GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,189
0 members and 1,189 guests
No Members online

Old 10-02-2021, 12:08 PM

NY Times: After Rape Accusations, Fraternities Face Protests and Growing Anger

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/01/e...l-assault.html

"At big universities with powerful fraternity cultures — like UMass, Northwestern, Nebraska and Iowa — many students are demanding an end to Greek life."

"These protests [at Nebraska, Northwestern, and UMass-Amherst] were just part of a series of similar demonstrations against fraternities that have occurred this fall — not at small liberal arts colleges, but at big universities with powerful fraternity cultures, like Syracuse and the public universities of Kansas, Iowa and Mississippi."

(Most NY Times articles are behind a paywall, hence the excerpts.)
Old 10-02-2021, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

What, do they think that only fraternity men rape or attempt to? Because none of the men who attempted to rape me on campus were Greek.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:19 PM

Guess so

One of the protests was based on nothing more than rumors about a sexual assault. This protest turned violent - a car was flipped, there was damage to the fraternity house and property where the alleged assault took (or did not take) place, and arrests were made. It's sad that such violence took place over a rumor, because a fraternity was involved.

What about all the fraternity men out there who are gentlemen and would never dream of harming a woman?
Old 10-03-2021, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Even worse is the fact that the person who started the rumor won't be found. The rumors started on YikYak, an anonymous location-based posting forum which was big like five years ago but came back last month. This means that any person can say anything they like without their name being attached to their posts. Luckily it isn't too bad on my campus, its mainly just people making homophobic jokes about FIJI but I can't even begin to imagine what it is like on larger campuses where Greek Life is much more prevalent.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Anger grows from ignorance that can be erased thru the utilization of investigation and study. Discovery can erase shadows and calm unnecessary fears.

Students believing rumors are taking the easy way into an ignorant life.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

People who spread false allegations of rape should be prosecuted.

These “anonymous” websites need to go away.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
People who spread false allegations of rape should be prosecuted.

These “anonymous” websites need to go away.
Amen! As a teacher, I know many teachers whose lives have been ruined by false accusations, even when the student admitted that he or she had lied or that the accusation had been proven totally false.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
What, do they think that only fraternity men rape or attempt to? Because none of the men who attempted to rape me on campus were Greek.
Fraternities are easy targets. They're located conveniently close, within walking distance to campus, and they have big 'ol signs hanging out front letting you know who they are. Some students apparently think that walking around holding provocative signs and damaging private property is how real reform happens.

And yeah, you make a great point in that the vast majority of rapes are unreported. So the reality we're dealing with is not necessarily that fraternity members are overwhelmingly more likely to rape, it's that they are overwhelmingly more likely to be prosecuted in some way for it.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-04-2021, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Same here--- all fraternity men I dated were respectful. Non-fraternity men were the ones who didn't want to accept "No," were verbally disrespectful and difficult to break away from.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's the full article:

Quote:
At the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, hundreds of students protested outside a fraternity house in August after a student reported a sexual assault by one of its members to the police.

At Northwestern University, in Evanston, Ill., demonstrations erupted on Sunday after several students said they had been drugged at two fraternities. Northwestern suspended recruitment and social events at on-campus fraternity houses.

At the University of Massachusetts Amherst, rumors about a sexual assault prompted hundreds of students to show up outside the Theta Chi fraternity house, chanting an expletive, middle fingers raised. Some protesters overturned a car, and two students were arrested.

These protests were just part of a series of similar demonstrations against fraternities that have occurred this fall — not at small liberal arts colleges, but at big universities with powerful fraternity cultures, like Syracuse and the public universities of Kansas, Iowa and Mississippi.

Some protests are responding to recent formal reports of sexual assault. A few are driven by anonymous reports on social media, which fraternities say lack credibility, and which universities say they must take seriously, given the reluctance of some victims to report an assault.

But many protesters are not fighting what they see as a single case of rape or violence. Nor are many interested in disciplinary measures, doled out case by case.

Rather, many students, feeling newly empowered after the #MeToo movement and the Black Lives Matter protests, say they want an overhaul of campus life.

“A lot of students on campus want to see the fraternity completely abolished,” said Rebecca Evans, a sophomore at the University of Iowa who helps run U for Us, which supports sexual assault victims at the university.

Fraternity officials say that they understand the depth of the students’ anger about sexual assault, but that protesters are not seeing the whole picture.

“We have our challenges no doubt, just like the governors of states, just like people who are in media, just like pro athletes, just like entertainment,” said Judson Horras, president and chief executive of the North American Interfraternity Conference, the largest trade association of fraternities. He added, “We are being labeled for a problem that is frankly much larger than a fraternity issue.”

Fraternity officials say that while the police and university investigations are continuing, their chapters have acted swiftly and decisively. The accused student at the University of Nebraska dropped out of school and is no longer a member of the chapter, according to the Interfraternity Conference.

“So many fraternity men are appalled by this behavior,” Mr. Horras said, adding that fraternity brothers who expelled members should be supported and encouraged, not targeted by protests.

“They did the right thing,” Mr. Horras said. “The protests should be directed at the behavior.”

Mr. Horras said the Interfraternity Conference had taken specific steps to stop sexual misconduct. It requires fraternity members to receive sexual misconduct education, and since the fall of 2019, it has banned the consumption of hard alcohol at fraternity parties and houses.

Fraternity members are told, he said, “You report the incident immediately because we want to have a culture of openness and accountability of individuals.”

But fraternities have impassioned opponents. The protests are in a similar vein to “Abolish Greek Life” movements that have sprung up over the past year at universities like Emory, American and North Carolina. And the entering class of college students seems more intense and unyielding than that of the students who entered just before them, students say.

Sohaila Ammar and Katie Robertson, both first-year students at UMass, used Instagram to build support for demonstrations on their campus after a friend passed on the accusation that a woman had been drugged and sexually assaulted. They think the pent-up energy of the coronavirus pandemic has been transferred to the protests.

“People are conditioned to be ‘Oh, that’s how it is, that’s college culture,’” Ms. Robertson said. “My generation is a lot less tolerant of things that have happened in the past.”

“I feel like we’re a lot more radical even than the juniors and seniors, a lot more bold and forward,” Ms. Ammar said.

Sexual assault was widely discussed on platforms like TikTok over the past year of the pandemic, said Shivali Mashar, a 21-year-old senior at UMass. And, she added, the suspicion of historically white, male-dominated institutions — like the police — has been mobilized against largely white, male-dominated fraternities.

“Whether it be girls who have experienced sexual assault at a fraternity party or Black Americans with the police, both of these groups have been violently targeted in different ways,” she said. They are not the same, she said, just that, “for a long time, this has been swept under the rug.”

Fraternities point out that they are part of a vibrant campus life — by giving students a sense of belonging on a big campus, by raising donations and helping students in their careers.

“I believed in the stereotype that this wasn’t for me, that those guys are basically jackasses,” said Tyler Adolfo, a junior at UMass and member of Kappa Sigma, which has not been singled out by protesters. But once he joined, he said, he found that “everyone just wants the best for each other.”

His fraternity began a campaign to increase awareness about sexual assault, and he himself put in dozens of hours of research “because I wanted to get it right,” he said.

While sexual assault on campuses is said to be underreported, research on fraternities and sexual violence is thin. Some data shows that more than a quarter of female undergraduate students — and almost 7 percent of their male counterparts — will “experience rape or sexual assault through physical force, violence, or incapacitation,” according to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, an advocacy group.

But some research also suggests that violence is more closely tied to alcohol abuse and peer support than to anything intrinsic to belonging to a fraternity.

Recent protests have coincided with the return of the anonymous messaging app Yik Yak in mid-August after it was discontinued four years ago. While the app is popular on college campuses because it is location-based, the anonymity it thrives on does not make it easy for protesters, administrators or the police to substantiate any accusation.

But the protests at UMass show how little trust — and how much anger — some students have in the authorities to handle a rape accusation.

Leonard Bonn, a first-year student, said that he and his friends found out about the accusation when it was posted the next morning on Yik Yak. He recalls a message along the lines of either “‘I was assaulted at Theta Chi’ or ‘Someone was assaulted at Theta Chi.’” He is not sure.

By noon that day, hundreds of protesters began gathering outside the fraternity. Calls to the police reported that the protesters were “storming the house,” throwing bottles and tearing down an American flag. “Protest turned violent,” the police report says.

As darkness fell, protesters battered a fence and broke a window, callers to the police reported. Video on social media shows a group overturning a car.

The assault rumor may have been started by an ambulance run to the fraternity house around midnight that Saturday. Edward Blaguszewski, a university spokesman, said an ambulance picked up a student outside of the fraternity house and took the student to a hospital. From information gathered so far, he said, “This is not a sexual matter, but potentially alcohol-related.” The university is asking for any witnesses to an assault to come forward.

The fraternity’s international headquarters said it was not aware of any formal complaint corroborating the anonymous claims of sexual assault. In a letter to the university last Friday, it said the fraternity men “are being tried in the public square by a violent mob.” The letter demanded the expulsion of any student found to have committed violence or property damage against Theta Chi.

The responses of the administration and the fraternity may not quell the protests. Women who attended the demonstrations said that even if the latest allegations could not be confirmed, they had been through enough.

One of them was Ms. Mashar. She joined the protest outside Theta Chi at noon Sunday and was impressed at how many male students were there.

Ms. Mashar said the talk of rape victims resonated with her because she had been “roofied” — had a drug slipped in her drink — while attending a party at another fraternity her freshman year, though she had not been assaulted.

“Not every girl is that lucky,” she said. But her experience — which she said she reported to the university — has heightened her sense of risk.

She did not attend the later, more violent protest. But she confessed to mixed feelings on seeing the video.

“I don’t think it’s correct for them to flip a car, absolutely not,” she said. “But I can’t say that I’m mad that it happened.”

Last edited by pshsx1; 10-04-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Ortiz: Northwestern, seize all Greek houses now
Sterling Ortiz, Columnist
September 30, 2021

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2021/0...ek-houses-now/

Am I just tired, or is this letter/article all over the map?

@~/~~~~
Old 10-05-2021, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
September 30, 2021

It's all over the map. She wanted SAE HQ to sell their property, even though it's a privately own property.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
September 30, 2021

And she mentions that black students need to demand the right to live on campus exclusively with other black students if they desire, but also claims sorority sisters shouldn't be able to live together under one roof. Hmmm.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 10-05-2021 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post

"At big universities with powerful fraternity cultures — like UMass

I'm sorry, but for a very long time, UMass' Greek Life has been the opposite of a powerful culture.

Last edited by XAntoftheSkyX; 10-18-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

So much contradiction in those articles, especially the one written by Sterling Ortiz, who condemns all fraternities as rapists on one hand, and condemns them for not allowing him to crash their parties when he was a freshman, on the other; who feels that exclusive greek housing, which separates greeks from the general student body, should be surrendered so that other students could live exclusively, which would separate them from the general student body. Demanding that SAE relinquish its national headquarters, which is private property? How communistic of him.

If I were Sterling, I would be embarrassed of the lack of writing skills, and understanding of property law and simple economics I had just exhibited in my inane article, and I would concentrate on improving those inadequacies before I write another article.