GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,630
1 members and 2,629 guests
Tridentia

Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Anonymous Student

HELP! Can I rush a new sorority!?

Hey! So I have a quick question.

I am currently an initiated member in a sorority at my current school. However, I am transferring schools and don't want to join the same sorority at my new school. They DO have a chapter, but I have met with the girls and we just don't fit perfectly. However, I still would like to remain Greek, so is it possible to re-rush and start all over?!

Oboviously I would NEVER reveal any of my chapter's secrets to anyone else. I'd never do that.

I know at my school you have to wait a year or something after dropping to re-rush, is that the case at all schools?

How would the girls at my new school know I had ever joined a sorority? I know it's skummy but could I just rush anyways?

HELP Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I am currently in a sorority at my current school. However, I am transferring schools and don't want to join the same sorority at my new school. They DO have a chapter, but I have met with the girls and we just don't fit perfectly. However, I still would like to remain Greek, so is it possible to re-rush and start all over?!

Oboviously I would NEVER reveal any of my chapter's secrets to anyone else. I'd never do that.

I know at my school you have to wait a year or something after dropping to re-rush, is that the case at all schools?

How would the girls at my new school know I had ever joined a sorority? I know it's skummy but could I just rush anyways?

HELP Thanks!
No. You cannot. However in some groups you can I believe apply for alumni status. Not sure though.
Florida Atlantic University
Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

No. Once you have been initiated into one NPC organization, you are never allowed to join any other.

Check your affiliation policies of your organization. You may be considered an alumna member as soon as you transfer, but don't affiliate. Or, I could be totally wrong. It varies from org to org.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 03-22-2010, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Dang! Doesn't the average member value their organizations anymore?! I don't think I'll ever stop being angry about the shortened new member period. It's all handed to them on a silver platter. Then, when it's convenient, they so easily toss it away.

NO! You can't join another NPC. And don't even bother trying to go through rush again hoping not to get caught. It won't work.

/rant

Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:

I am currently an initiated member in a sorority at my current school. However, I am transferring schools and don't want to join the same sorority at my new school. They DO have a chapter, but I have met with the girls and we just don't fit perfectly. However, I still would like to remain Greek, so is it possible to re-rush and start all over?!

HELP Thanks!

If you are an initiated member of an NPC (Panhellenic) sorority, you MAY not join another NPC member organization.

And as to the "how would they know?" question: The world is MUCH smaller than you think (especially with all of the social networking going on). Unless you plan on living in a bubble or something, someone WILL find out.

I don't even know why anyone would want to have the burden of trying to "beat the system" and hide something like that. Who wants to be "that shady girl?"

Try if you want to, but just know that you will look ULTRA sketcky once found out. You will also lose membership in BOTH orgs (depending on policies).

I have NEVER known anyone to get away with it. Not worth it.

So you have 3 options:

1. affiliate with the chapter of your sorority at your new school.
2. Don't affiliate with and become an alumna.
3. Be Shady McSketchy, try to break a rule and get caught (while simultaneously looking like an idiot).

Good luck.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-22-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
They DO have a chapter, but I have met with the girls and we just don't fit perfectly.

Do you really think the sisters you've already met with and deemed not up to your standards will forget your face when they see you prancing through rush at your new school? Do you really think they don't know people in other chapters and won't share that little tidbit about your prior affiliation?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Dang! Doesn't the average member value their organizations anymore?!
My thoughts, exactly.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Do you really think the sisters you've already met with and deemed not up to your standards will forget your face when they see you prancing through rush at your new school? Do you really think they don't know people in other chapters and won't share that little tidbit about your prior affiliation?
So simple. You register for recruitment, your name is spotted on the list by someone in the chapter. Chapter president makes a quick call to the Panhellenic advisor and you are dunskies. It's a shame that reality can't be as drama-filled as I'd like.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
So simple. You register for recruitment, your name is spotted on the list by someone in the chapter. Chapter president makes a quick call to the Panhellenic advisor and you are dunskies. It's a shame that reality can't be as drama-filled as I'd like.
Honestly.

They MET you and they KNOW you're an ABC.

It really is that simple.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Anonymous Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
no. the problem is actually that they are very perticular with the types of girls they choose to join their chapter and I don't think they'd choose to vote me in.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
no. the problem is actually that they are very perticular with the types of girls they choose to join their chapter and I don't think they'd choose to vote me in.
How many times did you meet with them? It's hard to determine whether these women like you if you have only met with them once.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:59 AM

First off, at your school you have to wait a year after DEPLEDGING (as in, you are still a pledge when you quit, not an initiated sister) to rush/join another organization. I guarantee you that people at your school cannot join another group after they have already been initiated into another one.

Quote:
no. the problem is actually that they are very particular with the types of girls they choose to join their chapter and I don't think they'd choose to vote me in.
Try hanging out with them for more than 2.5 seconds. They may be more like you than you think. I realize that sometimes you do go from a really good fit to a really bad fit, but if you knew you were transferring you should have just not rushed at the first school to begin with.

P.S. If you're going from a very laid-back sort of school to a school with a very competitive rush/Greek system...it is more than likely that the girls in all the chapters will be more alike than different. So even if you could rerush, the girls in the other sororities would probably be just as "particular."
Old 03-23-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Dang! Doesn't the average member value their organizations anymore?! I don't think I'll ever stop being angry about the shortened new member period. It's all handed to them on a silver platter. Then, when it's convenient, they so easily toss it away.
I honestly don't think it's so much the length as the attitude and the content. If your pledge period is more like a Dale Carnegie course or a Pretty Pretty Princess party and concentrates way too much on how the sorority can improve and benefit you (while impressing very little of the other side of that coin) it's not going to instill any loyalty. Not to mention that if you take out the component that makes most girls choose a group in the first place (i.e. liking the women in that individual chapter and wanting to become closer with them) in favor of a completely standardized and regimented program that gives you no time to get to know the majority of the group on a one to one basis, it's not going to magically make you any more loyal to the national group as a result.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

sunshine, do you mean that the chapter at your new school is filled with beauty queens, nobel prize winners and campus movers and shakers, while you are more an average girl?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe they just want women who can spell "particular." Would appear to be a problem for her.