GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,416
1 members and 2,415 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-11-2003, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Fraternities Recruit Fewer New Brothers

This is an article that was in the University of Oregon's campus newspaper today. It brings up an interesting question: Do dry fraternities make recruitment numbers go down, or does it help in the long run? What do you think?

Fraternities recruit fewer new brothers
Fraternity recruitment falls short of last year but current members are hopeful that more students will join in the coming weeks

Jared Paben
News Reporter
October 10, 2003

Recruitment week has finished and the dust has settled, but a picture of this year's fraternity community is not yet clear.
In the first week of recruitment, 138 men were pledged into fraternities, a number that may initially appear dismal when stacked up against last year's 180 fall term pledges.

However, fraternity recruitment will continue throughout the remaining weeks of fall term, allowing more time to pledge, said James George, vice president for leadership development for the Interfraternity Council.

"For the numbers right now, we really can't say whether they're down or not," he said. "Men's recruitment is kind of an ongoing process."

George said during recruitment week, which lasted from Oct. 3 through Oct. 8, 20 to 30 people who received bids to join a fraternity have not yet chosen one. This year, the Interfraternity Council modified the recruitment week schedule to give incoming students more time to make a decision to join.

"It's a big decision to make," said Tim Rinaker, a recruitment chair for the Sigma Chi fraternity . "In one week or ten days it's tough for them to make a decision."

He added that his fraternity did "really well" this year. They pledged 21 men, and had only three undecided bids. Usually they get anywhere from 20 to 25 total pledges.

"We really didn't have to compromise our standards at all to find those guys," he said.

Ryan Birge, who is in charge of initiation for the Kappa Sigma fraternity, agreed that a lot of potential members are holding out before pledging. His fraternity had 13 pledges, but 20 people are sitting on their bids.

Birge added that there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm this year, largely due to the University's alcohol ban. Last year -- the first year of the ban -- was even worse, he said.

George disagreed. He said he didn't think the alcohol ban was drastically affecting fraternity recruitment. He added that freshmen who look for the stereotypical fraternity experience will not find a place in the University fraternity system.

"If that's their only focus I don't think they're going to find a fraternity focused solely on that," he said. "I like the fact we're taking the focus from the alcohol and back to the chapter."

Rinaker said his fraternity has always been dry, a policy which he said has kept out the members who only want to party. He said he felt the University's rules would lower the number of men interested in joining a fraternity, but that it would attract a better pool of members.

"I think initially it might hurt the greek system," he said. "In the long run I think it'll improve the quality of the guys."

This year, two past fraternities are also returning to campus, George said. Phi Kappa Psi is trying to "re-colonize" the University after a four- or five-year absence. Phi Gamma Delta has also expressed an interest in restarting a fraternity here. Both chapters retain their houses on campus but will need a large number of pledges to fill their leadership positions, he said.

Despite the return of two fraternities to campus, Birge said the greek community is still reeling from the effects of the alcohol ban.

"Overall, I think greek life is going downhill," he said. "I think dry is a major part of it ... It's kind of ridiculous when a 21-year-old can't drink in his own home."

Last edited by KDbutterfly; 10-11-2003 at 03:17 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-11-2003, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

How many chapters are there at Oregon?

How many chapters are there at Oregon?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

We have 9 sororities and 13 fraternities.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

The Phi Psi house at U of O is SO COOL!!! It was the Omega House in "National Lampoon's Animal House", so I really hope that they can get some quality brothers in there! The Pac-10 needs to have a Phi Psi chapter at every school, and right now we need U of O, WSU, and Cal!
Old 10-14-2003, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Yah, their house is great. Currently, I believe the brothers of Pi Kappa Alpha are still in the house. The Pikes refused to sign the dry house policy though, so they are no longer recognized as a fraternity by the University. I'm not sure when the Phi Psi's get to move back into their house.