GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,877
1 members and 1,876 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 01-05-2008, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
This is amazing; thank you all sooo much! IcelandElf-I'm printing your response and taking it with me! Is Mi Tierra appropriate for a dinner with my coworkers (mostly middle aged women)?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-05-2008, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Just be prepared - the Alamo is so much smaller than most people realize. That is not to take away at all from the sacrifice of those there - and also, it is in the big thick middle of town - which surprises some people who expect it to be like "in the movies".

I grew up in SA and only visited the Alamo once on a school trip but always saw it on the weekends from afar when I went to the club that was practically next door (Bonham-not sure if it is there anymore?). I took it for granted and now that I no longer live there I do miss it. Have fun and stay safe!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

They will have a GREAT time at Mi Tierra - the mariachis(sp?) are super!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess_pom View Post
This is amazing; thank you all sooo much! IcelandElf-I'm printing your response and taking it with me! Is Mi Tierra appropriate for a dinner with my coworkers (mostly middle aged women)?
you're welcome I'll post some more things this evening after dinner. Mi Tierra is appropriate for all ages and you can dress casually. There are many rooms so it is easy to get lost. Try to sit in the back room where there is a huge mural devoted to many famous and infamous folk who have been in San Antonio. The margaritas are wonderful and the food is brilliant. Make sure to take home some empanada and Pan de Huevo in assorted flavors (I love the chocolate and strawberry).
Old 01-05-2008, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Mud Festival is next week

just wanted to give you a heads up that the annual Mud Festival is next week. No joke, once a year the section of the river that runs through the city gets blocked off, drained and cleaned from the January 2- 9th, then filled back up. Afterward, the city holds its annual Mud Festival. I don't know exactly what dates you're visiting next week, but it's scheduled to happen January 10 - 13th. They elect a Mud King and Queen, pub crawls ensue, Mud Parade, Arts & Crafts, etc.

Other things to do--
  • Ripley's Believe It or Not/Wax Museum--right across from the Alamo. The wax museum is neat--it has historical figures, movie stars from the 1920s and forward, the downstairs has all the scary stuff.
  • Golf-the Quarry Golf Club (just a short trip up McAllister Fwy) is nice--the back 9 holes are set among a 90 acre limestone quarry. It's a difficult course and not for the faint hearted!
  • Howl At the Moon Saloon--dueling pianos, loud and merry pub!
  • Polly Esthers-dance club on College Street has three different dance floors featuring 70s, 80s, and Gen X music
  • Suede Lounge--located on Houston Street, here is where to do a little stargazing. On occasion some of the SA Spurs (including Tony Parker and Eva Longoria) come to meet and drink.
  • The Menger Bar--one of my favorite places to wind down the evening. This bar is one of the oldest bars in San Antonio. Resembling a pub, this was where Teddy Roosevelt used to recruit his rough riders