GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,127
1 members and 1,126 guests
No Members online

Old 06-05-2017, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Panhellenic Council responds to new Greek reforms:

http://onwardstate.com/2017/06/05/pa...k-life-reform/
I have seen letters and media appearances regarding this by the NIC. Has anyone seen or is aware of any formal response from NPC? These young ladies need support as their pleas are clearly being ignored by the administration.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
Penn State has to save face and make amends to this family somehow, and the easiest way to do so is to sacrifice the freedoms of their Greek system. And frankly, I can't imagine any national organization standing in the way of whatever they choose to do because that will just make them appear insensitive to the Piazzas' situation.
I don't think it's right to sanction all the other orgs that had zero to do with this. It looks like Beta Theta Pi has a history of being a problem at Penn State. They are now gone permanently. Brothers are facing legal consequences for this and Beta Theta Pi is getting sued for this as well. I think what needed to be done is being done.

As tragic as the case is, punishing every person involved in the Greek system of an entire school won't bring their son back.

p a w e a since 1899

Last edited by JonInKC; 06-10-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
I don't think it's right to sanction all the other orgs that had zero to do with this. It looks like Beta Theta Pi has a history of being a problem at Penn State. They are now gone permanently. Brothers are facing legal consequences for this and Beta Theta Pi is getting sued for this as well. I think what needed to be done is being done.

As tragic as the case is, punishing every person involved in the Greek system of an entire school won't bring their son back.

Yes. I also think shadokat is right in that the university might be now thinking that they need to ensure that this doesn't happen with any *other* GLO again.

True and Constant
Old 06-11-2017, 10:16 PM

It doesn't help that there is buzz regarding a Jerry Sandusky movie coming out.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Gross.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This HBO movie has been in the works for five years now. However, they just announced last week that Al Pacino will play Paterno, which upped the buzz about it.

@~/~~~~
Old 06-12-2017, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
President Barron didn't think Beta was a problem. His words "The Beta fraternity was viewed as a model fraternity and reflected a national perspective on many best practices. The house, privately-owned and situated like all other fraternity houses on private property, was beautiful, the subject of a multi-million dollar renovation. Both the Beta alumni and the national organization provided strict rules of behavior. The brothers had a ‘no alcohol’ policy, which stated that anyone caught drinking would be expelled from the fraternity. There was live-in oversight as contracted through an external agreement with the national organization. The owner of the house wired it for video surveillance. There were no outward signs of large parties, which are frequently the bane of community members. All indicators suggested a “model” fraternity."

Penn State, like it or not, has to do something big for this PR nightmare to die down. And all of the Greek organizations at Penn State are there at the invitation of Penn State. Sort of like when your dad says "You wanna live in my house, you live by my rules." Penn State is saying if you want to be a part of this campus, we're happy to have you, but you're living by our rules. I don't think it's right or wrong...it just IS! When you haven't had a handle on what the organizations have been doing for as long as Penn State has, drastic measures may be needed.

Also, I don't think we have any right to tell the Piazzas that something will or won't bring their son back. I think they already live that reality every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post

Old 06-12-2017, 01:42 PM

Also, if you want to follow today's hearing, where they are viewing the video of that evening, you can do so by following @crawriter on Twitter or go to pennlive.com. Be warned, it's brutal.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

They have formed their new task force which, interestingly, does not include any women who would have knowledge of NPC's position. In two years, there will be no freshmen permitted. This will be the end for many fraternities there.

http://onwardstate.com/2017/06/11/pr...-team-members/
Old 06-12-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
In two years, there will be no freshmen permitted. This will be the end for many fraternities there.

http://onwardstate.com/2017/06/11/pr...-team-members/
Why would deferred rush end a fraternity? That sounds like my school's extremely dingy Greek advisor who moved sorority rush to first semester freshman year "so we can get them before they know any better."

The class distribution will be screwed up for a couple years but then it will even back out. If it's a live in issue, rent a couple rooms to independents. Seriously, it's not the end of the world.

There are so many freshmen from so many small towns who go to Penn State and get in over their heads, even without the Greek system. They're going from their home where everyone knew their name and cared about their welfare to a place full of temptations where no one really cares if they sink or swim. Personally, I don't think it's a fraternity or a sorority's job to play babysitter, tour guide and tutor all rolled into one. It's to provide brotherhood and sisterhood. If deferred rush takes that weight off the Greek system's shoulders, I honestly can't see where it's a bad thing.

But let's be real - this "sophomores and up only" will last maybe 2-3 years before the exceptionally swift administration realizes that freshmen are joining Trilogy, ESA and its male equivalents that will spring up, and partying just as hard and as stupid without national oversight.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

The problem with the shift is the ability to float financially. Housing contracts are typically committed in October of Freshman year for off campus housing Sophomore year. If rushing is deferred to Sophomore year, housing would potentially have to be made up of Juniors. There would be a required transition for members to transition to this new mind set. The incumbent sophomores would have to stay in the house for 2 years to let the system catch up. If this does not happen, and the house does not have time to recruit heavy for a sophomore class, the numbers won't work for a house to financially make it.

As for sororities, the same applies. Typically at least 90% pledge freshman year and live in sophomore year, moving off campus Jr year. If they can't pledge until Sophomore year, they won't be able to live in until Jr year. It creates a housing crisis for a few years which may make or break some chapters. Housing off campus is much more affordable. If they live off campus sophomore year and enjoy thousands of dollars reduction, it will be hard for parents to justify them moving back "on campus" to pay more into the sorority suites.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post
The problem with the shift is the ability to float financially. Housing contracts are typically committed in October of Freshman year for off campus housing Sophomore year. If rushing is deferred to Sophomore year, housing would potentially have to be made up of Juniors. There would be a required transition for members to transition to this new mind set. The incumbent sophomores would have to stay in the house for 2 years to let the system catch up. If this does not happen, and the house does not have time to recruit heavy for a sophomore class, the numbers won't work for a house to financially make it.

As for sororities, the same applies. Typically at least 90% pledge freshman year and live in sophomore year, moving off campus Jr year. If they can't pledge until Sophomore year, they won't be able to live in until Jr year. It creates a housing crisis for a few years which may make or break some chapters. Housing off campus is much more affordable. If they live off campus sophomore year and enjoy thousands of dollars reduction, it will be hard for parents to justify them moving back "on campus" to pay more into the sorority suites.
I would be way more worried about the fraternities than the sororities (if there's any reason to worry at all). The NPC's recruitment style (with quota/total) should ensure each has enough members to live in, and their housing (in university-owned suites) eliminates many financial/ownership complications. In addition, if for some reason a sorority had to move out of a suite, I don't think that would have as much of an impact on them recruiting as it would being at an SEC school, for example, and being the one chapter without a stand-alone house.

As for the fraternities, this change isn't happening overnight. They have two years to prepare for this and change their live-in policies. If fraternity members really want their chapters to survive, they'll adapt and adjust. And everyone will be in the same boat, so there's no unfair advantage here. The chapters that suffer will be the ones who refuse to change.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 06-12-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Tau Kappa Epsilon closes its house for the 2017-2018 school year:

http://onwardstate.com/2017/06/13/ta...8-school-year/

@~/~~~~
Old 06-13-2017, 12:35 PM

I know I will get shit for this, but I think this isn't an awful idea. I love that the alumni corporation cares enough to stay involved and show the men of their fraternity the correct way to move forward.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
I know I will get shit for this, but I think this isn't an awful idea. I love that the alumni corporation cares enough to stay involved and show the men of their fraternity the correct way to move forward.
Oh, I think it's a great idea, and it shows their commitment to making a move in a positive direction.

@~/~~~~