GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,446
0 members and 2,446 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Congratulations to everyone! Based on numbers alone it looks like it was a very balanced rush. A couple are really high, but it looks like quota of +/- 60 is good and attained by all.

Is it time to add another chapter?
Looks to me like quota is around 58, which is actually down four from last year's 62. Although, I'm not sure if this campus has an upperclassmen quota that some chapters do not choose to fully achieve...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2012, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to everyone!

I asked my daughter if they had any criers at bid day festivities and she said that they had one, a girl who had been promised a bid to another chapter! I can't imagine the disappointment thinking that you absolutely knew where you were going and then getting something different. Hopefully she will have a chance to look around and see that this is the group that wanted her.

AUmom2012, sometimes I think the girls who seem to be disappointed to be there actually get a little more love from actives. They've all been through recruitment themselves.

I also want to add that my daughter said that those criers turn out to be some of the best members!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Every year there are some...most of us understand why and while I would be feeling the same as you, "did not raise you to be this way" we all feel for those and do not judge them. Most do end up happy! Will say a prayer for all these girls and mothers tonight that they will all finally sleep and be happy.
My daughter called today thrilled with the pledge class they got and said this year had some great girls going through. Every chapter is "full" as she said with strong, strong pledge classes which truly makes her happy.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I also LOVE the stats!

Excited to see an Alpha Xi from very close to home (Mr. LPs hometown!)

I'm also assuming that my co-workers cousin went Theta (she shares the same last name and state...gotta be her!)
Old 08-13-2012, 02:33 PM

I spy 5 Ohio girls on that list!

They're not even from major cities, either.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

My rec crew:

2 Alpha Xi Delta
2 Pi Beta Phi
1 Gamma Phi Beta
1 Sigma Kappa
1 Delta Delta Delta

One of those had a ton of legacy groups and she pledged a different one.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I spy 5 Ohio girls on that list!

They're not even from major cities, either.
There are 8 from Ohio.

Mason, Lancaster, Shaker Heights, Batavia, New Albany, Gates Mills, Cincy, Liberty Township.

Last edited by irishpipes; 08-13-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

A rec. girl of my daughter's pledge AOII. She is a darling young woman.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
There are 8 from Ohio.

Mason, Lancaster, Shaker Heights, Batavia, New Albany, Gates Mills, Cincy, Liberty Township.
Oh cool. Cincy is a major city and a few of those are suburbs of big cities (e.g. Shaker, Mason, Gates Mills.) But some of those cities are pretty small. Definitely not somewhere I'd expect a PNM to come from.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh ya'll she's inconsolable. Still crying? I thnk she's not going to take her bid. And of all things, her #1's girls took her lunch. Really? Seriously?? WTF is all that about. They should just stay out of it right now. Love they want to be friends but now isn't the time. Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm just at a loss right as what to do.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUmom2012 View Post
. And of all things, her #1's girls took her lunch. .
Old 08-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUmom2012 View Post
Oh ya'll she's inconsolable. Still crying? I thnk she's not going to take her bid. And of all things, her #1's girls took her lunch. Really? Seriously?? WTF is all that about. They should just stay out of it right now. Love they want to be friends but now isn't the time. Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm just at a loss right as what to do.
Well, she doesn't have a choice right now. #1 is not a possibility for at least a year. She might as well give #3 a go of it because it could very well be her only chance at Greek life.

I'm sure the #1 members mean well, but they aren't doing her any favors by taking her out to lunch right now. If anything, they're probably fueling false hope in your daughter. It's sad.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

That seems really odd. How would they have time to do that? In any case, my guess is there was some member selection battling going on and the lunch-takers were on the losing side of the fight. And if I'm right, the girl is going to end up with nothing because she's going to think she has a chance with the chapter that put her too low on their list.

Make sure your daughter knows that she can't accept a bid from any other group for a full year, whether she drops her group now or a few weeks from now. She gains NOTHING and could lose EVERYTHING if she drops now. Making a decision like that when she is this emotional can only hurt her.
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
Well, she doesn't have a choice right now. #1 is not a possibility for at least a year. She might as well give #3 a go of it because it could very well be her only chance at Greek life.

I'm sure the #1 members mean well, but they aren't doing her any favors by taking her out to lunch right now. If anything, they're probably fueling false hope in your daughter. It's sad.
This. This. This.

3 may be her only choice to be greek. You never really get to know a chapter until you are with them for awhile. Perhaps she would be willing to try the new member period. She can always depledge before initiation.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot