their reputations.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread totally reminds me of last year!!! In south texas at my first university we had what was called the "Cactus Bowl" (same as any other BOWL games.. just on a teeny tiney level)

Some girls that I worked with decided we wanted to be the Cactus Bowl Royalty court, so we went to the tailgate parites *AND* football game decked out in dresses from past formals, and made sashes that said "Cactus Bowl Princess/Duchess/Queen" etc.

We even all bought tiaras and wore them to the game as well. It was soooooooo cute & fun!

All of us rode on the back of a pickup truck to the tailgate party waving to "the masses" and people seemed really confused about it because they weren't expecting "royalty" for the CACTUS BOWL But they all waved back and took pics with us after we got to the game, so it turned out to be pretty cool

We ended up in the community newspapers, radio stations, and came out on FOX SPORTS too! We had an awesome time!