GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,527
1 members and 1,526 guests
naraht

Old 12-11-2005, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AWJDZ
gift for the bf's parents...

I need some SERIOUS help! I can not think of anything to get my bf's parents for Christmas. We have been dating for about 6 months and often go to dinner with them and over to their house. They have everything they could ever want. Both are in the education fields (mom is a reading recovery lead teacher and dad is a principal) and are going to retire in June. I thought about getting them a gift certificate but if it is to a resturant, chances are they would take us. They do not drink alcohol at all. Anyone got any suggestions? I don't want to ask him cause he would tell me there is no need to buy them anything. I feel like I should cause I really like them and they do a lot for us. Help please! I am willing to spend up to $75.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-11-2005, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe something like coffee with homemade biscotti? I know that where i live there are a lot of local blends and it's always nice for people to get coffee that's a bit more pricey than they would buy themselves. Also biscotti is really easy to make and keeps for a good while.

And for mom, if she's not a coffee drinker, perhaps just a nice yankee candle, the housewarmer size, in a winter scent complete with the even burning top and some other accessories. Most people like to have the house smell nice and these do a great job.

Do they golf? If they are retiring perhaps a gift certificate at their golf club for brunch or something with their clubs (i am really unfamiliar with the whole golf thing).

Hope these help.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

If they have "everything", they probably don't have time! Make a beautiful tray of cookies that they can serve (and I mean beautiful, maybe 6-7 dozen) and put them on a really nice platter that doesn't cost much (think garage sale, or ebay!). You'll score extra points if the plate matches their normal china, or at least coordinates with it.

The only drawback is that you can NOT have a cold while giving it! One sneeze, and they'll be a little blech about the whole gesture!
Old 12-11-2005, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
When I had been dating my boyfriend for about that time period, I always got a really nice picture of us (boyfriend and I) and had it framed really nice. It's a nice, thoughtful gift, but not overly expensive and it's something they can display in their home.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Arg, my boyfriend and I have been dating for 4 years now, and his parents are SO hard to buy for. They don't go out (Ever), they don't drink, they dont go to the movies....it's really frustrating. So one year i had Pat make a list of all the foods they like, and I made them a fruit basket. I got a huge basket, that shrinky stuff that you use a hair dryer on and it shrinks up, and I made a pretty bow. It turned out really nice. MY parents are super easy to buy for, dinner certificiates, movies, wine, they like it all.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

My boyfriend and I are going to get his parents tickets to a Broadway show, probably RENT. Could you do something similar in your area? Like tickets to the local dinner theatre or something?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Baltimore, MD - Missing Sitting on the Green Monster with Johnny Damon and Teddy Bruschi
Send a message via AIM to PlymouthDZ
For my fiance's parents.. I have gotten them gifts like a gift certificate to their favorite resturaunt... Virginia Tech things (the whole family went and they ALL are still uber proud..), ornaments for their Christmas tree, something form Harry and David (cookies, chocolates, etc)... and books on their itnerests.

Try any of those?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

What about a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble or something like that?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

While the picture of you two in a frame is a nice gift, it may scare your BF or his parents (ie, picture of the two of us, she'll be expecting a ring soon) -- crazy I know, but I had a friend who did this & soon after the BF told her that things were moving too fast & that he felt the picture to his parents was a big hint and he wasn't ready for that yet. Just something to think about

A beautiful plant would be a good idea - something that doesn't need much care, but that looks nice year round. My parents got some sort of tree thing that is along the fir family line, but small (not cone shaped like a Christmas tree) so it stays indoor year round in a pot without a lot of care.

A gift basket from Harry & David (or any of the umpteen home market type stores) would be nice also - they have a lot of choices that you can decide from to put into the basket.

Also - while this sounds a little out there - my father-in-law is a retired Marine. It was always hard to buy for them (because they too have everything under the sun!) - so one year we gave them something small (maybe an ornament - I can't remember) and gave them a card that says we made a donation to Toys for Tots in their honor - they were thrilled. They didn't need "another thing" and this way the money was spent in their honor to help the needy. Being that your bf's parents are in education, they may really enjoy something like this being made to a group that helps provide school supplies for needy children.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Yeah I would be terrified if my GF got my parents a picture with us both in it . . . I mean we are going to break up someday anyway.

I am not keen on the plant idea because its like a new responsibility. No matter how low maintainence its still something they have to deal with. Plus they have to put it somewhere and they can't store it.

How about one of the hickory farms gift baskets with assorted cheeses and such?

In your situation you can get them almost anything . . you are not trying to impress them . . because you can't really. Not for 75 dollars
Old 12-11-2005, 06:28 PM

This might seem like a crazy idea, but how about asking them what they would like? Or asking your boyfriend for ideas? In my husband's family, everyone asks each other what they want... I once surprised DH with a gift and he was disappointed because I hadn't asked him what he wanted!

Are you crafty at all? One of my hobbies is cross stitch, and I've given my in-laws a cross stitch item or two... of course, with two weeks until Christmas, this suggestion probably comes a little too late
Old 12-11-2005, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh I'm glad this thread popped up. I've been wondering what to get the bf's parents.

BF just says get his dad some home baked goods, especially chocolate chip cookies. I have had some trouble getting something for his mom because she lost her sense of smell, so candles and scented stuff are out of the question.

Now I'm starting to think that a Harry and David box is more viable. And they both drink coffee, so Starbucks gift pack may also be an option.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I bought my future MIL a nice soft pink pajama set, I know she'll love it, maybe his would too?

Oh the dad, sheesh. Is he much of an outdoorsman or anything? Ya gotta give GC people more info!!
Old 12-11-2005, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
What about a gift certificate to Barnes and Noble or something like that?

I agree that this would be a perfect gift for a couple of educators. Also, my inlaws got me one for my birthday and I had a great time wandering around B&N with a gift card burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
If it helps any, I'll probably give my boyfriend's parents some homemade toffee and beer cheese in cute little tins because I know they like it. People like food, plus, it fits poor grad students' budgets.