GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 312,785
Threads: 115,313
Posts: 2,165,808
Welcome to our newest member, Amelie9161
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2007, 08:04 PM
PhenomenalZTA PhenomenalZTA is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 127
Appalachian State - Possible NPC Expansion

Hello all!

Appalachian State University greek life is holding an official meeting for women interested in Panhellenic sorority expansion. This meeting will be with the greek life advisors, Aaron and Julie, on Tuesday February 20th at 5:30 in the Calloway Peak room in the Student Union.

All undergraduate women interested in the expansion are encouraged to go, as well as others from the greek community! Good luck to the wonderful group of ladies interested in bringing a new chapter to Appalachian!
__________________
-Zeta Tau Alpha
-ZX Alumna
-Tri-Cities, TN Alumnae Chapter
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-09-2007, 12:28 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 18,038
That's awesome. Which sororities are currently at App State?
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2007, 01:15 PM
OleMissGlitter OleMissGlitter is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,923
From their Greek Life Website it looks like they have 7 groups:
ADP, AF, CW, DZ, KD, FM, SK

http://greeks.appstate.edu/index.php...sition=145:141
__________________
Alpha Omicron Pi
Inspire Ambition
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2007, 02:28 PM
SmartBlondeGPhB SmartBlondeGPhB is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
From their Greek Life Website it looks like they have 7 groups:
ADP, AF, CW, DZ, KD, FM, SK

http://greeks.appstate.edu/index.php...sition=145:141
The membership numbers don't seem to warrant a new group. I couldn't find what total is but a number of the groups are 10+ below the largest one. That tells me that more than a couple are below total.
__________________
GFB
Founded Upon a Rock....
Connect. Impact. Shine
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Drolefille Drolefille is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,655
Those numbers are mostly out of date though. Most are as of 2004 with only one 2006 that I saw.
__________________
From the SigmaTo the K!
Polyamorous, Pansexual and Proud of it!
It Gets Better
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2007, 03:07 PM
SmartBlondeGPhB SmartBlondeGPhB is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Those numbers are mostly out of date though. Most are as of 2004 with only one 2006 that I saw.
No kidding

I wasn't referring to those numbers. I was referring to the numbers that can be found with the grades listed for Spring of 2006.
__________________
GFB
Founded Upon a Rock....
Connect. Impact. Shine
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2007, 03:26 PM
PhenomenalZTA PhenomenalZTA is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 127
I am an App Alumna. I transfered to App halfway through my junior year. I was never an active collegiate greek at Appalachian, so forgive me if my numbers are wrong. (I was initiated into ZTA at TN Tech.) I believe total here is 70. The website information is outdated from what I just looked at. They have deferred (sp?) recruitment, so all chapers just picked up about 15-20 (I have NO clue what quota was) new ladies in January, also. There are groups under total (one I know is way under total, but is recieving help from their nationals to rebuild)

The main reason for the interest meeting is because of a group of 40-60 women who have formed an on campus interest group wanting to start a new chapter. They have worked really hard and so far contacted all the right people (NPC area advisors, Exec members of current chapers on campus, local alumni from other NPC groups, members of other NPC groups at other NC state universities.) They sought me out as a local ZTA Alumni, with a tie to Appalachian, and that is how I heard this news. They seem to have really built a big buzz around themselves on campus. From what I have heard Panhellenic at App is going to be voting whether or not to open for expansion this semester. The ladies are looking at several NPC chapters, including ZTA, and Tri-Delta.

I don't know if it will, but I hope it pans out well for them! Of course I will keep you all posted. Everyone let me know if you have any info! ZL.
__________________
-Zeta Tau Alpha
-ZX Alumna
-Tri-Cities, TN Alumnae Chapter
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Drolefille Drolefille is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
No kidding

I wasn't referring to those numbers. I was referring to the numbers that can be found with the grades listed for Spring of 2006.
Gotcha, didn't see those
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalZTA View Post
I am an App Alumna. I transfered to App halfway through my junior year. I was never an active collegiate greek at Appalachian, so forgive me if my numbers are wrong. (I was initiated into ZTA at TN Tech.) I believe total here is 70. The website information is outdated from what I just looked at. They have deferred (sp?) recruitment, so all chapers just picked up about 15-20 (I have NO clue what quota was) new ladies in January, also. There are groups under total (one I know is way under total, but is recieving help from their nationals to rebuild)

The main reason for the interest meeting is because of a group of 40-60 women who have formed an on campus interest group wanting to start a new chapter. They have worked really hard and so far contacted all the right people (NPC area advisors, Exec members of current chapers on campus, local alumni from other NPC groups, members of other NPC groups at other NC state universities.) They sought me out as a local ZTA Alumni, with a tie to Appalachian, and that is how I heard this news. They seem to have really built a big buzz around themselves on campus. From what I have heard Panhellenic at App is going to be voting whether or not to open for expansion this semester. The ladies are looking at several NPC chapters, including ZTA, and Tri-Delta.

I don't know if it will, but I hope it pans out well for them! Of course I will keep you all posted. Everyone let me know if you have any info! ZL.
That's cool that they're forming this way, and hopefully it works out for them This seems a case where expansion is probably a good idea, IMO, but my experience with it is slim to none.
__________________
From the SigmaTo the K!
Polyamorous, Pansexual and Proud of it!
It Gets Better
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Aphigal Aphigal is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 724
Hmmm I think I have the sizes somewhere I will need to dig them out. I do know off the top of my head only 2 groups matched quota so not sure what's up with expansion talk....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:11 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfadpi View Post
They are waiting for NPC to tell them which sorority it may be. Maybe Kappa Kappa Gamma, Tri-Delt, or Zeta Tau Alpha is what he told me.
NPC won't "tell" anyone anything. A notice is sent to NPC letting them know the campus is open for expansion, and then the sororities who choose to send an expansion packet (and it might not include any of the sororities you mentioned). The campus Panhellenic then chooses which sororities they may want to have present (again, this might not include any of the sororities mentioned above) and from those, they choose the one they feel would be the best fit for the campus.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, just pointing out that it isn't really good to say "we want to be XYZ" only to have XYZ want nothing to do with the campus in question. If the interest group has a preference, the campus Panhellenic may take that into consideration, or they may not.

Also, if there is an interest group, depending on the NPC chosen, they may evaluate the interest group members and not take all of them. It would behoove the interest group to ask any NPC expressing interest if they will be accepted in toto or if individual interviews will be conducted.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Senusret I Senusret I is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 12,835
Is it just me, or is the process by which this is happening contrary to the GC sentiment on how new sorority chapters ought to be established?
__________________
I am proud that my last post on this site was telling Kevin to suck my dick.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Drolefille Drolefille is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Is it just me, or is the process by which this is happening contrary to the GC sentiment on how new sorority chapters ought to be established?
It seems to be more the exception than the rule, but I think it's a great way to do it, as long as the campus panhellenic council is ok with adding a chapter.

If you get a group that large who want something different than what is currently offered on campus, adding a new chapter is really the only answer. Particularly if the campus doesn't want local greeks (for whatever reason).
__________________
From the SigmaTo the K!
Polyamorous, Pansexual and Proud of it!
It Gets Better
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 33,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Is it just me, or is the process by which this is happening contrary to the GC sentiment on how new sorority chapters ought to be established?
It isn't just GC sentiment, it's Panhellenic procedure.

I don't understand why Aaron and Julie are holding a meeting when there's already an established interest group.

It doesn't really matter, they can do whatever they want, if the college Panhellenic votes it down it's a moot point.

Believe me, if any of the national groups get wind of things not being done as they should, things will get straightened out quickly.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-12-2007, 02:39 PM
SmartBlondeGPhB SmartBlondeGPhB is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Posts: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It isn't just GC sentiment, it's Panhellenic procedure.

I don't understand why Aaron and Julie are holding a meeting when there's already an established interest group.

It doesn't really matter, they can do whatever they want, if the college Panhellenic votes it down it's a moot point.

Believe me, if any of the national groups get wind of things not being done as they should, things will get straightened out quickly.
Of course, an email to the NPC Chair might do the same thing.......

Hmmm......I wonder who might do that? lol
__________________
GFB
Founded Upon a Rock....
Connect. Impact. Shine
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-12-2007, 03:14 PM
khfadpi khfadpi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 24
I didn't mean to start a war. I think a new sorority would be a good thing for campus. I think the sororities I named have good alumni, faculty, etc. there in Boone to help out. The meeting is to field questions from the girls about expansion - how it happens, when, time tables, etc. The girls have already sent in their GPAs, other campus involvements, etc. I am not a NPC rep. or anything so I don't know all about that stuff, but if they have that many girls interested with good qualifications, and with the great national reputation Appalachian has, why would they (NPC) not want to put a new sorority on?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fraternity Expansion at Ball State neonsparkles Greek Life 18 07-17-2011 01:33 AM
Possibility of NPC Expansion at North Carolina State U ? exlurker Greek Life 4 07-28-2005 04:54 PM
Expansion at Iowa State IowaStatePhiPsi Greek Life 6 02-02-2005 12:01 AM
Expansion @ Armstrong Atlantic State University- GA (yay!) KSUViolet06 Greek Life 16 12-08-2004 04:35 PM
sorority expansion at New Mexico State Univ. AZ-AlphaXi Greek Life 39 07-04-2003 12:36 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.