GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,556
0 members and 2,556 guests
No Members online

Old 11-20-2001, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Rushing at 25?

what do you think about rushing at 25?

Last edited by volgirl2376; 07-17-2003 at 05:46 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-20-2001, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

need more info?

Hi!

Well, I supose that I'd need more information in order to answer your question. I remember you asking about this before, but I don't recall what your specific situation is. What year in school are you? Have you been through the recruitment process before? What have you done already?

......Kelly
Old 11-20-2001, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Heather
I went to nearby UT-Chattanooga so I heard a little about rush up there (at UTK). I got the impression that it's extrememly competitive up there (although they do have a very large Greek system), more so than at UTC. It wasn't uncommon for us (at UTC) to pledge an occasional junior but even they were usually around 21 years old. I really don't think any of the groups pledged anyone much older than that. From what I know, UTK is very selective and tends to give bids to mostly freshman and a few sophomores. I'm not trying to discourage you in any way (But I did want to pass on what I had heard) and wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to pursue!!!
Old 11-20-2001, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hi volgirl,

I don't know if you've seen the replies that we posted on the DZ forum for you, but I would strongly encourage you to check into alumnae initiation options if it looks like being a collegiate Greek at your school will be difficult. Please keep us updated on whatever you decide, and let me know if I can assist you in any way.

Carrie
Old 11-20-2001, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Just do it.
Old 11-20-2001, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
volgirl,

I rushed when I was 26. Although I was cut after the 2nd round,I would not trade my experience for the world. I'd be more then happy to tell you about my experience. You can either email me of pm me.
Old 11-21-2001, 02:02 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by dzrose93
I would strongly encourage you to check into alumnae initiation options if it looks like being a collegiate Greek at your school will be difficult.
I would like to mention that in most cases for alumnae initiates, you cannot pursue alumnae iniation if you presently meet the criteria for Collegian Membership. So, if someone is in school full time (rather than working) working on their undergrad, I would suspect that they would not be eligible for Alumnae Initiation, as they could feasibly rush.

However, if someone already has an undergrad degree (and say, they're doing a post-grad degree) or if they're married and back at school, in most sorority cases, the woman would have the option of alumnae status.

If you wanted to pursue Alumnae Initiation, yet you meet the criteria for a Collegian Member, you *MAY* be able to get considered, based on the fact that you're slightly older than the "typical" rushee would usually be (i.e. 18, 19, 20).
Old 11-21-2001, 09:34 PM

volgirl,

Not all NPC sororities do alumna initiation... I wish mine did...

If you're an undergrad, your best option to join a GLO is through formal or informal rush. Your age should be irrelevant ~ if you're a 25-year-old who took some time off before going to college, and you're now a freshman, it's no different than an 18-year-old who went straight through from high school.

If you already have your bachelor's, you should pursue alumna initiation, because you no longer meet the criteria for collegiate membership.

Good luck with whatever you decide to pursue.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that this really depends upon where you are in school and why you want to affiliate. Most 25 year olds want to affiliate for lifetime reasons, not for the same reasons that most 18 year olds affiliate. I've chapters pledge members who were slightly older -- sometimes they are able to fit into the chapter, other times they aren't. It depends upon the campus, the chapter and the members' intersts.

Good luck no matter what you decide and never forget that you'll have a chance to join some groups as an alum after you get your bachelors.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I agree with Skip. Just do it! Besides what's the worst that can happen? You don't get a bid, but at least you tried. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2001, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ana2225 Send a message via Yahoo to ana2225
Go For it!!

I'm not sure what kind of campus you are on, but in my chapter it is not uncommon for people 25yrs and up to rush. I am on a commuter campus and the student population is older then
the "normal" college age. I think that it is wondeful to have a mix of ages, because older members offer a great variety of life experiences. We currently have a member who is 29, engaged and has a 9yr old son. She is one of our greatest members and our chapter does not look at her as any different. So all in all I say if your meant to be greek....GO FOR IT!!!!! You'll be happy you did...
Old 12-06-2001, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

You could always go through formal or informal rush and see what happens. It would probably be a great experience and get you familiar with all of the GLOs on your campus. The worst is that you will not receive a bid. It will still leave your options open for alumnae initiation. Just be sure not to accept a bid from a GLO if you don't think that it is the one for you.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

hey there
I think it is a good idea. My cousin pledged us this semester and was 24, while we had no problem gib=ving her a bid, she did while pledging. She complained a lot that she was too old for this etc, and too practical for it etc, which did piss a lot of sisters off.
Anyhow, her age was not an issue with us until she made it one.
I honestly think if you are a freshmen there should be no difference, but I think a few factors they may play into it are:
How do you look, old for your age, young for age
How do you act: really mature, or are you still like a 2 year old at heart, ex: are you willing to mix, meet new people, not feel like you overpower the sisters bc they are younger than you.
For ex my cousin kept sayiong she did not want a big bc she could not look up to people younger than her.
I tried to tell her it's not numerical age, but sorority age.(you look up to sisters before you regardless of age)
My point, I think there is no reason you should not do this, and I hope you get a bid
My advice: the less you make your age an issue the less the sisters will
GOOD LUCK
Old 12-07-2001, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I MEANT TO TYPE 20 YEAR OLD AT HEART NOT 2!
Old 01-12-2002, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

We bidded a girl last year that was 24 or 25, she is older than the rest of us. We liked her suring rush, that when it came time to go over stats such as grades we kept her because we liked her. Another sorority has bidded someone who had a husband in the military. If you are eligible to rush, then do it! You'll never know until you try!