GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,547
2 members and 1,545 guests
MethrenLusia, Pinkmagnolia921
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearttoheart View Post
Thank you for quoting me for posterity. I feel honored. Also for suggesting I'm a helicopter mom. You're right about that one! I am as passionate about my daughters as you ladies are about Greek life. It seems we all have our obsessions.

If you ever get the chance to attend an Ole Miss bid day, I suggest you go! It is the craziest experience I have ever had! SO MANY HELECOPTER MOMS AND DADS! I love the fact that my daughter goes to a school that parents still care about their children!

I live two states away, so believe it or not, she still gets to be an adult with me on the phone offering advice when she asked for it. Lucky me because she seeks my advice daily.

It's my money paying for her tuition, room, board, vehicle, essentials, and sorority dues. I will not fully consider her a self sufficient adult until she is able to fully support herself.

One last through. Let's give olemissdad the benefit of the doubt. I believe he was referring to "target" houses and "older" chapters. Not actual spots in the Greek system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearttoheart View Post
Oh my goodness, I apologize! I didn't realize I had stepped into a conversation about parenting styles. I had no idea there are parenting experts here that are qualified to judge my relationship I have with my daughters. (who by the way is attending college 800 miles away from home and is capable of a 4.0 gpa) Perhaps I should be apologizing to my children for ruining them. Glad I could add an entertaining "hilarious" topic to your secret FB page!

I thought we were discussing recruitment at Ole Miss! My mistake! So sorry if I assumed my experience would be helpful to other Ole Miss parents as their daughters go through recruitment.

In my experience, my own sorority, a sorority that I paid dues to and supported throughout the years, did not hold their Ole Miss chapter accountable to their national by-laws. According to my sororities national policy, legacies were to be invited to at least the first two invitational rounds as a courtesy, to get to know them better. My mother, my sisters, my oldest daughter and I all belong to this sorority (which will remain nameless). They dropped my youngest daughter after the first round. You want to talk about heartbreak. Not so much my youngest daughter, who had already set her sights on another sorority, but the rest of us were shocked. When I called our national chapter to discuss, I was told "Oh, we wish we had more control over that Ole Miss chapter, they just always do their own thing." !!!!! This is just one example, I could give others, but chose not to.

Ole Miss sororities are old and enormous and set in their ways. I cannot speak for my daughters sorority, but MY sorority apparently does there own thing without regard for all these policies you ladies are so quick to point out.

SWTXBelle, your sorority does not even have a chapter at Ole Miss! You may be an expert in all things Gamma Phi Beta, you may be firmly entrenched as an alumnae adviser for your sorority, but you cannot possibly have any idea what goes on behind the scenes at Ole Miss. None of us can possibly be experts in all sororities at all campuses nationwide!

Olemissdad was speaking from his experience. I am speaking from mine. You are speaking from yours. It is poor manners to assume your advice is the only advice people want or need to hear. Collectively, we all have useful advice. None should be dismissed.

For the record, I am a 48 year old woman who still calls her mother daily! Scandalous, I know!
Oh. Wow. I can't even.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-21-2016, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Oh. Wow. I can't even.
What now? Am I dishing out bad advice? Or am I telling of my experiences? Thank you again for qfping me. I'm honored.

Are you qfping because my posts are good or bad? Did I add more hilarity to your secret Facebook page?

Do you wish to insult me because I am speaking as a parent and not as an alumnae?

I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage because I don't understand your aggression.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I see no reason to point out that SWTXBelle's sorority does not "even" have a chapter at Ole Miss. Much information is universal to many sororities. I just thought that was meant to be a mean comment.