GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,376
2 members and 1,374 guests
acg233, Sarak24034

Old 03-10-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinette View Post
I feel like saying a lot of stuff that I just deleted because I realized it would be way too identifying. So the only thing I'm going to say is that the 6-month marker of my mom's death is this week, and I hate it. I know that it's always going to suck, but it just feels like an emotional vacuum right now.
I hear you. I lost my mother nearly two years ago, and I so miss her. I still dream about her when she was younger and healthy... She loved cooking, and wrote out many recipes for me, and it's hard for me to hold back the tears when I'm reading her recipe for chicken curry or whatever.

Grieving takes as long as it takes.

Also, cancer sucks.

{{{{hug}}}}

Last edited by aephi alum; 03-10-2015 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Edit because I forgot to close a curly brace, and that is anathema to a software engineer :)
Old 03-10-2015, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

If you want a job working with veterans, you probably shouldn't mock them. Licensed mental health practitioners should work to break the stigma and not add to it. There is irony in the fact that woman lost her job of being a social work supervisor during national social worker month. I'm glad someone stepped up and did something about it.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone else get the feeling (mainly through the editing) that Lady Mary did it?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

WIFLSRN:

Just attended ACPA in Tampa and really enjoyed it! I realize I've gotten more confident but also more anxious in social settings - an odd feeling. The last few conferences I've attended I felt really alone, even though I was with classmates.

On a related note, if you know someone who knows someone looking for a summer intern from a graduate student affairs program, I could be your gal.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Wait, I actually came on here to say:

I went swimming this morning and it was great! I hate that I let myself miss the deadline to take a class on campus this semester, but will definitely have to make plans to swim this summer. What a full-body workout!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Banned

Good!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/...C0TT?ocid=iehp
Old 03-11-2015, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

The post I wrote got deleted. It said "(((((((clarinette)))))))) It's not much but I said a prayer for you. <3"

OAN: In my midnight internet wanderings, I stumbled onto a White Pride forum. I didn't even click past the first page and still feel slightly nauseated.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.

Last edited by StealthMode; 03-24-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I dislike starting a new job. It makes me so tired.

Last edited by xibair; 03-11-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: I'm tired.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Banned

Some idiot closed that thread so I shall say it here.

No, I don't consider white people evil. Racial inequality is not about evil. It is about power. I do consider some white people dumb and that includes some white GCers. Thetalady is among them.

The funny thing about thetalady trying to come at me in that thread is that I was silent for most of the white privileged stupidity in that thread. So don't use me as a diversion. The fact of the matter is it is not safe to assume no other Hispanics are offended. It is not safe to assume certain people complain about everything and make asses of themselves. Those assumptions are common responses that are predominantly made by white people. It happens quite often in GC race threads. Period.

Last edited by DrPhil; 03-11-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

I guess I look at folks from a white privileged perspective, but I try to look at the content of someone's heart, not the color of their skin.

And Dr. Phil, why do you get a by when you bash white people? It offends me. Change white to black and I imagine the majority of people would be offended. "Those assumptions are common responses that are predominately made by blackpeople."

Can't we try to get along?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I guess I look at folks from a white privileged perspective, but I try to look at the content of someone's heart, not the color of their skin.
I think we make a mistake, though, if we don't look at the color of skin. We shouldn't judge people by it, but we should recognize that it is an integral part of who they are. That's the problem with trying to be colorblind—in the valid desire to see what we have in common, it can make us blind to how we are different, and how the experiences that go with things like the color of skin contribute to who the person is. There's nothing wrong with differences as long as we don't make the mistake of equating "different" with "superior" or "inferior." I guess I'd say I try to see the person, which includes both the content of their heart and the color of their skin.

And FWIW, I don't read DrPhil as "bashing" white people. I see her using a distinctive, and yes provocative, style to try to get those in the majority to see things from a non-majority perspective, out of a belief that only by doing that can we all really get along. Perhaps that provocative style doesn't have the desired effect with everyone, but I, at least, don't feel bashed.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Totally agree with FSUZeta and thetalady as well. A lot of us are tired of any thread that faintly mentions race turning into a race war--driven by you, Phil. Most of us are totally against these recent racist actions (well, any racist actions) but no matter what we say, you proclaim it isn't right and you run down Whitey. There have to be better places to spout your anti-white feelings because attacking us makes you look horrible. We are not the enemy.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

The point at which you are calling those with whom you have a disagreement "idiots" and "dumb" is the point at which you need to ask yourself why you cannot engage in a rational discussion without resorting to juvenile name calling and gross generalizations. If the purpose was indeed to give a minority perspective it is rather counter productive to alienate and insult those who you are ostensibly trying to educate. Assumptions were indeed being made, but not necessarily by those accused.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 03-11-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
The point at which you are calling those with whom you have a disagreement....
No, this isn't about disagreeing. This is about powerful and privileged people who choose to be obtuse. I am always amused by people who are unconscious of how their group identity shapes their viewpoint (I am fully aware of how it shapes mine). Power and privilege allows white people to depict themselves as the only rational and reasonable people in a race discussion.

But preach to thetalady about this nonsense. She's the one who tried to come at me based on the assumption that I'm angry and hate white people. Neither is true but I don't care if usernames interpret my posts however they please. In my response to carnation I was asking carnation whether her white component of her identity is what allows her to assume that someone vocal about race is being overly sensitive. That is typically not something that someone who primarily identifies as racial and ethnic minority does---even when we disagree with someone. Surely carnation can grasp that she doesn't have to personally agree with someone's offense in order for it to be deemed legitimate and not making an ass of themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Totally agree with FSUZeta and thetalady as well. A lot of us are tired of any thread that faintly mentions race turning into a race war--driven by you, Phil. Most of us are totally against these recent racist actions (well, any racist actions) but no matter what we say, you proclaim it isn't right and you run down Whitey. There have to be better places to spout your anti-white feelings because attacking us makes you look horrible. We are not the enemy.
LOL.

Some of you need lessons in race relations and inequality. White people aren't the enemy when discussing race relations just like men aren't the enemy when discussing gender relations just like heterosexuals aren't the enemy when discussing heterocentrism...the list goes on. Power dynamics and inequality aren't personal and it isn't about there being (humans who are) enemies. It is about calling out power and privilege. And not everyone will agree regarding where the power and privilege are illustrated.

Let the record show, I did not drive the back and forth in that race thread. There was a back and forth before me. Unless people have selective memory. GCers get that sometimes. I guess I need to drive a race war in the SAE thread. I've been shirking my duties.

Last edited by DrPhil; 03-11-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

It is about disagreeing. Being rational and reasonable isn't a matter of race, and my criteria has nothing to do with it. This is a prime example of something innocuous being turned into a racial issue.

Being rational and reasonable means actually addressing issues which are brought up in the discussion. As an example, I asked what you, and those who wanted to argue that Ms. Gruber was justified in being offended, found offensive about nachos and maracas, the very specific items listed as offending her. I used the example of the Redskins to show that it was entirely possible for someone not of a certain group to understand how something could be offensive. Additionally, I could point to the fact that while not of the group understandably offended by the OK SAE incident, we are all united in understanding why it is horribly offensive and in condemning it. Cue the crickets. Or rather, cue the generalizations about white people. I said I could certainly be convinced that nachos and maracas were offensive, but I would need more than just "It's offensive because I find it offensive." Circular reasoning makes my head hurt. The thread addressed the very specific incident - you chose not to address the particulars of it and instead make sweeping generalizations.
If you find yourself being perceived a certain way consistently by a fair number of people, perhaps the problem is not that it is the ones who perceive you that way are obtuse.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 03-11-2015 at 08:28 PM.