GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,583
0 members and 1,583 guests
No Members online

Old 07-13-2014, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Return to Amish

I'm watching it on TLC and I have to admit that I just don't understand the Amish culture. I don't understand how the parents can cut their children out of their lives if the child decides to leave the Amish. I don't get how you could shun your child like that?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
I'm watching it on TLC and I have to admit that I just don't understand the Amish culture. I don't understand how the parents can cut their children out of their lives if the child decides to leave the Amish. I don't get how you could shun your child like that?
If that's how you're raised you do what you're told to do.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree, I don't get it either. I can't imagine ever shunning a child for any reason, especially a mother. Maybe if you grow up in that culture and see other people do it, it feels normal?
Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Religion makes people do bizarre things.

Θ Φ Α

Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 PM

Please point me to this show ... it's on TLC?

It's my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Amish young adults are given the opportunity to experience "English" life - Rumspringa - and, after a year or two, they are asked to return to Amish life or to leave the community completely, including their family.

I experienced something not dissimilar - I guess you would call it "shunning lite". I converted from Catholicism to Judaism and married a Jewish man. My father pretty much wanted to shun me. He gave me not one dime towards my wedding expenses, did not walk me down the aisle or agree to a father-daughter dance, and threatened not to attend our wedding at all (to the point where I told my mother, who wanted to attend but couldn't drive on highways, that I would arrange her flight and pick her up at the airport myself so SHE could walk me down the aisle ... when the dust settled, my parents both attended, but my mother walked me down the aisle and we had a mother-daughter dance (I led )). Now that he's disabled, he's falling all over himself trying to make it up to me ... but I digress.

I think my father expected me to go to college, have my "Rumspringa", and then return to life as a loyal and faithful Catholic woman, court (not date, but court) a Catholic man, marry, and pop out a few grandchildren.

I have nothing against Catholicism. But, despite being raised Catholic - I'm Jewish.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Please point me to this show ... it's on TLC?

It's my understanding (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Amish young adults are given the opportunity to experience "English" life - Rumspringa - and, after a year or two, they are asked to return to Amish life or to leave the community completely, including their family.

I experienced something not dissimilar - I guess you would call it "shunning lite". I converted from Catholicism to Judaism and married a Jewish man. My father pretty much wanted to shun me. He gave me not one dime towards my wedding expenses, did not walk me down the aisle or agree to a father-daughter dance, and threatened not to attend our wedding at all (to the point where I told my mother, who wanted to attend but couldn't drive on highways, that I would arrange her flight and pick her up at the airport myself so SHE could walk me down the aisle ... when the dust settled, my parents both attended, but my mother walked me down the aisle and we had a mother-daughter dance (I led )). Now that he's disabled, he's falling all over himself trying to make it up to me ... but I digress.

I think my father expected me to go to college, have my "Rumspringa", and then return to life as a loyal and faithful Catholic woman, court (not date, but court) a Catholic man, marry, and pop out a few grandchildren.

I have nothing against Catholicism. But, despite being raised Catholic - I'm Jewish.
Rumspringa can actually last more than 2 years. It can take many years. People generally get shunned in the Amish community if, after they go on Rumspringa, they decide to stay English and leave the Amish community. It's viewed as showing your children love if you shun them for their "evil" ways for choosing to no longer be Amish.