GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,425
0 members and 1,425 guests
No Members online

Old 08-17-2015, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I hope the PNMs' moms saved some wine for me!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Women are stressed out and sleep-deprived and isolated when signing bid cards, and ...

And yet - we preach against hazing ....
Old 08-18-2015, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
That's what the flex lists, plus and minus, are for. If a chapter has unexpectedly strong returns then the minus list is used to cut more PNMs. If a chapter has a weaker than expected return number then the plus list is used to add invitations.
Thanks, I read that part but assumed the flex list would be rather short compared to the regular invite list. Since my brain tends to go to the extremes for what if scenarios, I didn't make the connection to the flex list likely being sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Starting with this fall's 2015 formal recruitment, PNMs at Kentucky may attend up to two chapters for preference. This is down from previous years when a PNM could attend up to three preference parties.

What would be the reasoning behind this? I believe that historically, most PNMs get placed in their first choice. A much smaller number are placed with their second choice. And an even smaller number with their third choice. Does moving to two preferences “help” the PNMs and/or the chapters?

FYI: The rounds go from 13 (open house) to 10 to 6 to 2 (preference). Also, there will be a recolonization after formal recruitment.
So next year it seems like the parties would be 14, 10, 6, 2. A decrease of 4 each round, makes sense. I suspect that if a rather small number actually match to their 3rd choice it's in the chapters best interest to reduce the time and expense of having the 3rd round. Financial expense may not be that impacted but the emotional strain on the women could be relieved greatly since Pref is the "make 'em cry" round.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Thanks, I read that part but assumed the flex list would be rather short compared to the regular invite list. Since my brain tends to go to the extremes for what if scenarios, I didn't make the connection to the flex list likely being sufficient.
The flex lists that I've seen are relatively small compared to the regular invite list (in the range of 5%-10% of the regular invite list size). If something really dramatic happens, I would assume that the chapter would get a call to add names to one of the lists. That's what happened to me the first year I was a recruitment advisor - we got a call very early the morning of round 2 asking to add names to the flex minus list.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
And yet - we preach against hazing ....

That is not a lie. I wish we would send them home and have them sign bid cards on the day after pref. A little time to sleep on it might do them some good They could sign cards by noon and Panhel could do bid matching in the afternoon. Bid day could be the day after that.

It doesn't have to be this tough.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:33 PM

I think some of this started to prevent bid nights on weekends (and partying) but they either party on Sunday nights or just postpone it to the next weekend anyway. It doesn't stop anything.

If you're there before school starts anyway, I don't know what difference an extra day or two makes.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
It's been called the MRABA forever. That's the technical name for the contract the girls are signing. Most of the girls just don't ever realize what they're signing or why. But I know it was called the MRABA in 1984, so unless you're way older than that, you just didn't know that was what it was called.
Yes, I am way older than that.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

^^^ You are not!

This thread sure clarified some issues for me.