GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,494
0 members and 2,494 guests
No Members online

Old 05-26-2010, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

North Carolina - Chapel HIll: Possible Changes Affecting Fraternities?

Potential changes that would affect fraternities at the U of North Carolina - Chapel Hill are being discussed.
For goals, possible implementation steps and timelines, see

http://orange.mync.com/site/orange/n...be-reorganized

Excerpts:

. . . According to report issued after four months of analysis, the university's fraternities need more oversight to improve behavior.

The report also outlines how the system would benefit from a stronger alumni presence.

UNC-CH alumnus Jordan Whichard wrote the report after voluntarily studying the system. In his letter to the board of trustees chair, Whichard observed that fraternity members had already begun meeting to reorganize the system.

Campus trustees will discuss the issue Thursday.

Final Goals, as outlined in the report:

THE MAJOR GOAL OF THE REVIEW PROCESS IS TO:

Strengthen the Greek Fraternity system at UNC-CH with the following objectives:
1. Establish an increased level of adult alumni leadership over the IFC and members
2. Establish an improved system of self governance overseen by the Fraternity Alumni Association (FAA)
3. Reduce the incidence of unacceptable social behavior
4. Increase the academic achievement of fraternity members
5. Increase the involvement of fraternity members in the greater University and local community
6. Increase both the number and quality of membership
7. Increase the training and opportunity for leadership

The entire article contains more details about possible actions / implementation.

I hope that Chapel Hill people on GC will be willing to share more information as discussions on these proposals progress.

Edited to add address for a shorter, more general article from the Charlotte Observer:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...-guidance.html

Last edited by exlurker; 05-26-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-26-2010, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I laughed at "increased adult supervision" because, you know, all college students are children.

I'm all for improving behavior, but I don't know how I feel about an outside group of alums coming in to regulate a student-run organization's actions. Isn't that what the Greek Life Advisor is supposed to help do?

Old 05-26-2010, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

KS, I would think that means advisory personnel. That's one of the main problems in mens groups. The women tend to have large advisory boards but the men often have only one person and he's ill-equiped to handle all the work.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the general concept, especially since it bolsters alumni support of chapters. However, I don't see any plan to get the alumni activley involved. If their own chapters can't get them to stick around how is an alumni IFC supposed to do it? (Especially when very few fraternity men hold their campus IFC in very high regard.)
Old 05-26-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
KS, I would think that means advisory personnel. That's one of the main problems in mens groups. The women tend to have large advisory boards but the men often have only one person and he's ill-equiped to handle all the work.
I know what they meant. I laughed at the term "adult supervision."

My university had a Greek Life advisor, several assistants, and access to the "higher ups" in Student Affairs and Student Activities. If the member organizations weren't performing, this team worked with the council(s) to come up with solutions. We didn't have to bring in outside help. Why make it a student-run organization if you have non-students (and non-employees) regulating it?