GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,186
1 members and 1,185 guests
No Members online

Old 05-08-2018, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Rushing As a SOPHOMORE?!?!? Got CUT Freshman YR.

Here's my short story... I signed up for formal sorority recruitment my freshman year. I go to a Big 10 school in the Midwest (I'm not sure if this counts as a competitive school or not). I got called back the 2nd day for parties, but on the 3rd day I got dropped by ALL 6 sororities from the day before, so I had no more parties on my list and was automatically dropped from recruitment. I was absolutely heartbroken, I have a great GPA, was involved in h.s. as well as in philanthropy, dressed up, and from my POV the conversations went good. I related to most of the girls I talked to? We talked about our favorite foods from certain cafes in the area and if we grew up in the same part of the state. And I made sure to avoid the 5 B's (Barack, Boys, Booze, Bucks, & Bible) of course.

Needless to say it was a HUGE shock to me when I got dropped by ALL of my houses on the same day. Again, I tried informal recruitment in the Spring of my freshman year with no luck and no bids.

I really want to try sorority recruitment again in the fall of my sophomore year, but am SUPER nervous, not only because of my past experiences but because I heard sophomores have a bad stigma when rushing.

Is this true? Do some chapters cut you just because of your non-freshman status? Or should I still give it a try? I REALLY DON'T understand what I'm doing wrong and others former Greek women I talk to can't seem to figure out what I did as well? I just want to find my group of sisters.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not an expert about Big 10 schools although I'm sure there are others here who can speak on the competitiveness of their greek life. As far as the exact reasons that you got cut we don't know unfortunately that's private information to the individual chapter.

When I read your post you mention you had good grades were involved in extra circulars in HS. What else have you been involved with since starting school? Also way back when, I would see some girls run into issues because they'd get involved with someone's significant other who was a member of a sorority. Also if you're that person who goes to parties and gets black out wasted that probably isn't a good look either. One other thing is to check all of your social media. And I mean ALL OF IT. If you've got stuff that's offensive posted, groups have their ways of finding these things out even if you go to a big school. Trust me the world had become much smaller because of social media. Also if you didn't do this before I'd work on getting recommendations from members of those groups at your school (it certainly can't hurt).

My best bit of advice is keep your grades up as that will be a factor should you try to go through recruitment again. I know the rejection sucks and chalk that up to life experience. My best advice look ahead polish up on those conversation skills, clean up social media, and get recs if you didn't do this before.

That's my nugget of wisdom but hopefully others with Big 10 knowledge can give you more tips that might be of assistance. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

DEpending on the school, did you have your recs? Check the list above for schools where you absolutely have to have recs. Ask the Greek Life office if they offer an upperclass quota - separate from freshman quota. Not that the chapters have to take them but at least it's an option.

Typically speaking, grade issues, reputation issues and no recs get cut after the first day. Since you made it past that, it's hard to say. May just have been a numbers game.
But I'd certainly clean up my social media, make sure you have a 3.5 or higher, and no problems from partying this past year.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterng!rl2 View Post
Here's my short story... I signed up for formal sorority recruitment my freshman year. I go to a Big 10 school in the Midwest (I'm not sure if this counts as a competitive school or not). I got called back the 2nd day for parties, but on the 3rd day I got dropped by ALL 6 sororities from the day before, so I had no more parties on my list and was automatically dropped from recruitment. I was absolutely heartbroken, I have a great GPA, was involved in h.s. as well as in philanthropy, dressed up, and from my POV the conversations went good. I related to most of the girls I talked to? We talked about our favorite foods from certain cafes in the area and if we grew up in the same part of the state. And I made sure to avoid the 5 B's (Barack, Boys, Booze, Bucks, & Bible) of course.

Needless to say it was a HUGE shock to me when I got dropped by ALL of my houses on the same day. Again, I tried informal recruitment in the Spring of my freshman year with no luck and no bids.

I really want to try sorority recruitment again in the fall of my sophomore year, but am SUPER nervous, not only because of my past experiences but because I heard sophomores have a bad stigma when rushing.

Is this true? Do some chapters cut you just because of your non-freshman status? Or should I still give it a try? I REALLY DON'T understand what I'm doing wrong and others former Greek women I talk to can't seem to figure out what I did as well? I just want to find my group of sisters.
It sounds like you think you were an ideal candidate freshman year but you were completely cut after the second round. What's changed since freshman year that will make you more attractive as a sophomore when you say sophomores have a harder time at your school?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Are you a legacy? What do you look like? What are you involved in on campus? What is your college GPA? Were these 6 sororities the top ones? Do you have friends who are members of your campus sororities?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

She has 2 threads going about essentially the same question, with different facts in each thread... it is getting messy.

PLEASE, we just need 1 thread with all of the information.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=243571
Old 05-10-2018, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
DEpending on the school, did you have your recs? Check the list above for schools where you absolutely have to have recs. Ask the Greek Life office if they offer an upperclass quota - separate from freshman quota. Not that the chapters have to take them but at least it's an option.

Typically speaking, grade issues, reputation issues and no recs get cut after the first day. Since you made it past that, it's hard to say. May just have been a numbers game.
But I'd certainly clean up my social media, make sure you have a 3.5 or higher, and no problems from partying this past year.
I have over a 3.5 GPA (in college & h.s.) as of now and didn't go to any parties my freshman year. I also don't have any social media accounts. Do you think that could be the reason I got cut was because of my absence of an online presence?

No my last houses on the list weren't all top, I had all tiers on my party list.

And no not a legacy unfortunately and don't really know that many people in sororities, just a few here and there, but we aren't super close more just acquaintances. And I've joined a few clubs during my freshman year since I wasn't able to join Greek life.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, if you didn't have recs and you don't have a social media presence, those probably didn't help. You're making them work to get info on you and that doesn't usually bode well because of the numbers game....too many PNMs and not enough time. Have you contacted the sorority women you do know about a rec? Done your networking? You need to establish a presence...
Old 05-10-2018, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

OP, you are getting many good suggestions from my Panhellenic sisters. We, none of us, know why you were totally released after second round. Asking us "why" is not fruitful. We don't know you. We weren't there.

Please do lots of reading in the recruitment forum. Line up recs. Your GPA is strong, that's a plus! I understand youtube has videos about recruitment (maybe? I dunno, seems I read that somewhere, I could be wrong) that might help you.

Otherwise, I got nothing for you, except my best wishes for good luck in your re-recruitment.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-16-2018, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

midwesterng!rl2, recruitment is very different at each of the Big 10 schools. You have gotten some excellent advice so far: network and line up your recommendations. Keep your GPA up and be involved in extracurricular activities, including philanthropy.

Unfortunately, for many Big 10 schools, if you grew up in the state the school is located in, there is a high probably your high school reputation will effect your sorority recruitment. If there is a colony on campus, that may be a better option for you. Be sure to keep an open mind and seriously consider informal recruitment as well, particularly if you already have friends in some of the groups doing informal recruitment.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Since she said that she tried informal in the spring, I am going to assume she did NOT go through at Ohio State, Northwestern or Indiana since they all have deferred recruitment. As has been written before, the Big Ten can be very different. Purdue is definitely more laid back than some of the other schools, as is Iowa. I am going out on a limb and say that Michigan and Michigan State would be the most competitive of the fall recruitmentments. If you are at one of those two schools, get recs NOW. Find a recommendation for every chapter. Spend your summer doing some volunteer work and taking every opportunity to work on your conversation skills. Best of luck to you!
Old 05-16-2018, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Well, if you didn't have recs and you don't have a social media presence, those probably didn't help. You're making them work to get info on you and that doesn't usually bode well because of the numbers game....too many PNMs and not enough time. Have you contacted the sorority women you do know about a rec? Done your networking? You need to establish a presence...
Agree. Also, if you have no online presence (and it goes without saying that it has to be done well, no party pics, etc.) then it could look like you're out of step with the times and that's not a positive. Did you socialize at all last year in places where you met members? Any options for meeting them this summer?