GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,306
2 members and 1,304 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-13-2017, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Transfer Rushee

Hi,

I just transferred to a large public university from a smaller liberal arts school. My GPA for the one year I attended the old school was a 2.8. I have checked every possible grade report and everywhere it just says credits transferred, with no actual alphabetical grades. I am currently rushing as a sophomore, and listed on my IFC app that I had a 3.6. its the end of rush and nothing has been said to me. Is my GPA a 0.0 here and fraternities will just know that I have transfer credits, or will they somehow gain access to not only my credit report but also the GPA from my past school? I have not made any FERPA commitments to release anything to fraternities, so do I genuinely have a fresh start, and am free to rush without my physical grades and GPA being evaluated? Greek life is not huge here btw, as in the school revolves around it.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Usually you sign something to register for recruitment that gives the chapters access to your grades. That may have happened. Have you gotten a bid?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Saying you have a 3.6 when you really have a 2.8 goes way beyond stretching the truth or "improving your lie." I guess I'd get ready to study, because anyone who bids you is going to expect great grades!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Generally the GPA doesn't transfer from an old school to a new one, just the credits. Some schools ask for old transcripts and use the old GPA, and some just assume you have the appropriate GPA and let you rush. Where did you conjure the 3.6 number from? Because if they find out you lied and never had that, that's a different conversation.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transferrushee View Post
Hi,

I just transferred to a large public university from a smaller liberal arts school. My GPA for the one year I attended the old school was a 2.8. I have checked every possible grade report and everywhere it just says credits transferred, with no actual alphabetical grades. I am currently rushing as a sophomore, and listed on my IFC app that I had a 3.6. its the end of rush and nothing has been said to me. Is my GPA a 0.0 here and fraternities will just know that I have transfer credits, or will they somehow gain access to not only my credit report but also the GPA from my past school? I have not made any FERPA commitments to release anything to fraternities, so do I genuinely have a fresh start, and am free to rush without my physical grades and GPA being evaluated? Greek life is not huge here btw, as in the school revolves around it.
QFP

@~/~~~~
Old 09-13-2017, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Lying doesn't seem like a good way to start off a relationship based on honor and integrity.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Generally the GPA doesn't transfer from an old school to a new one, just the credits.
I'm going to object to your use of the word "generally" as your statement is not true a majority of the time. Many universities will take the student's entire record into account. Meaning, credits *and* GPA will transfer from the transfer school. I worked as a transcript evaluator for a state university for 10 years. I've seen transcripts from nearly every place imaginable and what those schools put on them.

Though, based on the OPs post, it sounds like he's saying that his current school is only showing his credits and not grades. Well, it may not show grades, but the cumulative GPA and transfer GPA may still be on the current school's transcript. If his school is one of the few that gives credits only, no grade points transfer in, then he's lucky. But, that doesn't explain how he managed to have a 3.6. Unless, he pulled from his high school GPA since his transfer credits are 0.00 and no grades have been earned at the current school.

The fraternity may not be checking grades right now during rush, but they may pull transcripts later, prior to initiation. OP better hope that his GPA on the transcripts matches what he told the fraternity.

True and Constant
Old 09-14-2017, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I'm going to object to your use of the word "generally" as your statement is not true a majority of the time. Many universities will take the student's entire record into account. Meaning, credits *and* GPA will transfer from the transfer school. I worked as a transcript evaluator for a state university for 10 years. I've seen transcripts from nearly every place imaginable and what those schools put on them.

Though, based on the OPs post, it sounds like he's saying that his current school is only showing his credits and not grades. Well, it may not show grades, but the cumulative GPA and transfer GPA may still be on the current school's transcript. If his school is one of the few that gives credits only, no grade points transfer in, then he's lucky. But, that doesn't explain how he managed to have a 3.6. Unless, he pulled from his high school GPA since his transfer credits are 0.00 and no grades have been earned at the current school.

The fraternity may not be checking grades right now during rush, but they may pull transcripts later, prior to initiation. OP better hope that his GPA on the transcripts matches what he told the fraternity.
Was clemsongirl referring to being accepted into the school, or the "school" (i.e. IFC/Panhellenic/fraternities/sororities) reviewing potential members and not considering the GPA of transfers?

I initially read it as the latter, but I could very well be mistaken.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-14-2017, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Was clemsongirl referring to being accepted into the school, or the "school" (i.e. IFC/Panhellenic/fraternities/sororities) reviewing potential members and not considering the GPA of transfers?

I initially read it as the latter, but I could very well be mistaken.
Yes, I was referring to the school in the sense of what the Greek office does. I'm sure the transfer admissions folks review things a little more rigorously