GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,973
0 members and 1,973 guests
No Members online

Old 03-21-2006, 07:18 PM

alcohol help

I am an advisor for my sorority - and we are currently trying to put together some sort of module that includes showing the real consequences against the house when drinking is involved - for example, probation, charter revoked, etc. The girls see threats as empty ones I think. Does anyone have any stories or any experience with losing their house due to drinking violations, parties, etc.?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Folks, I would be real careful about replying to this person who may not be representing herself truthfully.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Folks, I would be real careful about replying to this person who may not be representing herself truthfully.
Why? It's public record. I know you guys like to go all CIA and all that, but these aren't secrets.

This entire forum is filled with people that drank and lost their houses and chapters.

-Rudey
Old 03-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

I tend to agree with Rudey here. I see nothing that potentially violates the TOS or any rule of this forum. I only ask that if anyone plans to post, they fully think through the consequences of what they post.

For now, I'll keep an eye on the thread, and if things get out of hand, I'll take some action. I'd like to thank those who have brought this thread to my attention.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-21-2006, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
I tend to agree with Rudey here. I see nothing that potentially violates the TOS or any rule of this forum. I only ask that if anyone plans to post, they fully think through the consequences of what they post.

For now, I'll keep an eye on the thread, and if things get out of hand, I'll take some action. I'd like to thank those who have brought this thread to my attention.
I don't think carnation was referring to this as violating TOS.

If she really is an advisor, this information is readily available from her headquarters. Plus, it would be examples of what her OWN org does. It doesn't matter what other groups do, it only matters what her own group does to chapters who violate these rules.

Smells like someone looking for a story...........
Old 03-21-2006, 09:58 PM

Wow - that was actually really harsh. I wasn't looking for names, locations, etc. I was looking for stories from people who may have been through this. I know as an advisor i can get information from our International Headquarters - I know I can search newspapers. I just thought it would be interesting to add in first hand responses for the girls to hear.

When I was an active I ACTUALLY used this site when I was President, VP etc to help others and get advice. I guess the greek community has changed a lot over the past years.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

The thing is, Rose, if it was publicized in the newspaper, then it's probably listed somewhere in this forum. If it wasn't, then people from that GLO probably aren't going to advertise that it was the reason for the chapter closing. It's not something that anybody is proud of and it's not something they are likely to post publicly unless it is already common knowledge. Even when it is common knowledge because of media coverage, there are frequently legal actions taking place. It is to the detriment of the organization to post any information if there are legal proceedings related to the incidents because it could be used as evidence. Your best bet is to read this forum carefully. You'll find plenty of examples.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

As far as this thread goes, I see no possible problem if people post things which they know aren't knowingly false. Like you said, there are plenty of stories in newspapers about these things. With all due respect, it seems unreasonable to me to believe that someone would work this hard to not only find an old and dead story (by news standards), but would be doing this with malicious intent.

That said, I think this can be constructive. This is the kind of subject that this forum exists for. Trying to keep your brother/sister from self destructing due to their addiction is certainly not limited to GLO's.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-22-2006, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: alcohol help

Quote:
Originally posted by Rose866
I am an advisor for my sorority - and we are currently trying to put together some sort of module that includes showing the real consequences against the house when drinking is involved - for example, probation, charter revoked, etc. The girls see threats as empty ones I think. Does anyone have any stories or any experience with losing their house due to drinking violations, parties, etc.?
I found this short animated video on the national website of a local sorority on my campus that might help you. Granted, it's not about college students but a bus driver. The message is still clear though, hope this helps!

http://www.ugoto.com/flash/wheels-on-the-bus.html

ETA: Don't forget to turn your speakers on for the video.

Last edited by PiKA2001; 03-22-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
Good reminder. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure if you contact someone at FIPG www.fipg.org they could share some examples with you.

Sigma Chi has some case studies they use for educational purposes here. Apparently these are based on real cases that Sigma Chi has faced in the past.

Judge Mitch Crane might be a resource as well...if he doesn't have stories, he can point you in the right direction. His website is: www.judgemitch.com .

I also second the suggestion of using your HQ or Staff as resources (if you aren't a local). They could give you specifics related to your organization. Also, check with the Greek Advisor on campus...they can access different resources for you as well.

PsychTau
Old 03-23-2006, 07:42 PM

I guess anyone can decide for him/herself whether to answer this question in a public forum, but certainly reading the first posts in many of these threads can answer the questions asked.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Sure they will. If asked. IF people will poi\st their anal sex stories and such, i am sure they will post experiences with alcohol violations.

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
The thing is, Rose, if it was publicized in the newspaper, then it's probably listed somewhere in this forum. If it wasn't, then people from that GLO probably aren't going to advertise that it was the reason for the chapter closing. It's not something that anybody is proud of and it's not something they are likely to post publicly unless it is already common knowledge. Even when it is common knowledge because of media coverage, there are frequently legal actions taking place. It is to the detriment of the organization to post any information if there are legal proceedings related to the incidents because it could be used as evidence. Your best bet is to read this forum carefully. You'll find plenty of examples.

Last edited by James; 03-24-2006 at 04:12 AM.