GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 312,785
Threads: 115,313
Welcome to our newest member, Amelie9161

Old 02-08-2007, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Appalachian State - Possible NPC Expansion

Hello all!

Appalachian State University greek life is holding an official meeting for women interested in Panhellenic sorority expansion. This meeting will be with the greek life advisors, Aaron and Julie, on Tuesday February 20th at 5:30 in the Calloway Peak room in the Student Union.

All undergraduate women interested in the expansion are encouraged to go, as well as others from the greek community! Good luck to the wonderful group of ladies interested in bringing a new chapter to Appalachian!
Old 02-09-2007, 12:28 PM

That's awesome. Which sororities are currently at App State?

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

From their Greek Life Website it looks like they have 7 groups:
ADP, AF, CW, DZ, KD, FM, SK

http://greeks.appstate.edu/index.php...sition=145:141
Old 02-09-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
From their Greek Life Website it looks like they have 7 groups:
ADP, AF, CW, DZ, KD, FM, SK

http://greeks.appstate.edu/index.php...sition=145:141
The membership numbers don't seem to warrant a new group. I couldn't find what total is but a number of the groups are 10+ below the largest one. That tells me that more than a couple are below total.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Those numbers are mostly out of date though. Most are as of 2004 with only one 2006 that I saw.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Those numbers are mostly out of date though. Most are as of 2004 with only one 2006 that I saw.
No kidding

I wasn't referring to those numbers. I was referring to the numbers that can be found with the grades listed for Spring of 2006.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I am an App Alumna. I transfered to App halfway through my junior year. I was never an active collegiate greek at Appalachian, so forgive me if my numbers are wrong. (I was initiated into ZTA at TN Tech.) I believe total here is 70. The website information is outdated from what I just looked at. They have deferred (sp?) recruitment, so all chapers just picked up about 15-20 (I have NO clue what quota was) new ladies in January, also. There are groups under total (one I know is way under total, but is recieving help from their nationals to rebuild)

The main reason for the interest meeting is because of a group of 40-60 women who have formed an on campus interest group wanting to start a new chapter. They have worked really hard and so far contacted all the right people (NPC area advisors, Exec members of current chapers on campus, local alumni from other NPC groups, members of other NPC groups at other NC state universities.) They sought me out as a local ZTA Alumni, with a tie to Appalachian, and that is how I heard this news. They seem to have really built a big buzz around themselves on campus. From what I have heard Panhellenic at App is going to be voting whether or not to open for expansion this semester. The ladies are looking at several NPC chapters, including ZTA, and Tri-Delta.

I don't know if it will, but I hope it pans out well for them! Of course I will keep you all posted. Everyone let me know if you have any info! ZL.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
No kidding

I wasn't referring to those numbers. I was referring to the numbers that can be found with the grades listed for Spring of 2006.
Gotcha, didn't see those
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalZTA View Post
I am an App Alumna. I transfered to App halfway through my junior year. I was never an active collegiate greek at Appalachian, so forgive me if my numbers are wrong. (I was initiated into ZTA at TN Tech.) I believe total here is 70. The website information is outdated from what I just looked at. They have deferred (sp?) recruitment, so all chapers just picked up about 15-20 (I have NO clue what quota was) new ladies in January, also. There are groups under total (one I know is way under total, but is recieving help from their nationals to rebuild)

The main reason for the interest meeting is because of a group of 40-60 women who have formed an on campus interest group wanting to start a new chapter. They have worked really hard and so far contacted all the right people (NPC area advisors, Exec members of current chapers on campus, local alumni from other NPC groups, members of other NPC groups at other NC state universities.) They sought me out as a local ZTA Alumni, with a tie to Appalachian, and that is how I heard this news. They seem to have really built a big buzz around themselves on campus. From what I have heard Panhellenic at App is going to be voting whether or not to open for expansion this semester. The ladies are looking at several NPC chapters, including ZTA, and Tri-Delta.

I don't know if it will, but I hope it pans out well for them! Of course I will keep you all posted. Everyone let me know if you have any info! ZL.
That's cool that they're forming this way, and hopefully it works out for them This seems a case where expansion is probably a good idea, IMO, but my experience with it is slim to none.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm I think I have the sizes somewhere I will need to dig them out. I do know off the top of my head only 2 groups matched quota so not sure what's up with expansion talk....
Old 02-12-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfadpi View Post
They are waiting for NPC to tell them which sorority it may be. Maybe Kappa Kappa Gamma, Tri-Delt, or Zeta Tau Alpha is what he told me.
NPC won't "tell" anyone anything. A notice is sent to NPC letting them know the campus is open for expansion, and then the sororities who choose to send an expansion packet (and it might not include any of the sororities you mentioned). The campus Panhellenic then chooses which sororities they may want to have present (again, this might not include any of the sororities mentioned above) and from those, they choose the one they feel would be the best fit for the campus.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, just pointing out that it isn't really good to say "we want to be XYZ" only to have XYZ want nothing to do with the campus in question. If the interest group has a preference, the campus Panhellenic may take that into consideration, or they may not.

Also, if there is an interest group, depending on the NPC chosen, they may evaluate the interest group members and not take all of them. It would behoove the interest group to ask any NPC expressing interest if they will be accepted in toto or if individual interviews will be conducted.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it just me, or is the process by which this is happening contrary to the GC sentiment on how new sorority chapters ought to be established?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Is it just me, or is the process by which this is happening contrary to the GC sentiment on how new sorority chapters ought to be established?
It seems to be more the exception than the rule, but I think it's a great way to do it, as long as the campus panhellenic council is ok with adding a chapter.

If you get a group that large who want something different than what is currently offered on campus, adding a new chapter is really the only answer. Particularly if the campus doesn't want local greeks (for whatever reason).
Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
It isn't just GC sentiment, it's Panhellenic procedure.

I don't understand why Aaron and Julie are holding a meeting when there's already an established interest group.

It doesn't really matter, they can do whatever they want, if the college Panhellenic votes it down it's a moot point.

Believe me, if any of the national groups get wind of things not being done as they should, things will get straightened out quickly.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It isn't just GC sentiment, it's Panhellenic procedure.

I don't understand why Aaron and Julie are holding a meeting when there's already an established interest group.

It doesn't really matter, they can do whatever they want, if the college Panhellenic votes it down it's a moot point.

Believe me, if any of the national groups get wind of things not being done as they should, things will get straightened out quickly.
Of course, an email to the NPC Chair might do the same thing.......

Hmmm......I wonder who might do that? lol
Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't mean to start a war. I think a new sorority would be a good thing for campus. I think the sororities I named have good alumni, faculty, etc. there in Boone to help out. The meeting is to field questions from the girls about expansion - how it happens, when, time tables, etc. The girls have already sent in their GPAs, other campus involvements, etc. I am not a NPC rep. or anything so I don't know all about that stuff, but if they have that many girls interested with good qualifications, and with the great national reputation Appalachian has, why would they (NPC) not want to put a new sorority on?