GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,267
2 members and 2,265 guests
Phrozen Sands, Sister Havana

Old 03-09-2010, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

The Eyes of Darkness - Dean Koontz
(for book club) - Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-09-2010, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

No One Would Listen, by Harry Markopolos

Harry Markopolos is the whistle-blower who uncovered Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme 10 years before the rest of the world learned of the biggest financial crime in history. While a lot has been written about Madoff’s scam, few actually know the dramatic details of how Markopolos and a small group of sleuths went about investigating the fraud that reached around the globe. In “No One Would Listen,” Markopolos shares his story. An excerpt.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteandblack View Post
The Eyes of Darkness - Dean Koontz
(for book club) - Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
i LOVE dean koontz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
No One Would Listen, by Harry Markopolos

Harry Markopolos is the whistle-blower who uncovered Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme 10 years before the rest of the world learned of the biggest financial crime in history. While a lot has been written about Madoff’s scam, few actually know the dramatic details of how Markopolos and a small group of sleuths went about investigating the fraud that reached around the globe. In “No One Would Listen,” Markopolos shares his story. An excerpt.

is this the same guy that said he contemplated killing madoff because he brought his head on a platter to the SEC but they ignored him multiple times?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
I just finished reading the new Jodi Picoult book House Rules this morning. I am a huge fan of her work and have to say I think this one was one of her best - as good as My Sister's Keeper. One of the main characters is a teenage boy with Asperger's Syndrome who becomes involved with a murder trial.
No offense to Jodi Picoult because I do like her books, but could she write a book WITHOUT a trial going on. Let's see, I'm thinking all but 1 book that I've read of hers had a trial in it.

My Sisters Keeper-trial (daughter sues parents)
19 minutes- murder trial
Plain Truth- murder trial
Salem Falls- trail (accusation of witchcraft/rape)
Handle With Care- Malpractice trail

Her last three books all deal with a court case and a trail of some kind. For me it's like "you can't think of anything else"

Pardon the divert....back to the normally scheduled thread.

As for myself: I'm reading "And the Band Played On". Not sure why I felt like reading this book. I felt like watching the HBO miniseries and I checked it out from the Library. I then discovered it was based off a book and now am reading the book. It just seems kind of odd that I grew up in an era where AIDS was on the forefront and now it's now anymore. Phoenix doesn't even do the AIDS walk anymore. It's all about Breast Cancer. Not that Breast Cancer isn't important, but I think AIDS is just as important.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by ASUADPi; 03-09-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post
CG, get out of my head! i just picked that up from the library this morning!
I'm not in your head...just in your library. I finished the book and it was good. I'll probably re-read the more applicable chapters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
No offense to Jodi Picoult because I do like her books, but could she write a book WITHOUT a trial going on.
I'm about to start "Keeping Faith" and the book cover mentions "custody battle" so I'm sure there are court trails in there. "The Pact" and "Mercy" had a trials too, now that I think about it.

ETA: I had no idea "The Pact" had been made into a movie! That was one of my fave books, I hope the movie's good!

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
I'm not in your head...just in your library. I finished the book and it was good. I'll probably re-read the more applicable chapters.

I'm about to start "Keeping Faith" and the book cover mentions "custody battle" so I'm sure there are court trails in there. "The Pact" and "Mercy" had a trials too, now that I think about it.

ETA: I had no idea "The Pact" had been made into a movie! That was one of my fave books, I hope the movie's good!
It's a lifetime movie. Megan Mullaly was in it. It was okay. Incredibly slow moving. I don't recall if I was able to finish watching it or not.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt