GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,653
2 members and 1,651 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig

Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Arizona Spring 2013/Fall 2013

Total at the University of Arizona has been raised to 220 (it was at 200).

There is an informational fair on Thursday January 24 2013 for Spring Recruitment. There's also a link to sign up for information on Alpha Chi Omega's ucoming colonization (Fall 2013). Details can be found here.

Not sure how many chapters will participate in Spring Recruitment, but it won't be formally structured like Fall Recruitment.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Lame question here, yet kind of obvious for the casual observer...

Why did they raise total, knowing that there chapters below it on top of bringing back Alpha Chi Omega?
Wouldn't it make more sense to keep total where it is with Alpha Chi Omega coming back on? Or is there a large gap between those at the new total and those below it?

How many are below it?

This all just seems wrong; raise total and bring on a colony. Chapters will be competing for members like never before. For those chapters that are below and those who are over, it will/could deepen the tiers at Arizona.

I heard about this at Arizona before and I just don't like it. I hope that I am wrong but Arizona has done similar stuff like this before with disastrous consequences.

The only benefit that I can see is that it will give more women an opportunity to be involved, especially those who participated in Fall recruitment with its heavy cuts.

Last edited by BAckbOwlsgIrl; 01-20-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're following RFM, you adjust total to match chapter average after every rush, which means (duh) some chapters will be above, and some will be below. Also, I think it's common for systems to increase total just before a colony comes on, to give the chapters a last opportunity to pick up girls they weren't able to take during formal. I'm not a believer in this method - if you have need for a colony it's because you don't want total to increase - but from reading GC over the years, it seems the common process.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM

If total is below the actual size of many chapters, raising it actually can help the smaller chapers. They can now bid up to a number closer to the actual size of the other chapters rather than being limited during COB to an artificially low total.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
If total is below the actual size of many chapters, raising it actually can help the smaller chapers. They can now bid up to a number closer to the actual size of the other chapters rather than being limited during COB to an artificially low total.
Exactly...say there are 5 chapters, 4 of them are over total at 225 and one is under total at 180, this gives the under total one a chance to catch up before the colony gets there. They don't usually do this unless the majority of chapters are over total to begin with.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting. There are, I believe, 2 groups that are below total but I don't know how far below. I wasn't given that information. This could mean that a lot more chapters would participate in spring recruitment especially for those chapters that were sitting right around 200.

AZ theta did you get my email?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
Interesting. There are, I believe, 2 groups that are below total but I don't know how far below. I wasn't given that information. This could mean that a lot more chapters would participate in spring recruitment especially for those chapters that were sitting right around 200.

AZ theta did you get my email?
I'll do some asking to see how many groups will participate this spring.

AXOrushadvisor - just responded, more to come!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 01-21-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

^^AZTheta someone told me today that all the Chapters but 3 would be participating in spring recruitment but I don't know how accurate that is. If that was the case there will be lots of opportunity for girls who didn't get a Chapter in the fall.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I've got a few phone calls out to get an answer, still waiting on call backs.

As for opportunity for those who didn't get a chapter in the fall: maybe, maybe not. You know as well as I do that if Patty PNM didn't get her first choice (translation: the chapter(s) she thought she deserved but didn't get invited to) then she isn't going to try again, unless she's actually seen what she's missed out on this past fall semester while living in the dorms; OR, has come to realize that the tent talk is complete BS and that truly every chapter at Uofa is amazing.