GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,146
4 members and 2,142 guests
KSigkid, oncegreek, Xidelt, Zae_TheCreator

Old 08-17-2004, 03:24 PM

Know your history and policies

Please know your sorority/fraternity policies and history before spouting off half-truths and urban myths.

Don't tell everyone XYZ is your "brother fraternity/sister sorority" just because a lot of you hang out there or date them.

Don't tell people your GLO is one of the largest in the US when it's not. It's called the Internet. People can look things up and know you're BSing them.

Don't repeat the "pin on the moon" and "brothel" myths. They simply aren't true.

Yes, maybe Brooke Shields is your sister...but it's not THAT Brooke Shields. This is where a lot of the fake "famous Greeks" come from.

Whew, that feels better.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you, you always know how to say things!
Old 08-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Whitedaisy needs to turn that into a banner and John needs to affix the banner to the main page.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-17-2004, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks 33!

Another tip: If you're posting "famous XYZs" on your chapter's website, but don't know what chapter Susan Lucci/Heather Locklear/Britney Spears/Hillary Duff is from, here's a clue - maybe she really wasn't an XYZ! If she's not on your nationals list, there's another clue.

Sorry for the rant, but this really drives me crazy.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Just because you read it in Pledged does not mean it's true!

(This had to be said. )
Old 08-17-2004, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Whitedaisy needs to turn that into a banner and John needs to affix the banner to the main page.
amen
Old 08-17-2004, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by angelove
Thanks 33!

Another tip: If you're posting "famous XYZs" on your chapter's website, but don't know what chapter Susan Lucci/Heather Locklear/Britney Spears/Hillary Duff is from, here's a clue - maybe she really wasn't an XYZ! If she's not on your nationals list, there's another clue.

Sorry for the rant, but this really drives me crazy.
Not to mention "Mrs. Hall," "Mrs. Wrigley," "Mrs. Campbell," and especially the much-mentioned "Betty Crocker." I hate to break it to you, but Betty Crocker of cake mix and cookbook fame was and is an advertising gimmick, not a person.

And if your GLO had a part-time something-or-other -- consultant / advisor / whatever -- who worked for your GLO west of the Mississippi in the early days and was the first such fraternity or sorority official west of Illinois to be reimbursed monthly by check for BOTH travel and meals . . . well, firsts are important, but some firsts are harder than others for the general public to care about .
Old 08-17-2004, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

VERY good post.............

Look at it this way, would you want someone coming after you and publicly PROVING you wrong? If not, then you need to be sure of your facts before you say anything.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Ah, rumors run rampant on Internet.

Yes LXA have had many Well know People as many of us have had in each Organization of ours.

Two of the wildest that I have had:

Harry Truman Who I knew and Robert Urich who I slapped on the back at a Golf Tourny I was playing in and did not realize at the time were LXA Brothers.

Just Check National Web Sites before posting.

Hell, I was so suprised of how many were listed. Kenney Chesney for one, E Tenn.

Oh Larry Brown with the sucky Olympic BB Team!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-17-2004, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If you're posting "famous XYZs" on your chapter's website, but don't know what chapter Susan Lucci/Heather Locklear/Britney Spears/Hillary Duff is from, here's a clue - maybe she really wasn't an XYZ!
That's a pet peeve of mine, too. I saw a number of websites claiming that the actress Elisabeth Shue was a Pi Phi, but there's never been a Pi Phi chapter at her alma mater, Harvard. Get your facts right, everyone!

Also: bust out the spell check on your chapter's web site. Nothing makes you look ditzier than a link to your "Calender."
Old 08-17-2004, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
I read where one young woman claimed that Martha Stewart was in her GLO. Martha Stewart went to Barnard when there were no NPC options for Barnard Women.

I should point out, however, that it is true that Moses, Buddha, Beethoven, and Genghis Khan were all Phi Psis. I just don't remember which chapters.

ETA George Washington and John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt were also Phi Psis. I forgot about them.

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 08-17-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
I read where one young woman claimed that Martha Stewart was in her GLO. Martha Stewart went to Barnard when there were no NPC options for Barnard Women.

I should point out, however, that it is true that Moses, Buddha, Beethoven, and Genghis Khan were all Phi Psis. I just don't remember which chapters.

ETA George Washington and John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt were also Phi Psis. I forgot about them.
Sorry, AEPi claims Moses. In return we give Phi Psi Mohammed Al-Sadr.

-Rudey
Old 08-17-2004, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Sorry, AEPi claims Moses. In return we give Phi Psi Mohammed Al-Sadr.

-Rudey
That's very generous of you, but we ain't trading.

I'll tell you what. You can have Spinoza, Papa Smurf, and Gilbert Gottfried.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
That's a pet peeve of mine, too. I saw a number of websites claiming that the actress Elisabeth Shue was a Pi Phi, but there's never been a Pi Phi chapter at her alma mater, Harvard. Get your facts right, everyone!

Also: bust out the spell check on your chapter's web site. Nothing makes you look ditzier than a link to your "Calender."
One of our options for recruitment shirts was the whole "We sent a woman to the moon... (insert Phi Mu's astronaut)" Well one part of that was D Phi E and Bette Midler. Thanks to GC I squashed the chance of embarrassment. It ain't their fault... well actually it was our Panhel Advisor (an awesome DZ!) but sometimes u don't know when to believe rumors or not.

KLTC
Old 08-17-2004, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
One of our options for recruitment shirts was the whole "We sent a woman to the moon... (insert Phi Mu's astronaut)" Well one part of that was D Phi E and Bette Midler. Thanks to GC I squashed the chance of embarrassment. It ain't their fault... well actually it was our Panhel Advisor (an awesome DZ!) but sometimes u don't know when to believe rumors or not.
It's funny. I have heard from so many people that so and so famous person is an XYZ including Bette Midler and Donna Karan are DPhiEs. I figure if they are not on the international website, they aren't DPhiEs. One person who wasn't a DPhiE insisted Donna Karan is. She heard it from someone who knew a DPhiE at NYU. I guess that's how rumors get started. Shrug.

Anyway what's the big deal about famous sisters and alumnae? It's not like they will show up at your chapter for a mixer one night when they are free.