GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,413
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LarryByday
» Online Users: 572
1 members and 571 guests
davidsholzeo679

Old 03-24-2014, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there a specific "look" in order to be recruited?

My cousin was in Kappa Kappa Gamma when she was in college and I asked her what you have to look like to get into a sorority and basically all she told me was "you have to be cute, smart, funny, and personable". Sooo...that didn't really help me.

I'm transferring to a really laid back college (think hippy town) for next year. I really want to rush, however, I'm not quite how to "look". I know they look for natural looks, or so I've read. I compete in pageants, so I'm used to getting ready almost everyday. Usually, for me, that means eyes (shadow, mascara, and I also have lash extensions), face (concealer, foundation, powder, bronzer, blush, and highlighter), and then hair (I have itip permanent 18" extensions that I get done every 4 months). Although I may wear *alot* of makeup, it's usually always natural looking and never over done. I also dress very nicely almost everyday, so that means like skirts and dresses (that are all fingertip length. Modest is hottest!) I only own like one pair of jeans and hardly ever wear them because I live in a really hot state. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, would any of this come across as "fake" during rush? I don't want people to think I'm trying too hard because that's genuinely how I dress almost everyday. It's not that I'm trying too hard or anything or have no confidence because of the amount of make up I wear, It's just the fact that I love putting it on and getting ready and feeling like girly and what not. I'd be perfectly ok with wearing yoga pants, my hair in a pony tail, and no make up for a day...or a week.

Also, what do people look for in a pledge? I have a 3.9 gpa, I will be transferring in as a sophomore, I'm double majoring, I've been a figure skater almost all my life and have been coaching skating since I was 11, with almost 10 years of volunteer work under my belt, and I also graduated high school a year early. I'm kind of shy at first, but I'm not afraid to go up to someone and initiate conversation and I'm also good at small talk and acting interested/engaged without coming off as fake.

I hope none of that sounded like I was bragging about myself! I just didn't know what to say haha I don't think I've ever typed that much about myself ever.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerchild94 View Post
My cousin was in Kappa Kappa Gamma when she was in college and I asked her what you have to look like to get into a sorority and basically all she told me was "you have to be cute, smart, funny, and personable". Sooo...that didn't really help me.

I'm transferring to a really laid back college (think hippy town) for next year. I really want to rush, however, I'm not quite how to "look". I know they look for natural looks, or so I've read. I compete in pageants, so I'm used to getting ready almost everyday. Usually, for me, that means eyes (shadow, mascara, and I also have lash extensions), face (concealer, foundation, powder, bronzer, blush, and highlighter), and then hair (I have itip permanent 18" extensions that I get done every 4 months). Although I may wear *alot* of makeup, it's usually always natural looking and never over done. I also dress very nicely almost everyday, so that means like skirts and dresses (that are all fingertip length. Modest is hottest!) I only own like one pair of jeans and hardly ever wear them because I live in a really hot state. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, would any of this come across as "fake" during rush? I don't want people to think I'm trying too hard because that's genuinely how I dress almost everyday. It's not that I'm trying too hard or anything or have no confidence because of the amount of make up I wear, It's just the fact that I love putting it on and getting ready and feeling like girly and what not. I'd be perfectly ok with wearing yoga pants, my hair in a pony tail, and no make up for a day...or a week.

Also, what do people look for in a pledge? I have a 3.9 gpa, I will be transferring in as a sophomore, I'm double majoring, I've been a figure skater almost all my life and have been coaching skating since I was 11, with almost 10 years of volunteer work under my belt, and I also graduated high school a year early. I'm kind of shy at first, but I'm not afraid to go up to someone and initiate conversation and I'm also good at small talk and acting interested/engaged without coming off as fake.

I hope none of that sounded like I was bragging about myself! I just didn't know what to say haha I don't think I've ever typed that much about myself ever.
Your cousin is right. There is no specific look for a sorority and they really are looking for smart, pretty, nice, personable girls.

I'm not sure what school you're going to, but with your extracurriculars and GPA, you seem to be pretty well prepared with a strong background.

In regards to the makeup thing, I would just try to look natural, while still accenting and highlighting your features with eyeliner, blush etc. No need for heavy stage makeup because if you're in a hot state, you'll regret caking on the makeup when you're walking outside in the sun all day! Keep it light, but still look right!

If you have any questions, you can PM me and depending on where you go to school, I can help you a with a bit more detail!
When you decide to GO GREEK
!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 PM

You're over thinking it.

Sororities are groups of friends. Are you a good friend? Do you come across as likeable and someone girls would like to befriend? If so, you're on the right track.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerchild94 View Post

1) Be yourself.
2) Look presentable.
3) Practice your conversation skills.

Your school will have certain guidelines about what to wear during each round of recruitment. It varies across schools - check online, and call the Greek life office if there's no information elsewhere. Don't go crazy with the hair and makeup; think about how you'd get ready for church or a job interview.

Your GPA is great and you have a good number of activities. Be prepared to talk about them. While you should look nice and put together, your bigger concern should be your conversations with the sisters and how you relate to them.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 03-24-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy 80's Batman! That's a lot of makeup.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestcoastWonder View Post
Your cousin is right. There is no specific look for a sorority and they really are looking for smart, pretty, nice, personable girls.

I'm not sure what school you're going to, but with your extracurriculars and GPA, you seem to be pretty well prepared with a strong background.

In regards to the makeup thing, I would just try to look natural, while still accenting and highlighting your features with eyeliner, blush etc. No need for heavy stage makeup because if you're in a hot state, you'll regret caking on the makeup when you're walking outside in the sun all day! Keep it light, but still look right!

If you have any questions, you can PM me and depending on where you go to school, I can help you a with a bit more detail!
And which sorority is it that you are a member of?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I suggest you edit your post to remove information that will make you easily identifiable going through rush/recruitment.

Then you can message WestcoastWonder and ASTalumna06 and politely ask them to remove their qfp's after you've edited your post.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Just be yourself. Visit the school and take a tour. You'll get a sense of what people look like there. Also, visit the school's Greek Life website and you'll see what their members look like. Most schools publish a recruitment pamphlet with suggestions of what to wear each round. Take your cue from those photos. You will be fine.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you checked the Panhellenic website, or the facebook pages and websites of chapters at your school? That would probably give you a pretty good indication of the school's Greek life style.

FWIW, you described the school as "hippie" and yourself as decidedly... un-hippie. Sounds to me like you already have a hunch what the answer to your question is.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 AM

Please, please for the love of all that's holy, the terminology in your title should be what do you have to do to "get a bid" or "receive a bid." This isn't the military or Hare Krishna. You don't "get recruited. "

I know she doesn't know any better, but this is just uber nails on a chalkboard to me and another reason we should jettison these asinine terms that have nothing to do with what actually occurs during rush.

As far as pageant aesthetic vs hippie aesthetic, look at the Facebook pages of the school's sorority chapters and see what they're wearing.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

For some reason, I am so hoping this is a troll.....

No, for several reasons I am hoping this is a troll...
Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
For some reason, I am so hoping this is a troll.....

No, for several reasons I am hoping this is a troll...
Envisioning hair extensions that go straight up...
Old 03-25-2014, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Titchou, ma petite chou, I am with you!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

OP - you ARE a TROLL (channeling Maury Povich).

#annoyed
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I was hoping this thread would be full of snarky comments, but, no dice.