GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 1,198
0 members and 1,198 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 2: House Tours/Philanthropy Day

Libby was very lucky and got her top 10 houses back for Round 2. This was the round that the Google Doc stopped after she added her first 3 Round 2 houses. She just called or texted every night after she got her phone back. She was too tired to write her thoughts, so everything from this point forward will be what I was able to piece together from our conversations.

Miramar Beach: Libby was very excited to go back to Miramar. They had been a favorite after the event she attended in the spring, and she started recruitment with the idea that Miramar just might be her home. However, this round was just “weird”. She felt very uncomfortable with both of her rushers. She felt like they were not interested in her, and she realized she was not interested in the girls who rushed her. She didn’t think that these rushers were very interested in their philanthropy at all, which Libby found disturbing. Plus, one of the rushers had on a dress that Libby felt was “horrifyingly short” – and Libby and I had several disagreements over dress lengths while shopping. She worried about fitting in here, and does not want to come back. Funny how preconceived notions about where a PNM thinks they will end up can change.

Grayton Beach: Libby LOVED THIS HOUSE. Seeing them again just solidified her feelings about them. She loved their philanthropy and it was something that she would love to get involved with. She cannot wait to go back and believed that the Graytons could possibly be “her people”. Great connections, great conversations. Amazing house! Praying for an invite to Round 3.

Rosemary Beach: Libby changed her opinion of Rosemary Beach today. She really enjoyed visiting them this round and completely clicked with the girl who rushed her. Again the girls are beautiful, kind, and genuine. She felt very welcome, but she can’t tell if she really likes them, or if she wants to like them due to family connections here. She is conflicted, but it is not due to the way she was treated at Rosemary Beach. The girls were wonderful. This is a personal issue for her.

Perdido Key: Libby thought these ladies were “very, very organized”. She felt like she could be very successful here. The Perdido Keys were very sweet and genuine toward her and she appreciated their emphasis on academics. Libby’s major is unique and difficult, and she would be very supported in Perdido Key. However, something is off and she is unsure if she really fits in at Perdido Key. She really liked them, though, and hopes to see them on her Round 3 schedule.

Blue Mountain Beach: Blue Mountain Beach is so “cute and energetic”. Libby feels welcome here and met another officer today. Again, she clicked with the girls who rushed her. She could be very happy in this house and thought that she would fit in well.

Ft. Walton Beach: After a great experience with Ft. Walton yesterday, Libby was excited to go back. This round, Ft. Walton was “nice”, but just not a perfect fit for Libby. She has several friends who love this house, but she does not get the “warm, fuzzy” feelings that some of her friends do. She likes them, but is on the fence about whether or not she wants to return.

Santa Rosa Beach: WOW! Again, Santa Rosa is fun, friendly, beautiful, energetic, and amazing. She “totally loved” the girls she met today, and feels very comfortable in this house. Libby can see herself in this house too! Santa Rosa is creeping its way to the top of her list, and she really hoped to be invited back to Round 3. Decisions tonight will be difficult for her.

Alys Beach: Libby loved Alys Beach yesterday, and they continued to impress her today. She was not as comfortable with her rushers, however, and felt slightly out of place. But, she likes their house and philanthropy. She thinks that maybe she needs to meet more of the sisters here to get a true feel for Alys Beach. She wants to come back for Round 3.

Seagrove Beach: Libby felt really comfortable at Seagrove Beach and really liked the girls she talked to today. They are a “really kind and genuine” group of girls. She met an officer at this house today too, and can possibly see herself being really happy here. Seagrove is great, and she would like to return for Round 3.

Seaside: “OMG. I TOTALLY LOVE SEASIDE!” Seaside is everything Libby wants in a house. She loves the girls, loves the house, and thinks their philanthropy is kind of cool. Seaside is where it is at, and like Grayton Beach, these ladies could “be her people”! They are tied with Grayton Beach for first place. Libby noted that Seaside and Grayton are different from each other personality wise, which confuses her some, but she doesn’t care. She loves Seaside and wants everyone to know it. Libby is praying to the Gods above that she sees Seaside on her schedule tomorrow.

When she ranked for Round 3, she struggled to decide which house to rank in her bottom 3. There are two houses, Rosemary Beach, and Alys Beach, that she was just not sure about. She thought for a while, and ranked (again, in no particular order):

1. Grayton Beach
1. Seaside
1. Perdido Key
1. Seagrove Beach
1. Blue Mountain Beach
1. Santa Rosa
1. Alys Beach

2. Rosemary Beach
2. Ft. Walton Beach
2. Miramar Beach

Libby walked back to her dorm and after her Rho Gamma meeting, she called me in tears. This time, it had nothing to do with the Rho Gamma meeting, although she felt very bad for some of her friends (not all...because some were just mean!) who were cut heavily. Libby felt strongly that she had made a mistake in her rankings and wished that she had put Rosemary Beach in her top 7 instead of Alys Beach. She was sure about everyone else, except for those two houses. I tried to tell her to relax and that things would work out the way they were supposed to. She told me at that point that she hoped Alys Beach released her so that Rosemary would move back into her schedule for Skit Day.

Stay tuned for Round 3…

Last edited by jgsmc3; 09-07-2015 at 01:14 PM. Reason: changed numbers on ranking bc MS Word is ridiculous. :/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2015, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to hear more of Libby's story!
Old 09-07-2015, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a good story. I'm enjoying it.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 3: Skit Day

Today, PNMs may attend up to 7 parties. Libby was concerned after ranking last night that she had made a mistake, and was really hoping that Rosemary Beach would be back on her schedule. She was thrilled to find that Rosemary Beach was back and Alys Beach had released her, just as she had hoped! Sometimes, things just happen for reasons, and all was well in Libby’s World. She got her top 7 houses back. Libby’s sweet roommate was moving in today, and managed to text me about the 7 party schedule after Libby’s phone was confiscated. Yay Roomie!

Libby was tired, and the process was getting to her. She knew that she was lucky, and she truly liked everyone she had left on her schedule. These descriptions may sound flowery, but Libby was truly impressed with every single house she had on her schedule. Decisions were very difficult for her after skit round.

Santa Rosa Beach: Santa Rosa continues to impress and make her feel very welcome. She could see herself here and would be happy to be invited to Pref. They are a great house! Cute skit, high energy, and sweet girls. Santa Rosa is going to cause her to agonize over her Pref rankings.

Perdido Key: All week, Libby felt that something was slightly off about her feelings for Perdido Key. She liked them a lot. She appreciated their values, and knew lots of her friends really, really wanted to be a Perdido Key. It is an amazing house at OSU, and is stellar nationally. But, after skit round, she felt like she would not be as happy at Perdido Key as she would be in a couple of other houses. She just couldn’t “see herself being herself” at Perdido Key, but was very open to attending Pref there if it was meant to be. The girls in this house are wonderful and PK is a sought after house.

Rosemary Beach: Libby fell in love with Rosemary Beach today. She loved their skit, the girls, and how comfortable she felt in the house. She did not want to leave at the end of skit round, and felt the connection that she had wanted to feel all week long. Libby knew at this point that she genuinely liked them, and not just because of the family connection. The family connection just made it slightly more special for her! She felt like one of the girls who she talked to today could possibly be her big. It would be a wonderful place for her, and she definitely wanted to return to Pref at Rosemary. What a difference a day makes!

Blue Mountain Beach: Libby loves this house too, and can see herself being happy here if this is where she is meant to be. The girls are genuine and fun, and she always enjoys herself when she is at Blue Mountain!

Seaside: Oh, Seaside. Seaside continued to draw Libby in, and she loved them even more after skit round. Their skit and the girl she talked to reminded her of her biological big sister back home. The skit was amazing, the girls were funny and fabulous, and she can be herself at Seaside. She can totally see herself in this house. She is praying for a pref invite to Seaside!

Seagrove Beach: The Seagrove ladies are just so nice. They are a very sweet chapter with lots to offer. She feels comfortable here and has enjoyed visiting with every single girl she has met. However, they are not Seaside or Rosemary Beach in her heart. But, she knows she could be very happy here! She has several friends who adore Seagrove, and she thinks they would have a great time if they all pledged together.

Grayton Beach: YAY GRAYTON BEACH AGAIN! As usual, she had a great time at Grayton Beach. She can be herself at this house, too! The girls are funny and nice and she can easily see herself at Grayton Beach. She is comfortable here and really hopes for an invite to Pref!

Ranking was really difficult for Libby. She took “forever” to make up her mind, because she was very conflicted. Each house had impressed her, and with the exception of Perdido Key, she could see herself being very happy in any of these chapters. There were three houses, though, that really stood out after she thought about it. PNMs could attend 3 houses for Preference Parties. Libby ranked:

1. Rosemary Beach
1. Seaside
1. Grayton Beach

2. Santa Rosa Beach
2. Blue Mountain Beach
2. Seagrove Beach
2. Perdido Key

Coming up…Pref Round

ETA: Libby called me after rankings and was very happy and excited about her upcoming Pref Day. She was going to dinner with her Rho Gamma group, and did not want to discuss another thing about recruitment. Then, even after I complied with her request, she sent me the helicopter emoji from her iPhone. She no longer needed my advice, or cared what I thought (which I all did was listen to her in the first place!). I am now a relieved and much less stressed out Mama.

Last edited by jgsmc3; 09-07-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 PM

LOVING this story (and wishing I was at the beach reading it ).
Old 09-07-2015, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
LOVING this story (and wishing I was at the beach reading it ).
ME TOO! We didn't get to go to 30A this year, so I just play the video clips that the 30A people put on Facebook and pretend I am there!
Old 09-07-2015, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Preference Round

I was en route to Stillwater for Bid Day, when I got a text from Roomie. Libby wanted her to let me know that she had gotten:

Seaside,
Rosemary Beach,
and Grayton Beach

back for her Preference Parties! Again, Libby had gotten her top three choices. I was thrilled for her. She managed to send me a selfie of her in her pref dress, and I was surprised at the color she chose, but decided not to be a helicopter mom. The color she was wearing was clearly the color of one of the chapters she was preffing. We had discussed remaining neutral! Yikes! Maybe she planned to change dresses between parties?

Her parties were scattered throughout the day, and I arrived and checked into my hotel. I was not allowed to see her or communicate with her, which was fine with me because she was happy and had everything under control. I spent the afternoon shopping around in Stillwater and enjoying a yummy coffee at Aspen Coffee. 

Before I give anything away, here is a brief account of pref day for Libby (the houses are NOT listed in any particular order, and I have deleted many details that would give the chapter and Libby’s identity away…sorry!):

Rosemary Beach: She loved them. She cried at Pref. She felt wanted, and she adored the girls who preffed her. She felt like this was home! She was so torn at this point, because she dearly loves/loved the women in our family (one of whom has passed away) who were Rosemary Beaches. This chapter is amazing, and she simply doesn’t know what to do. She doesn’t want to disappoint ANYONE, especially the precious girls in this chapter.

Grayton Beach: She loved them, but she didn’t cry at Pref. She didn’t really feel anything, which was shocking to her because she had loved them all week long. Suddenly, she knew that Grayton Beach was not home for her, which made her sad because they were a solid favorite all week long. She knew that she would still be friends with the girls in this house, even if they weren’t her sisters.

Seaside: She didn’t cry at Seaside’s pref either. She laughed and had a blast talking to a girl she had talked to earlier in the week. She felt wanted and accepted. Pref was meaningful and fun. She saw and felt the close sisterhood in this house when the seniors spoke. They embraced her quirky sense of humor. She could be herself with no worries here. Seaside was HOME.

Around 8 pm that night, Libby sent everyone in our family (including helicopter emoji mom) a text that said:
Everyone wear _____________________. I am going to be a Seaside!

Honestly, we were all a little shocked. Rosemary had captured her heart, too. But, she told me later knew that she would still be friends with those girls no matter where she ended up and that Rosemary would ALWAYS hold a special place in her heart. They are simply an amazing group of women, just like Grayton Beach.

She was sure of her choice and happy with her decision. She had no problem ranking. She knew where her home was. I was happy that she was happy.

On Bid Day morning, bids were supposed to be distributed at 10 am. The girls were told to stay in their rooms and the Rho Gammas would come around, bang on their door, and hand them their bid and bid day t-shirt.

Sidenote: GOOD for you OSU Panhellenic for handling bids this way! This gave the young ladies who may have not gotten their first choice a chance to absorb things privately! If there were any issues, girls could deal with it one on one with their Rho Gamma and in the privacy of their room. Other Panhellenics should take a look at this method of bid distribution, even if it means breaking tradition!

The girls were to wear their Panhellenic shirts over their Bid Day Shirts, so reveal would still be exciting and fun!

Around 9:30 am, Libby texted all of us a selfie, ecstatically wearing a Bid Day shirt from…….

SEASIDE

Also known as KAPPA DELTA.

Libby is a very, very happy Nu member of the Nu chapter of Kappa Delta. And we share a letter in common!
Old 09-07-2015, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to Libby! My daughter's campus also handles bid day this way...the new members report to their group's meeting location in the evening, after having their bids delivered in the late afternoon.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Libby and I are now chapter sisters, so congratulations to her and to Kappa Delta! (and you and me, too!) The girls of Nu have always been real, funny and active on campus, and the house is really a beautiful, comfortable and wonderful place to call home. I fell in love with them a long time ago, and it is great to see the tradition continue. I am so glad she found her home in Kappa Delta.

I recognized Perdito for sure, but times have changed, and didn't recognize any of the others, from her descriptions, lol! I suspected KD was either Graydon or Seaside, simply because they both had great skits, and I know from friends who attended dress rehearsal that we had a good skit, but wasn't even sure about that.

Welcome to the world of green and white!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

jgsmc3.....You are an EXCEPTIONAL mom!!!! What a wonderful daughter you raised!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Libby and I are now chapter sisters, so congratulations to her and to Kappa Delta! (and you and me, too!) The girls of Nu have always been real, funny and active on campus, and the house is really a beautiful, comfortable and wonderful place to call home. I fell in love with them a long time ago, and it is great to see the tradition continue. I am so glad she found her home in Kappa Delta.

I recognized Perdito for sure, but times have changed, and didn't recognize any of the others, from her descriptions, lol! I suspected KD was either Graydon or Seaside, simply because they both had great skits, and I know from friends who attended dress rehearsal that we had a good skit, but wasn't even sure about that.

Welcome to the world of green and white!
Thank you Katmandu! Libby couldn't be any happier! I attended Bid Day and was completely impressed by the women in this chapter and how welcoming and kind they are! 🍀🍀💚💚
Old 09-07-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsmc3

On Bid Day morning, bids were supposed to be distributed at 10 am. The girls were told to stay in their rooms and the Rho Gammas would come around, bang on their door, and hand them their bid and bid day t-shirt.

Sidenote: GOOD for you OSU Panhellenic for handling bids this way! This gave the young ladies who may have not gotten their first choice a chance to absorb things privately! If there were any issues, girls could deal with it one on one with their Rho Gamma and in the privacy of their room. Other Panhellenics should take a look at this method of bid distribution, even if it means breaking tradition!
Amen, amen, and AMEN!!

Welcome Libby to the Farmville Four!!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to Kappa Delta. Indeed, she caught the feel of Nu Chapter of Kappa Delta.
Such a great group of women and so many of them stay very involved in Kappa Delta their entire life. They are a very special chapter and it was easy to pick them out as I read your thread.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

It is wonderful to hear a recruitment story that ended in my own chapter!
Old 09-07-2015, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to your daughter. One of my friends was a KD at OSU. Such a strong chapter!
Closed Thread