GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,226
2 members and 1,224 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-15-2007, 06:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool APO Philippines

please share your points of view on AphiO philippines..as well as on the philippine fraternity system..

Thanks!

Joseph
Alpha Xi Chapter
Alpha Phi Omega (Philippines)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

What is there to have a point of view on? APO-Phils. are our brothers, too. Most of us aren't intimately acquainted with the Philippines fraternity system.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipinoAPO View Post
please share your points of view on AphiO philippines..as well as on the philippine fraternity system..

Thanks!

Joseph
Alpha Xi Chapter
Alpha Phi Omega (Philippines)
I think it's wonderful that APO has expanded beyond the United States and has a strong base in the Philippines. It's a wonderful organization and I only hope it expands further. Additionally, I think it's great that Philippine universities have developed their own fraternity and sorority systems.

Most everyone is very supportive of international chapters of fraternities/sororities as long as they are officially recognized by the governing body of the organization.

Problems arise when any fraternity/sorority -- regardless of location -- illegally steals copyrighted trademarks (crests, mottoes, symbols, creeds) or operates as a copycat/rogue organization with no recognition by the real fraternity. This happens in the Philippines, and it also happens in the United States. Copycat organizations are incredibly offensive to the real members who know the real meaning behind their precious symbols, rituals and creeds. Just because a group copies the Greek letters of an organization does not mean that they're brothers/sisters of that org.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 04-15-2007, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap View Post
Most everyone is very supportive of international chapters of fraternities/sororities as long as they are officially recognized by the governing body of the organization.

Problems arise when any fraternity/sorority -- regardless of location -- illegally steals copyrighted trademarks (crests, mottoes, symbols, creeds) or operates as a copycat/rogue organization with no recognition by the real fraternity. This happens in the Philippines, and it also happens in the United States. Copycat organizations are incredibly offensive to the real members who know the real meaning behind their precious symbols, rituals and creeds. Just because a group copies the Greek letters of an organization does not mean that they're brothers/sisters of that org.
I agree.
I do have a question: Is there, in truth, a real APO group in The Philippines?

I ask only because of recent activities on this board and way OP's question was posed and do not mean to hurt nor offend anyone.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
I agree.

I ask only because of recent activities on this board and way OP's question was posed and do not mean to hurt nor offend anyone.
Yes, there is!

http://www.apo.org.ph/

Old 04-15-2007, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I agree.

Looking at APO's website, it doesn't appear that there are any APO chapters outside of the United States.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, there is!

http://www.apo.org.ph/
Please take note that the site is on and about the APO's in the Philippines.
Is there any kind of information on or from the National APO about this group?

As some of us have seen, again from other recent events on this board, local web postings are not always true or correct.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Looking at APO's website, it doesn't appear that there are any APO chapters outside of the United States.
I noticed that as well.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I noticed that as well.
From apo.org (APO USA) site about the USA-Philippines connection

http://www.apo.org/show/National_Pro...ld/Philippines

and

http://www.apo.org/show/National_Pro...he_World/ICAPO

The second link describes the formation of the international governing body of Alpha Phi Omega (ICAPO)

Hope that helps!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
From apo.org (APO USA) site about the USA-Philippines connection

http://www.apo.org/show/National_Pro...ld/Philippines

and

http://www.apo.org/show/National_Pro...he_World/ICAPO

The second link describes the formation of the international governing body of Alpha Phi Omega (ICAPO)

Hope that helps!
I am glad to learn that, in this case, there is a real connection between the two groups.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

If you look at APO USA's website, you might not find any chapters outside of the USA..that's because APO Phils. is independent from APO USA though both organizations are the same Alpha Phi Omega Service Fraternity. Both organizations are unified in the International Council of Alpha Phi Omega (ICAPO).
Old 04-16-2007, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Aware from the beginning

Alpha Phi Omega-USA was aware from the begining that Alpha Phi Omega Philippines was coming into existance. Representatives from APO Philippines were present at the 1950 APO-USA National Convention (Less than a year after the formation of the APO-RP) and were introduced by the APO-USA National Officers to the Convention at large at one of the Banquets.

Although we (APO-USA & APO-RP) have walked slightly different paths when it comes to our relationships with our local Scouting organizations, our opening to women and our relationships with other Greek Letter Organizations in the respective countries, I am proud to call each of them my Brother and Sister (Brod & Sis).

On the Alpha Phi Omega National website, www.apo.org , select National Programs and then under that, International Relations. That should give a good amount of information. Unfortunately the pages have not been updated with the effort in Australia, but I'll nudge them...

Yours in Leadership, Friendship and Service
Randolph Finder
Alpha Phi Omega History and Archives Cmte.
Alpha Phi Omega International Relations Cmte.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Although we (APO-USA & APO-RP) have walked slightly different paths when it comes to our relationships with our local Scouting organizations, our opening to women and our relationships with other Greek Letter Organizations in the respective countries, I am proud to call each of them my Brother and Sister (Brod & Sis).

Yours in Leadership, Friendship and Service
Randolph Finder
Alpha Phi Omega History and Archives Cmte.
Alpha Phi Omega International Relations Cmte.[/QUOTE]

In behalf of all the brothers and sisters of AphiO-RP, WE are very proud to be to be brothers and sisters to all members of Alpha Phi Omega!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Ability to transfer membership.

One question that I see coming up occasionally is ability to participate in the organization of other Nation's organization. From what I understand, brothers of APO-USA are able to become part of the APO-Phil alumni associations, but I don't know if this is true of all APO-Phil AAs. I don't think the reverse is possible, but I think it was up for consideration at the last convention.

What is definitely out in the wings as a question is ability to become an active brother on becoming a student at a college in the country that one did not initate in. (An APO-Phil brother or sister at Stanford U, or an APO-USA brother at UPDiliman.) The only times I've actually heard of this happening, an APO-Phil Brod at a school with an APO-USA chapter, the APO-USA chapter dealt with the situation by making the APO-Phil Brod an honorary member of the chapter and APO-USA.

Verification becomes part of the mix, though...

YiLFS
Randolph Finder
Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
One question that I see coming up occasionally is ability to participate in the organization of other Nation's organization. From what I understand, brothers of APO-USA are able to become part of the APO-Phil alumni associations, but I don't know if this is true of all APO-Phil AAs. I don't think the reverse is possible, but I think it was up for consideration at the last convention.

What is definitely out in the wings as a question is ability to become an active brother on becoming a student at a college in the country that one did not initate in. (An APO-Phil brother or sister at Stanford U, or an APO-USA brother at UPDiliman.) The only times I've actually heard of this happening, an APO-Phil Brod at a school with an APO-USA chapter, the APO-USA chapter dealt with the situation by making the APO-Phil Brod an honorary member of the chapter and APO-USA.

Verification becomes part of the mix, though...

YiLFS
Randolph Finder

it's a good thing you brought this up brother.. i have been thinking of it too.. i hope ICAPO would be able to work out a solution so brothers of different countries are able to be actives should they move to another country..i think it would strengthen the bond between different APO jurisdictions and among brothers of different countries as well.